Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

Fine, file it under “false advertising” I guess…

Here’s the thing - I bought mine last spring, and if I knew I couldn’t use it the way it was advertised for over a year, I would have purchased something else instead (maybe another Elektron box, maybe not). Now I definitely can’t get a refund, because it’s been so long, and I have no recourse other than to sell it. I don’t want to sell it because I want to get my music off first. I can’t do that, because I need the software! (ironically, if I had the software, I wouldn’t want to sell it anymore!).

It’s quite a Catch-22 situation that I’ve been quietly following for a long time. Frustrating.

Lastly, they 100% DID take money for it. It is a part of the system (as advertised on the box). It says “Overbridge Enabled” on the back under “Highlights.” You know what this is all like? If they came out and couldn’t sample yet, only play factory sounds or USB loaded sounds, but it said “Sampling capability” and “64MB sample memory” on the back (as it does) and people say “Oh, give them a chance, it DOES sequence drum sounds which is why you bought it in the first place, right?? Stop complaining. A sampler doesn’t have to sample to be useful; if you don’t like it, sell it!”

What if OP1 came out and the battery couldn’t work without being plugged in all the time? “It’s portable!” but you can’t use it unless you have an outlet handy… “Don’t worry, battery charging feature is coming in fall 2017!.. I mean Feb 2018!.. I mean…”

this is a stupid argument. Bottom line is there has been false advertising and NO acknowledgement of it. If it comes out next week and a new customer buys it, doesn’t like the software, they can return it for a refund with no penalty, because that’s really a part of the product. Everybody else is left high and dry.

I’m a big fan of the sequencer, and if I had to do it again I’d probably buy an Elektron box to be honest - just not the DT!

1 Like

Will it be hardware-only and have multiple outputs and song mode instead of OB? Because that does sound appealing… If it keeps the small size, a battery/cordless option would be awesome, or a built in power supply like old MPCs?

This is such a tired argument, and sentiment that has been express to death on this forum. I get it, some people feel that overbridge enabled meant they were paying for overbridge.
Some people feel overbridge has always been a separate product.

I bought my dt last spring as well, having it over a year makes you no more special than anyone else around here. WE have all been waiting on overbridge for some amount of time. WE are all in the same boat.

Ultimately, are YOU going to take legal action? If so, do it. If not what’s the point of stirring up this nonesense yet again. Especially now that there is finally progress on the what’s going on with overbridge and the forum hasn’t been so volatile

3 Likes

I only brought it up because I mentioned the German court ruling and was called out on this situation not being covered under that law. I was asking for an update from anyone in Germany who knew anything about it. That’s why I stirred it up. Relevant topics have made news lately.

the Part of the thread you where brought up legality was in the middle of beta testing related discussions, and was entirely just to stir the pot IMO. You were “called out” because yes, I do believe you are wrong in this situation stating that money has been taken for overbridge.
Especially, if you are claiming you got in last spring, effectively preorder when overbridge was a separate and proposed premium product with a separate price from the retail price of the digitakt.
Multi streaming audio, 2in/2out audio interface, those were overbridge premium features (I still have my box) and weren’t advertised as included with the buy price early on.

Of course, Any legal savvy individual could probably argued a case either way.

Its upsetting to come to a music forum and read legal ees rubbish tbh!!!

2 Likes

Maybe some kind of group action would be the way to go? I think it can be argued that advertised functionality provided by OB is part of of the price of OB enabled devices. Elektron boxes aren’t exactly cheap so customers should expect to get what they pay for.

1 Like

The argument can be made depending on when the device was bought.

If you bought the dt early on when overbridge premium was a thing, features like the multitrack audio streaming, the 2in/2out audio interface, & daw integration were part of overbridge premium and thus not included in the price of the product. As there was an expected additional price for these features.

If you bought in after overbridge was made entirely free I can see where the advertising is misleading.

The individual I was responding to says they bought in last spring. This is still When overbridge premium was a thing. And thus those feature were never paid for by that individual, as no one ever paid for overbridge premium.

Even before OB Premium was removed out of the equation, functionality provided by Overbridge Basic was included in the price of the device (Sample manager/librarian functionality, MIDI over USB, Digitakt sequencer/DAW sync, Computer screen visualization of Digitakt parameters, time limited Audio streaming of Main outs over USB etc).

