Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

OB for AR2 is in beta just now

hello friends, when I bought the Elektron products it was because of the total integration that they promised, at that time I did not know the problem with the development of the AU plugin, now after almost a year of waiting I feel cheated and defrauded with this company and I am thinking in denouncing the store that sold me their products.
AR, AF, OCT, ditone, analog heat.
I know that developing a product like an overbridge is not easy but you can not sell it before you have it.

1 Like

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before - Iā€™m not in the OB private beta (obviously). I have an A4 Mk2, Analog Keys, Digitakt and a Rytm MK2 (I love this setup btw). Are the OB drivers in private beta currently available for all of these machines? I.e. is the plan to roll out OB support for all Elektron units at the same time once the beta is over - or is there focus on specific units at the moment?

I assume the drivers work independently from the DAW plugin? Im mainly interested in streaming tracks to my daw atm.

Thanks in advance

I would assume nothing. OB has been a clusterfuck.

Not sure on this one but it would seem from the noise being made that Digitakt is getting the initial focus (Windows version). Iā€™m sure they are all being worked on though and appear to be going through Beta phases (sorting the audio driver then standalone, then vst, etc).

The recent DT video looked very encouraging though.

Bottom line, donā€™t hold your breath and dont fret about it. Itā€™s gonna happen but none of us can tell you how soon. It genuinely wouldnt surprise me if it ends up being beyond next Summer for all products to have their full OB enabled.

Hi,
I canā€™t wait to try out the new OS WITH Overbridge.
Is there any news / update about the release!

Thanks in advice.

OB2 will be definitely be compatible with Rytm MK1, but it is currently in a multi-step beta testing process, there are many sperate components to the OB2.0 software suite: Mac/Windows audio soundcard drivers, and the VST/au plugins, etc ā€¦so the testing and solidifying of the whole shebang is a long process but IS taking place as we speak, in a closed beta testing group. Itā€™s hard to say how far along they are, but certain components have been finished.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I hope I can get a beta or rc version soon!
Is there any way to get a pass for the beta test? Iā€™m a more or less weekly OB user with Rytm and Ableton Live on PC Win 10 64 bit.

beta testing group signup window closed a while back.

1 Like

okay. np

2 Likes

So the elektron new email I received today had this to say about overbridge

Can anyone beta testing shed light on this? Any idea What core functionality needed to be rebuilt? Iā€™ve only seen good things from the beta testers, so this is a shock.

This is incredibly disappointing news

If you guys could Please refrain from the typical overbridge nonsense and let someone with actual information chime in, that would be awesome.

Reworkedā€¦ not rebuilt. I wouldnā€™t be suprised if that would have to do with osx mojave.

4 Likes

Those two words basically have the same meaning to me, reworked is a more positive way of saying redone. Semantics I know. But I donā€™t think my word choice is really the topic, and Iā€™m not looking to really debate the difference between reworked and redone. Either way it seems like another major delay to the already long delay.

Are you beta testing? Do you know for sure problems have arisen for apple os?

So Iā€™m not Mac savvy, what is the obvious message if one reads ā€œbetween the linesā€?

My last Mac was a 2004 MacBook with snow leopardā€¦

The public beta may still be subject to an NDA for some aspects btw and given that there are only two OS environments supported one imagines Elektron intend to minimise concern by purposely wording it as above so Iā€™m not sure it helps to speculate on that point (given itā€™s seemingly withheld) - but it does have a slightly ominous tone to it, I guess in terms of managing timescale expectations ā€¦ time will tell

1 Like

I figured that about possible NDA and which OS is having problems. Also probably why they point to Dave mechā€™s video of ob working great on windows in the email. I would still like to hear from a beta tester if possible so itā€™s less of a speculation.

That last statement I wrote in the original post was more in hopes of deterring the types of post that will ultimately get flagged and shut down my topic.

Indeed, and that was not my point. Being a software developer, I do see a difference between the two. And in my language, that difference translate to ā€œanother delayā€ (rework) and ā€œanother big delayā€ (rebuild). But take it with a grain of saltā€¦ itā€™s overbridge after all :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

No, this is all speculation for now, but since mojave is only a month old and other software vendors have had their share of problems (see akai for example https://www.akaipro.com/support/kb/articles/macos-mojave-and-ios12-support-for-akai-pro-products ) while others told their customers not to upgrade to mojave now (MakeMusic with Finale), Iā€™m willing to bet a beer or two on this :wink:

1 Like

See: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001261150-MacOS-Compatibility

This one seems to cause problems to many vendors.

Put that in front of ā€œavoid compromising smooth operationā€ and for me itā€™s pretty clear where the problem is.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not up on the Mac game, and didnā€™t realize Mojave was such a big overhaul for the os. I know Mac OS updates have long been known to cause disruptions in operation of music software. Thanks for directing me towards.

2 Likes