Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

Some folks just want to use the editor ui without needing a DAW running… Some hope it has an option to disable the audio completely for just using the editor with zero latency physical outs, and minimal cpu usage… For sound design and I’m sure some other uses…

5 Likes

Ugghh…i want to apologize to the forum for being so asanine with my words. I won’t apologise for the points, but I dont need to be such a dick about it. The way this has all gone done is seriously bringing out the worst in me. I love my Elektron machines but the shortcoming are crippling my style right now and this ambiguous timeline as well as not understanding/agreeing with AR1 os beinglocked away behind some obtuse concept…crap, there I go again.
Alright, sorry…just get it out asap…please. I’m out for awhile

20 Likes

this update message sounds to me that they had to reprogram large important parts from scratch, maybe because some of the old developers left. that would also explain the shifts of the release date.

i hope it will support macos high sierra before fall, when apple brings out its successor. they will probably anounce it at wwdc next month. the current ob is the last music software left on my computer that doesnt support high sierra.

I’m guessing peoples gripes with MK1 Overbridge latency is referring to using the MK1 as an interface? I’ve no problems with latency when sending my DAW output to a different interface and just using the Rytm in through overbridge. The possibility of using it as an interface though has been pointless with the latency.

The main problem I have with it is the constant distortions and drop outs every 10 minutes or so making it completely unusable, how many others have had this issue?

2 Likes

Still no sequencer in OB? Would be nice to be able to edit it with the Vst too.

2 Likes

New standalone editor, enabling DAW-less operation

Yeehaw, praise the Lord and pass on the ammunition! Oh wait, this topic is about music, carry on then.

same here. My mac is not going to be upgraded higher then the currently installed 10.9.5 - everything above can be super messy in regard to core audio performance issues.

Especially for digital dj’s these issues SUCK big time…Sierra and High Sierra should have fixed these problems but are still not nearly as solid as good old Mavericks. So I am kinda stuck with 10.9

If OB2 won’t work on 10.9 I have to suck it up, but my MBP will not leave 10.9.5 -.-

1 Like

what kind of issues Nick ,I use traktor on my mbp sometimes with 10.12 installed and no problems

Which other hardware manufacturer offers software comparable to overbridge? As a consumer of their products I’m happy to see progress in any form with respect to their hardware/software.

PLEASE don’t use 2 different tabs for switching between OSC1 and OSC2 on A4!!! What I loved about OB was that you can configure/see both OSCs parameters at the same time.

AND WHEN? Taking 3 months to screenshot 3 stacked windows is not enough.

1 Like

I’m hoping that’s what the little cassette icon is :grinning:

2 Likes

It seems most pf the OB1 problems are OSX related. No Apple bashing here, but consider using a rock solid and mature W7 for music creation. No Logic though… thanx apple.

I am referring to this:

I am doing Traktor support in Berlin for a living…not all system are/were affected, but many did suffer from distorted audio stream/pops&clicks when steaming audio for some time via the core audio driver. Apple fixed these driver buffer problems with 10.12 and higher, but it’s still a bit wonky from my experience in technical support.

The times when macs “just worked” are sadly over :frowning:

Ps.10.9 systems were only very rarely affected (my MBP works fine) but 10.10 and 10.11 were pretty bad.

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, and as an aside, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Linux Mint 18.3 now detects my Firewire soundcard, and adds it automagically as inputs and outputs to the Pulse Audio devices when it’s switched on. No configuration needed, no hassle, it just works. Which is great, considering the battles I had setting up ffado and Jack configurations for many years.

6 Likes

With 8 “TR#” tabs, for editing the 8 audio tracks, but nothing for the MIDI lanes? I would not call this the stuff of my dreams… There’s not much to do on the MIDI lanes, but it could save a lot of time to use drop-downs with a mouse for certain parameter selection (like which CC values knobs will send) and LFO settings which some people use to affect audio track parameters (I think?)

I hope won’t be as difficult to implement in a future version. I get that the overall functionality (between hardware/software) is the real priority, and agree. I wouldn’t want A4/AR/Heat users to be held up by Digitakt/Digitone MIDI layers. BUT I’m now pretty quick at editing sounds on the DT. What is not quick is fiddling with the MIDI lane settings.

Even turning on the MIDI (Func+A) and setting the channel (channel 4 for MIDI D, for example) is tedious. Clicking the rotaries without turning them is INCREDIBLY difficult (physically) and the sensitivity to change from MIDI 1 to scroll to 3 or 4? Not exactly effortless…

Also, hoping the OSX version looks a little more in-line with the OSX experience. Actually, better yet, what I’d dream of is a Rack Extension version for Reason 10 (with multiple audio out-jacks on the back panel and CC in/out jacks for LFOs and assignable parameters).

@Elektron, any hope for an OverBridge RE? Got love for the Swedes?

Any evidence of this? I’ve used XP, W7, W10, OS9, OS X, macOS and iOS for music creation. I’ve only had problems on W7/W10, and that was mostly Interface drivers (Focusrite, Avid, etc) or controller software (AKAI, M-Audio, etc).

I just wish they’d made the OB2 boxes CoreAudio compliant as interfaces so we could use them with iOS devices! They’re already CoreMidi compliant, meaning no drivers, just plug in the USB and the MIDI notes send correctly (including iOS with a CCK to my iPhone!).

2 Likes

We all want different things from OB. My primary use for OB is to facilitate sound design. I want to be able to whip up loads of patches and save them for later use. That screenshot looks to give me everything I need in a simple interface that’s easy to navigate. Not that I wouldn’t also appreciate the features you mention, but for me personally, this is exactly what I was hoping to see in the OB interface.

2 Likes

And the rest of the forum. I was working with macs a lot back in my protools time at a TV station and they were rpck solid. Today, not so much. Changing driver stack and saying take it or leave it without former warning is not nice.
They are letting pro users down for years now, in music and gfx vfx.

1 Like

The specs for Analog Keys say that it has USB 2.0. How come it’s not listed among the “High-speed USB devices” in the announcement?

2 Likes

USB spec is only part of it, because USB requires external processing power, you need a powerful enough cpu to handle the USB data AND it’s own calculations. Likely that’s been upgraded in the newer devices.