Stop justifying your purchases

You mean how YOU try to?

See how you’re including everyone on this forum in this?

You’re not being rude, but you’re projecting. I don’t think it’s your intention (I hope not at least), but it’s fair to point that out still. Maybe it can help you bring that argument home.

2 Likes

you mean it makes more sense to discuss the form of discussion and not discuss the content of the discussion?

I think what I said. Enjoy your thread :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

It’s indeed all about style and content.
The way you put things are rude.
Please take the time to understand why people react that way, you might find that when you want to talk to people about any subject, it is more appropriate to speak about your own feelings, how you become conscious of something, than to project your feelings on others, use the imperative form (ie an order) and other should/should not.

By the way, the heart of the discussion is GAS, and has already been discussed here and there, as I suggested earlier. I was close to merging this discussion to a previous thread, and didn’t only because the way you put it was a red alert for thread explosion.

2 Likes

please do so … close, merge, this is fine

Stop telling me what to do, you’re not my real dad anyway

14 Likes

:joy:

I find it interesting to observe - here (and elsewhere) - the mechanisms that drive the collective sense of excitement, anticipation, and sometimes also of broken promises, deception, etc. whenever new gear is announced. I mean it is a community with its opinion leaders, more frequent posters, some members who engage in very particular and recognizable ways, etc. And I see no reason, why there should not also be space to show off a bit or maybe get some peer recognition and support for having bought (or sold) something. I think it is clear that forums such as this one are set up to construct brand loyalty and to enable companies to gain some understanding of user needs and concerns, but I don’t think this is part of a conspiracy seeking to make us acquire tons of unnecessary gear.

3 Likes

I think it is more complicated than that @faktoid I think most people are just looking for a setup that gives them the capabilities and workflow that they need/desire. I think electronic instruments are very different than more traditional instruments in that they are more complex and less specific.

For example you don’t see as many drummers or guitarists with so many instruments, of course there are definitely gear heads, but nowhere as commonly as with synths I think.

I think that synth people tend to be more focussed on features, sound and technology, and it can become a bit of an obsession, sure, but often it is not until one has owned a synth or sequencer or drum machine for a while until it is apparent if it sounds right/fits in the set up/has some shortcomings that may require something else added etc.

Then look at how developments in the market can affect purchase decisions, in recent years the resurgence of modular, polymetric/polyrhythmic sequencing, resurgence of now affordable old technologies like FM and analogue, portable gear, user configurable gear and so on - the creative person will always be curious, and that is partly why GAS exists.
And forums like this exist for users to share experiences, mostly.

Maybe don’t try to cure GAS, just try to manage it better, AFAIK there is no cure other than giving it all up, but aint nobody got no time for that :laughing:

5 Likes

Good point.

By the way, I came here not because of the fascination for gear, but for the help I needed to understand my Octatrack.
This place is the most valuable resource for such help, which is needed when you’re in the place between having bought gear and trying to make music.

2 Likes

Factoid.(OP) So what is your latest purchase? If you only have the OT(as you say) then this is your latest purchase. It doesn’t have to be yesterday. Latest can be any timespan. Your thinking is narrow minded.

1 Like

There’s a bit of a problem these days with people assuming that their own experiences/thoughts are the same as everyone else’s experiences/thoughts, which then causes upset/confusion when they have to share a space with other people with different experiences/thoughts.

Just my experience/thoughts.

Others may feel differently.

10 Likes

Topic closed after OP’s request and a few flags