Stereo sampler in DT form factor?

X=each pad

Dirtywave M8. Seriously. Stereo samples, direct from the SD card, slicing, sampling, resampling, 2 enveloppes, 2 lfos (and so much more with the tables), effects, internal midi loopback (!), the sequencer is so much more powerful than the Elektron boxesā€¦

And Iā€™m not talking about the synths in there, the FM synth for example is as powerful (if not more) as the Digitone, Macrosynths, Wavesynthā€¦ (and the one that is coming will also be huge)

All in all, the M8 has a Monomachine vibe and an OT vibe that is really cool.

Also, Gotharmanā€™s Little Deformer, it has been on my radar for a while now, seems like a really great crazy experimental sampler in a relatively small form factor. One day maybe, one dayā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™ve found for me if I want to get true randomness with my samples I will sample lock the steps and then just turn down the track percentage. Same with the random midi lfo. Their random when it comes to those donā€™t seem so random for some reason.

you also could use a S/H with random lfo to give any parameter random quality, like make it a different pitch or decay time everytime its hit within the lfo depths range.

to add to the discussion of other gear recsā€¦ i think you can make it work with elektron tbh but polyend stuff looks interesting to me and could probably accomplish it as well

Audio example ? Without real round robin, on DT as @DaveMech Iā€™d also use a saw lfo on slots, bipolar, with a middle sample as reference. Eventually modulate the speed with lfo 2 or plock different speed with % condition.
On OT Iā€™d use slices.

There are real round robin possibilities with midi loopback and midi processing (sending different slots/slices values consecutively each a specific note is received).

2 Likes

ā€¦ that of course also will lead occasionally to repeated samples, which makes it just a hard way to get the same-ish result as random lfo -> slot ā€¦

Random or round robin ?

round :wink: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3 ā€¦ independed of the rhythmical values (trig positions)*.

(*Here I mean that if - for this example - I put a trig on 1 and 8, I would hear sample 1 and 2, not two times sample 1.)

(((I donā€™t care about the ā€œroundā€ as much as about not having the same sample too close. And with Elektronā€™s randomness, I hear much too often directly repeated samples (or synth ā€˜settingsā€™ on other Elektron boxes).)))

1 Like

i found a video explaining the S/H thing i was talking about, i think you can go a long with with the same sample using humanizing techniques

Yes. And thats your trade off if those features are deal breakers for you.

Personally I find the digi boxes too small and cramped up. :slight_smile:

Also if you donā€™t care about padsā€¦ half of the MPC is useless for you :joy:

nah thatā€™s like saying a carpenter canā€™t build you the perfect chair because he can also build you a great tableā€¦ just haveā€™em make the chairā€¦ otoh if it doesnā€™t feel right then nothing will make it feel right, I understand that

Donā€™t know if i understand it right but isā€™nt this round robin do able with the Digitakt timestretch approach? What if you load a resampled pattern made with p locked desired sounds on equal divided steps into a slot instead of a breakbeat loop.

1 Like

sorry to everyone & thanks for the well-meant advice, unfortunately these have nothing to do with round robin for multiple samples of one percussion instrument, i.e. i can only ignore them in order to not completely derail this thread about sampler hardware :sunflower:

3 Likes

I never liked Robin anyways. :rofl:

63e16a38a0f8c

7 Likes

Thereā€™s that native instruments machine thing, which is kind of hardware. Its large though some of the drum software uses round robin multi samples.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:

So true (except for me/us).

Taking that literally then Blofeld with sample license can do all the requested stuff, weirdly

Iā€™m actually surprised how much I donā€™t care when listen to otherā€™s music*, but when I create a pattern with one-shot samples, itā€™s mortifying. The static overtones (which move around in physical modelling) kill me. My ears start to concentrate only on the loudest overtone ā€œbing bing bingā€ ā€¦

*However, there was a record of an industrial (?) artist, very percussive, all one-shot samples. Good music, but I could not listen to it.

2 Likes