Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

miles (or kilometers i guess) to go i think

That’s absolutely insane product management! Bizarre. Incomprehensible. Yes, the warning says to back up in case you want to downgrade, but how about separating core feature updates and bug fixes from compatibility with beta software that won’t be available for months?! sigh

1 Like

Overbridge will work with your gear again once Overbridge 2.0 is out of beta. No idea when that will be, but if they’re smart, they’ll press for it to happen before the Christmas shopping season gets under way.

OB beta started about a month ago, but the only thing in closed testing so far is the Windows I/O driver.

nothing is broken. Just spend 40 seconds for downgrading your gear and you are good to go again

3 Likes

Doesn’t the downgrade wipe all saved patches etc? The notes seem to suggest that. I didn’t back up before upgrading (I know, I know!).

I believe the reason they say to back up the projects before the upgrade is that if you happen to save a project under the new firmware it will then be incompatible if you downgrade.

1 Like

Ah, thanks. I still think the communication around this could have been a lot better, but good to know I can roll back.

The weird thing is that they already have a working Windows driver for OB2.0 but they are not releasing it for everyone… and not communicating why that is or when the release might happen.

It’s not weird… The driver is part of a suite… The driver are still getting reports of bugs… It’s still in phase 1 of the beta… There will be atleast 3 more phases of the beta (probably more)… Elektron requested that people invited to the beta does not discuss the beta in public… You sound like a broken record.

3 Likes

Actually Olle from Elektron stated on this very thread that it’s fine to discuss the beta:

Sazi, why do you feel the need to make up stuff? It’s not good for the discussion.

1 Like

Not making stuff up

Ok, fair enough. Seems Olle contradicts himself a bit in this thread and the thread you quoted.

Anyway, sorry for sounding like a broken record, but there would be no need for it if Elektron communicated more about the status. Davemech gave nothing but praise for the driver and that’s why I assumed it works. Disappointing to hear that it still has some serious problems.

I wonder if it will ever work properly, probably not.

1 Like

It doesn’t have serious problems. It works fine. I wonder why you keep coming to that conclusion tbh.

The reason it’s not released to public has been given already: OB will be released as a whole. :slight_smile: and logically so.

No reason to keep talking in circles. It is what it is. The beta is released in phases, the official release won’t be (AFAIK).

In the beta topic it is requested to share test information within the topic to keep it centralized. Sharing information on how the driver performs etc. Is ok to share. Before I did the video I asked Olle if it was okay to release it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I keep coming back to that conclusion because I really can’t understand why they can’t release a working driver to their paying customers if they have it. Especially as they have already made their customers wait for far too long.

Where has this been stated? And what’s logical about it?

If someone who has paid good money for mk2 device needs OB audio interface functionality, why should Elektron refuse to give them a working driver?

It’s logical because it is a beta. Needs to be tested in combination with the suite too.

I don’t see how releasing a working driver would prevent them from doing this.

I understand you don’t understand. It is just what it is. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah, and it sucks. There is no reason not to release a working driver to paying customers.

1 Like

What disappointed me about the closed beta is that Elektron was not interested in the upcoming macOS Mojave 10.14 that is going to be released next month.

So far Ableton Live 10 works fine on macOS Mojave 10.14. Lets hope this would be the same case with Overbridge 2.0 soon.