Stereo distortion unit

I’m on the lookout for a stereo distortion pedal to pair with my Expressive Osmose. I’ve been eyeing the Analog Heat, but frankly, it feels like a bit of an overkill for my needs. I don’t see myself using neither the LFO nor the envelope follower, and I already have an EQ via my Octatrack. Meanwhile, the Source Audio Aftershock is about one fourth of the price, it doesn’t take up a lot of space, and it sounds great on the demos I’ve heard, at least when coupled to a bass guitar.

Am I missing something here? Is there something I haven’t considered?

Octatrack’s built-in dirt? Not bad at all.

I had an AH and liked it but like you felt like it was overkill, so I replaced it with a Strymon Deco that I love. OT is always going through it. Plus it has bonus time based effects that are pretty sweet.

1 Like

Deco has nice distortion going on via emulating tape (over)saturation. But it’s rather limited as a distortion effect I would say. I don’t own the Aftershock, but it seems to be a lot more versatile, you could even swap the effects sounds out.

1 Like

has anyone tried this Space Cat “Double Trouble” dual distortion?

http://www.spacecataudiotechnologies.com/distortion.html

never heard of the company, but its a very reasonable price relative to other stereo overdrive units

nice looking too

*edit: i guess it’s not actually stereo since the two distortions are different. that explains the price

2 Likes

It’s here:

15 Likes

Looks mighty, would love to hear how this thing sounds.

2 Likes

I’ll try to get some audio this weekend.

3 Likes

Ive been on a distortion journey all week and just had ear orgasms listening to demos of this company!!! This is the one(s)!!! DRUM BUSS SMASH

1 Like

Actually, these days this is the one:

1 Like

I’m still figuring out what model to order. For drum buss heavy distortion would you say this one is better?

I’ve been looking for a cheap (~€100) stereo distortion pedal and somehow missed this, highly respected maker and within my ideal price range even with shipping to Ireland (tho customs is a different matter)

TRS I/O isn’t ideal but I can work with that.

4 Likes