Stereo Drive

wouldnt it be great if elektron sent @void a free digitakt so that new apps could be ready when the final device ships , would be a great boost for the elektron community and early adopters.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

you are a high wizard. your work is invaluable.

3 Likes

thank you thank you :sweat_smile:
and big thanks to everyone supporting these endeavors! :pray:

7 Likes

This is great, @void
I was looking to try and work with stereo samples in DT.

Working with them in Rytm w/ SDS Drop / Stereo Drive will be even better, and now easier!

Will buy the in-app purchase come pay-day.

One quick questionā€¦
I manually keep track of the total file size of samples in my Rytm.
I always import 48khz, mono, 16bit .wavs. I make note of their size prior to import, and then add that to my Project sample file size total.
I imagine using Stereo Drive and importing Stereo Files, the same process will give me an accurate file size. Splitting the files to L and R should reduce their size by half, yes?

2 Likes

yep!
if you want to be super accurate about this, the math should be done on the raw PCM data chunk only, without the wav header. You probably have slightly more free space in the Rytm than your catalog shows. :slight_smile:

Headers for wav files are usually small, but can vary in size quite a bit (metadata, memory-page padding etc). One could create a pretty large wav file which contains no or very little data, and it would check out legit in most softwareā€¦

when sending a sample via MIDI, only the PCM data inside the file is transferred, and I suppose the Rytm also stores just that plain data on the +drive, plus just a few extra bytes for the name, length, ā€¦

for a 16bit wav @48kHz, the PCM size in bytes is:
length_in_seconds * 48000 * 2 * num_channels.

itā€™s easiest and most accurate to use some software which shows the number of sample points/frames and then:
num_frames * 2 * num_channels.

4 Likes

I just gave you 5 star for sds drop

5 Likes

thank you! :blush:

2 Likes

Review of STROM sent last yr in 2016.
I donā€™t know why itā€™s not up there.
I sent the review again to apple, just now

2 Likes

@void I donā€™t suppose thereā€™s any simple way of getting a mini Strom for the iPhone? Without the control of the AR but with the sampler and sending files to SDS Drop?

Iā€™d buy it again! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Freaking awesome thank you so much void - Iā€™m laughing at elektron right now on a Thursday (day off) using ctrl on the AR! - you got around the limits again :). So easy and elegant !!

I noticed there is a SCN/PRF function - is this a randomiser of scenes?

Happy to contribute some $$ for these super features: just pm me your PP.

3 Likes

Awesome stuff and things @void :smiley_cat:

1 Like

You sir are a valuable asset to the Rytm community I have been using your apps since I first got the analog rytm. I deeply appreciate the value of our products. Thank you.

3 Likes

Iā€™m also a bit confused by the scene/perf button and its function. But damn do these stereo tracks sound HUGE!

2 Likes

unfortunately no simple way at allā€¦ the UI code for Strom is an embarrassing and complex clusterfuck - basic things such as adapting it to a different screen size would be a nightmare. However, youā€™re right, it should exist on iPhoneā€¦ just needs a full UI rewrite. this has been on the back burner for a while lol.

3 Likes

thanks!! oh haha, the SCN/PRF buttonā€¦ I was experimenting and forgot to remove it from the UIā€¦ :open_mouth: guess now that itā€™s there, it needs some functionalityā€¦ PPā€¦ noted!

2 Likes

Ha, left the function in by mistake. Void over delivers by mistake :hugs:

So what is it all actually doing in its beta format?

There were just locks of the delay and reverb just going nuts in giant swell, before when I messed around.

2 Likes

it does nothing! just flashes the buttonā€¦ but I know what itā€™s gonna be doing, on it right nowā€¦ :grin:

5 Likes

huge respect mister. bought just about everything you have ever done and dont intend to change that for future. support all the way!!

1 Like

Just playing around with this tonightā€¦ interestingā€¦ I setup a midi controller with Live and OB, so I can control two filters of both tracks with one fader, but then my ears teach me things. Iā€™m actually hearing two panned mono filters, rather than stereo filters across the stereo ā€˜trackā€™. Which is logical of course, but it just surprised me that my ears were like, ā€œthatā€™s weirdā€. Theyā€™re not that bad! An Auto filter over both tracks in Live seems an easy way out, or having both bussed to a group with a filter on the bus group. Even if I did buy an iPad and used CTRL-All Iā€™d still be controlling two mono filters, and the same could be said for any of the send FX. Which is like a reverse problem to the one to begin with. Mono tracks with stereo filters, or stereo tracks with mono FX haha. But, I guess this speaks to limitations of the box more than anything.

Edit: actually, I just discovered if the delay send is set to Pre then its Mono, but if in Post its Stereo. Which is cool. Makes for lush Stereo FX! Filter is still twin mono, though. Donā€™t know if thereā€™s a way around that really. OB out to an AH? Haha. And actually yeah just discovered my Ableton Filter is post FX. Hmmā€¦

Would be rad if there was somehow a way to send a track into another tracks fx and filter chain, kinda ike a neighbour.

1 Like

hm interesting!
is there another way of having a stereo filter than implementing one mono filter per channel?

e.g. in the Heat, I think all the circuitry is basically implemented twice, for left and right.

So maybe itā€™s because you ā€œknowā€ that itā€™s two independent voices, you hear it that way?

The only other explanation I can think of is that maybe the sound isnā€™t exactly the same in both tracks. This is a possibility, e.g. if the calibration isnā€™t accurate, or, simply due to free-running LFOs which are out of phase between the tracks! If youā€™re using LFOs, and you want them to be identical in L and R, itā€™s best restart them explicitly, in at least one step in the pattern.