Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

I don’t know if you can find a sequencer more restricted than SP404. Even Mpc 500 is a monster compared to it. :slight_smile:
You’ll miss some magic without plocks, TRC, lfos…

Like a normal brain. Depends on people !

3 Likes

Haha yeah, I read a lot about the dreadful sp404 sequencer… yet, Samiyam seems to like it a lot and he’s a prime example of finding a box you like and sticking with it despite its shortcomings. Worst case, I’ll sequence it with my Circuit which is one of my favorite partners in crime… and use the sp404 mainly for resampling and sound design.

Regarding the added possibilities of elektron boxes, yeah, thinking about that a bit… yet, I feel that my music quickly tends to devolve in a clusterfuck of tricks and glitch madness when using it, instead of being about feeling and efficiency in composition.

3 Likes

I just want to add that a DT plus an Sp404 is a magical combo! You can send the audio of the DT through it, use the real time FX, and you can sequence your stereo samples from the DT’s midi tracks! The only downside to this combo is resampling back and forth between the two since DT always resamples in mono. But resampling the DT into the Sp404 and freeing up audio tracks for more samples is tons of fun and can get VERY whacky. Throw your Circuit in the mix and now you’ve got 12 drum tracks, two 6-voice synths, and a great dedicated sampler/FX box. It’s a magical combo and I wish I still had it.

5 Likes

This trademark worthy quote can describe a lot Elektron-based electronic music, imho. :joy:

1 Like

funny you say that as I’m converting PV powered USB battery back for my Digitakt :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just adding my voice. I really like my Elektron machines but part of the reason i bought them was because i work a lot with my DAW so Overbridge would come in handy. Hoping for a release soon!

3 Likes

DazzlingFineBushbaby-size_restricted

2 Likes

The 500 goes great with the 404… I kno you’re mentioning switching, but they’re a great portable combo, I use them all the time together. The 404 for effects & sample memory / the 500 for sequencing. Not only that, if you get the og 404 you can hot swap the memory cards (ie: leave both machines on, take card out of 404, put it in 500 & all samples will be there to use on 500).

1 Like

I might not be your style of music & I’m not trying to push my beats, but I made the following beats using nothing but the 404sx. They’re battle beats, so not my best, but it’s all I have online. The point is you can make clean beats on the sequencer, there are just a few tricks, but once you learn the tricks it becomes easy.

11 Likes

Fire bro, love those beats, good job!

Dope.

some good vibe there. really impressive what u do with this small roland box

This popular thread has drifted well off-topic - for those checking in on relevant news let’s keep it on-topic or thereabouts :thup:

9 Likes

Sorry I’m the queen of going off topic when a comment peaks my interest. Too be honest I notice it happens most in threads were it’s not possible to keep on topic. The only people that can comment on the status of OB is Elektron…so…every comment in this thread is off topic.

I get what you’re saying tho.

Continue with the OB updates :sunglasses:

1 Like

Fire beats, man, right up my alley! You know how to work that sp, for sure…

1 Like

Thanks for the love guys, they’re simple beats, just wanted to show what the sp404 can do, everything was chopped on it & the sequences transition smoothly (take gate & loop off the last sample in the sequence for smooth transition). It def has limitations tho, if you plan on gettin 1 it’s a good idea to look into the features.

OB - Honestly I kno I’ve said I’m ok without it, but I get why it’s a big deal & so wanted. Esp on the Digitakt & Digitone since they don’t have individual outs. I’m ok w/o it but… I’m sure I would use it & can see myself liking it. I’m trying to use a hybrid set up, unfortunately since I work in an office the last thing I want to do is unwind on a computer at home, but software offers soooooooo much. I’m tryin to set things up, so I can take advantage of software, but not feel like I’m using a computer (less use of mouse, ect).

1 Like

Ill say this about the ob thing

I bought the DT with the intent on using ob to record individual outs and mix them on the computer. Obviously that hasnt worked out yet but…

Ive really rediscovered the joy of just making music since i got the DT. Recording and mixing and all that goes along with it is just really frustrating for me because im terrible at it. Ive now realized that trying to make the perfect sounding track has taken alot of joy out of everything

Ive done very few recordings since i got my DT and im honestly having the most fun ive had with music in a long time.

So im personally not anxious about OB showing up right away. Itd be nice to have that option. But the DT has been my favorite piece of gear since i got it. Im just having fun jamming

3 Likes

Tripper! But your analogy is hopelessly flawed…Roland / Boss actually make this technology for guitars…! Its existed for 20 years… you can asign different instruments and synths to individual strings of guitars using dedicated pickups…Like the tr8s they just got in and got it done…and it just works…its far from free but.

also the new technologies you refer to through analogy also exist. I have had 6 mono (3 stereo) with 2 main analogue outs (8 mono outs), and 2 mono or (1 stereo) in…streamed over usb1 on 10 year old chips and comlonants working fine in my Access Virus Snow since 2008… neither are new or impossible…and neither were limited by componants or code writers of DECADES ago. Kempfer is not as monolithic as Roland either…he just made it happen.

It was an entertaining read however…now wheres my OB…? Ha

Double-trip - as you point out, on both counts, the technology does already exist, despite claims to the contrary - hence why my analogy is soooo good. :brain:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: wait what.?..:zonked:

1 Like