I'm looking for a new hardware sampler and sequencer I was almost sure about getting an OT. Now I found more information about the Pioneer Toraiz and I'm confused.
I'm mostly creating with a modular setup, some synths and plugins but I need something to control them reliably. I'm not into extensive sample mangling since the creative sound design happens on my synths (and some DAW FX). In other words: I need a hardware to cage the crazy random stuff and at the same time sequence some synths.
I have in mind two setups:
A: everything connected (Analog Rytm, Toraiz/OT, Synths) -> Interface
DAW as a mixer (bigger live performances / studio production)
B: just AR + Toraiz/OT (smaller live performances)
here are the pros and cons I found
Pioneer Toraiz SP-16
- 8 outputs (vs 4)
- Dave Smith filters (but only as bus filter (as insert fx in firm. 1.3))
- big color touch screen + 16 pads
- young update cycle
- better sound quality (?)
- only digital fx filters for each track
- sample length is limited to 32 seconds
- crossfader (for fake dj scratching)
- smaller and stacks nicely to my Analog Rytm with wooden sides
What else would I miss if I go for a Toraiz instead of an Octatrack?