Stimming - Elbphilharmonie Sessions - OT+DT+Microfreak

Concert with Octatrack, Digitakt and Microfreak

Interview in German:

He mentions his own “Stimming Mastering Unit”?

11 Likes

https://2020.superbooth.com/de/doctron-stimming-instant-mastering-chain.html

Interesting devices - maybe similar to:

Stimmings device looks a little bit smaller, more transportable. I doubt that it will come cheap as an AH.

2 Likes

The Stimming “Instant Mastering Chain” is a fabled device he’s been working on. I think it’s basically some pre amps and a compressor that he has at the end of the chain for his live sets. If he ever gets the device released, he’d probably make some solid bucks. Looking forward to checking out this set. Cheers.

2 Likes

But the AH is mainly a distortion unit, not a real mastering tool. On the other hand, I guesstimate a 3k+ price tag for the „Stimming mastering chain“. Still, sound is awesome!

I had some brief email exchanges with Stimming regarding the device over last year. His latest comment (mid February) was that they were in the process of running the latest test-runs on a pre-series and that they were aiming for a launch hopefully this Summer.

6 Likes

Nice! Looking forward to some review.

Wow, this Stimming set is soooo good. Thanks for the post

2 Likes

I don’t think it makes sense at this high a price. Though, I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up around 1k euros / dollars.

That would be cool!

Boutique manufacturer with boutique prices because of small numbers. which I think is ok.

Nice video… not all his tracks are to my taste but the start and end of the set are really nice and I’ll always have a special place in my heart for his early stuff, used to listen to his RA podcast a lot. Clearly knows his way round the gear, I always find it impressive (as more of a techno head) to see people doing such melodic stuff with all hardware. Seems like a super cool guy from the Electronic Beats videos too.

From the “poster” view of the video I thought he was playing out on a balcony, over a river in a port city, and I thought, “Ah… A Flock of Seagulls!”.

The choice of the Microfreak is interesting, out of all the equipment he must have access to. I wouldn’t trust that keyboard in live performance, but he seems to be using it mostly for texture, and playing the knobs more than the keys.

I wanted more overhead views of what he was actually doing. Stop cutting away to the scenery! I’ve been to Hamburg, and it is not that attractive.

1 Like

Haha, yeah, but I am sure, that the main target group for such videos is the listener not the fellow musician :stuck_out_tongue: You can see that in his interview, where there not a single interesting fact other than mentioning his own upcoming hardware.

1 Like

He will get his mastering unit released this year as mentioned in the second video at 3:35.

Looking forward to that it is!

Why not an AH? Price maybe?

Yes and no. Hamburg is a nice city. :ok_hand:

1 Like

I shouldn’t take digs at Hamburg, I was only there for a few hours en route to Lübeck. And my German isn’t good enough to understand more than fragments of the interview…!

YT doesn’t translate with sub?
He was inside the Elbphilharmonie in an office there to perform in the sunset. Due to the pandemic all his concerts got canceled and he was offered to play there instead.

The Microfreak is very versatile and lightweight. Ideal for the traveling performance artist. And it can get powered by USB.