Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

This is exactly how I feel. It doesn’t help when realizing MK1 sales paid for OB developement in the first place. Total letdown by Elektron.

1 Like

Please don’t forget AAX implementation :pray::pray:t6::pray:t2:

1 Like

From 29ms to 25ms maybe? :joy:

Means MK2 units lacking latency while combining with MK1.

After getting fooled for years hopefully more people than just me found a workaround!

3 Likes

Why so negative?

And latency is the reason why there’s a thing called delay compensation in basically every single DAW.

9 Likes

What benefit is there to not using a DAW to record stems into your computer? Wouldn’t you need to use one anyway, in order to mix everything?

1 Like

I still love my Mk 1 AR, I bought it about 6 months before the new versions. These things happen, I’m not going to sell as it’s still a great drum machine with the perfect form factor for live stuff.
The only reason I’m looking forward to Overbridge for is the new dual VCO and maybe some new machines. Elektron have added a few nice surprises in the past. Overbridge is useful, but I’m still enjoying learning this machine and i’m sure I’m only using 50% of it’s power.
When it comes it comes, I’m pretty zen about it, it’s kept me company on my long commutes to the city and provided joy. I can understand frustration, but I’m getting old, so I dont tend to focus on it. Have a great weekend everyone!

5 Likes

Because… . This is the internet?
:joy:

6 Likes

Why does the MK1 run at full speed instead of high speed? It came out in 2014, not 2004? I know that sounds snarky but its a serious question.

Also, OB is a flop for MK1 users, can we please have firmware updates separate like every single other device you make? We still don’t have sample management and at this point, its clear oB1 and OB2 are virtually the same for Mk1 users. Why would you drag us through the mud like this? Why not just leave MK1 users on OB1 and move on? You’ve left us behind in every other facet but drag us along while preventing needed updates.
It’s ridiculously infuriating.

1 Like

Delay compensation is not magic. It means that EVERY track in the session is delayed, which is workable for mixing but unusable for real-time playing. Anything above 13ms is basically a drag

7 Likes

that‘s pretty simple!
i can‘t delay or compensate my brain activity!

if using OB for simple multi track recording, maybe this will work while monitoring the analog outs. but in this case you still need a mixer …

and still there will be the quality diff. between MK1&MK2 while streaming …

that‘s why i don‘t think OB makes sense if using MK1&MK2.

and that‘s why it‘s better to find a workaround or updating gear to MK2.

Edit: can‘t delay brain activity to desired values :joy::thinking:

The USB clock leaked into the audio circuitry when it it was configured to run at higher speed. It was either lowering this or no Overbridge at all, as digital noise in an otherwise fully analog signal path is not acceptable.

11 Likes

Yeap. I know. Didn’t seem like he was talking about playing something live though, Hence my comment.
The delay really isn’t that bad when setting OB to lower buffer ranges that twisting knobs is impossible.
I can imagine it being annoying for a rytm while drumming maybe, but again the delay isn’t so bad when set to the lower buffer ranges.

Yup.

Yes but the delay is obnoxious when playing pads/keys even on lower buffer settings

2 Likes

No comments on the librarian?

3 Likes

Not so bad is still bad :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Thanks for that answer.
How about the other half of my post, why are we still waiting for sample management when OB2 offers so very little to MK1 users?
Rytm MK2 has had several updates, Digitakt got a compressor (which was also supposed to be waiting for any new firmware updates until OB). Why are Mk1 users waiting for sample management?
The only thing I can think of is that MK1 users don’t make you any money anymore so we don’t matter.
If we did, you would do what you did for Digitakt owners and dedicate some manpower.
Seriously man, I’m pissed! I’ve written you privately about this and was told there is no way to give us AR1 firmware update until OB2. I’d like more detail as to why now that I see next to nothing in the new OB. Why keep us stringing along like this?
How can Elektron be okay with having a machine out there that still can’t manage it’s samples? 4 years man! 4 years!!!

5 Likes

Im no engineer but my guess would be that they could easily…except for something else holding it back. And with Elektron that something else has always been very, very good.

Was gonna write this exact comment. I don’t know why you’d need standalone OB anyway unless they’re making some kind of elektron DAW. Isn’t the point of OB for DAW integration so you can take advantage of the tools in a computer?

2 Likes

The dreaded clicks and pops!