1 Like

Most of your list was premium stuff. Only 2 things were listed on the box for basic. Funny enough, at this point, midi over usb and sample management are available without overbridge.

2 Likes

All of the things I mentioned belonging in Overbridge Basic were included originally in Overbridge Basic. What I listed was direct copy-paste from the original e-mail from Elektron about it back in March 2017. This mail was what many based their purchase decisions on.

The mail has been refererenced in this thread if you don’t have the original anymore (I do): Overbridge Premium?

2 Likes

Such a fail for Elektron. Two of my friends have sold their Digitakt (and don’t want to hear from them anymore…) :sweat_smile:

I’m in Goteborg. Will walk to Elektron HQ to see if there are bugs flying around…:wink:

I’m on my way back from Iceland and Norway, saw a lot of trolls there. They were pretty harmless :joy:

Note: trolls are part of some countries believes…

I posted several features that Digitakt was sold with since the beginning. Specifically these are:

Overbridge Basic Highlights
Sample manager/librarian functionality
MIDI over USB
Digitakt sequencer/DAW sync
Computer screen visualization of Digitakt parameters
Audio streaming of Main outs over USB (time limited sessions)

Quite good argument could be made that people paid for these features. Of course later buyers could expect even more features since OB Premium features were later advertised as part of Digitakt too.

That might be for the best, if you are not willing to change your opinion even when the facts are against you.

1 Like

Interacting with you is a waste of time and energy. As Much as my opinions isn’t going to be changed, the same could be said for yours.
We will continue to disagree. As I see the facts entirely against you, just as you see them against me. Your trolling is getting boring. Produce a receipt for your overbridge payment, then you can clearly say you paid for overbridge. Legally no one cares if you theoretically pay for something.

1 Like

I don’t see my posts as “trolling” unless critical point of view of how Overbridge situation has been handled is trolling in this forum. I think you are trolling yourself when you deny facts - like the fact that Digitakt has been advertised from the start with having Overbridge as a feature - both free and premium (and later only free).

I also don’t think that I would need a separate receipt for Overbridge to be able to expect to have Overbridge functionality. If I have a receipt for a product that is advertised to include Overbridge, that should be enough, don’t you think?

I hope you do agree that Digitakt and MK2 series were (and still are) advertised with having Overbridge functionality?

1 Like

My point was that the argument can be made that overbridge has and always will be a separate product. One that no one has actually paid for and no one has any sort of paperwork stating otherwise. Overbridge enabled =/= overbridge included. I personally see the overbridge list on the back of the dt as an advertisement for an additional product. I don’t get seeing this or any related overbridge adverts as anything more than pushing a second product on the userbase. Sorry if you are refusing to see that point of view.

I’ve evaluated your point of view that you in theory paid for overbridge but I’m not finding anything you present convincing in that aspect.

I see your post as trolling as they attempt to pull away from the point being made by the person you are responding to, in an attempt for you to be right. Rarely do you seem to fully read anyone’s response, and you selectively quote and answer in such. You also seem to contribute noting positive to the community. But hey just my point of view and I could be wrong.

2 Likes

That’s semantics, not sure how you can even argue this one. For all intents and purposes, Overbridge enabled means that Overbridge functionality is included.

I always read posts fully, but many times most of the post is not worth commenting on.

I think it makes the thread easier to read if people don’t quote complete posts but rather the part that captures what the person has to say (you can always scroll up and read the complete post). I don’t “selectively” quote to make it seem the person says something he didn’t say even though you seem to suggest that I do.

Yeah, well when you lose money because Elektron can’t keep its promises, you tend to become a bit negative. I have been member of this forum (and the one preceding it) for a while and it has not always been like this with Elektron.

1 Like

RWhen legality in advertising is being examined, semantics is what it ultimately comes down too.

Edit: additionally from my perspective it’s not semantics. When I bought my dt overbridge premium was a thing. Meaning all the “features” of overbridge were tied to me purchasing an additional product, a license for overbridge premium. As there was an expected additional cost for me, the purchasing of another product, I’ve never seen overbridge enabled the same as overbridge included.

I’ve been around for a long time across this and the eu forum as well. I know elektron and the forums have changed quite a bit. It’s dissapointing for sure. But how we choose to interact with others here is still a choice. I believe elektron disappointing you shouldn’t need to equal negativity spread to this community. As they are two separate entities.