Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

Elektron are artists. Or at least very skilled craftsmen. Not in an auteur way - above critiques - they are just people who genuinely believe in what they do and are very good at it.

That’s the thing that irks me about people who just wont shut up about OB delays. They’re ragging on a bunch of musicians who are trying to make something great, not a bunch of coked up ferrari driving execs who ran over their dog for a laugh.

Doesn’t excuse elektron from promising something and not delivering, but theres a lot of things in this world its worth being angry about and people who could do with a bit of anger directed at them but I feel elektron is getting more than they deserve.

2 Likes

Long shot but… Could anyone at @Elektron give a rough estimate of a release date for OB for Digitone?

VERY close to buying a Digitone, and can cope without OB for a while, but I know pretty soon I’d want to be able to multitrack the dry sounds, and return fx channels separately.

Just worried It’d be a year(s) before OB is available for Digitone, based on current situation.

Any info would be much appreciated

They talk about it somewhere in that previous thread :

2 Likes

I recommend waiting to buy it until it actually has OB.

1 Like

That’s what I had always said to myself I would do… However if it’s just a few months off, or even 6 months off I’d probably still buy so thought I’d ask :slight_smile:

Definitely a wise suggestion though @Sharris - just got a huge FM shaped hole in my setup here hence the hopeful question

I get what you mean, but I only say you should wait in case something happens with Overbridge. Elektron in the past gave estimates of when it would be done, but couldn’t complete it in time & it made a lot of people unhappy. It would suck if they said, “we hope to have it done by August” you buy it & something happened causing further delays.

If OB is important… wait. If you think you could live without OB…get it.

I’m 100% with you on everything you said. Sage advice! Thanks for your time. My instincts have said the same all along, I even commented on an OB thread saying I would buy Digitone only when OB is available for it… Just wishful thinking :slight_smile:

Fwiw Digitone makes it in every track I’m working on. Love it, as a machine seperate of OB.

2 Likes

Honestly I was pretty pissed about the whole OB issue while I had my DT. I had it stowed away for 2 weeks because I could never finish tracks the way I wanted to due to the lack of OB. Traded DT for a Push 2 and have been rocking it with my Maschine MK3 and Launchpad Pro for a crazy versatile DAW workflow which is awesome.

BUT… I often find myself missing my DT. Even without OB the simplicity and immediacy of the DT is unmatched. Sure, not having individual outs sucks and prevents the user from multitracking their Performances for detailed mixing (the real appeal of OB, imo) but at the same time just being able to flip a switch and already be making beats far outweighs the need for OB. I enjoy my SP404 quite a lot for it’s immediacy and simplicity, and it doesn’t have multiple outs either. I regret letting my WANT of OB poisoning my view of the DT. I would probably trade my push back for a DT in a heartbeat if given the chance. But I’ve made my bed and I’m lying in it half-cozily.

Moral of the story; evaluate the use of DT without OB,only for all of it’s wonders THEN decide if it’s worth keeping/bitching about or not.

Tbh though I still do feel it’s a little overpriced for what it can do. If they gave it a nice $549.99 price tag and no mention of OB it would’ve been perfect.

3 Likes

It HAD to have Overbridge, tho. The future of music is in the computer. I wouldn’t have purchased the DT if it weren’t for the forthcoming OB capabilities(and, naturally, I would have missed out- because this little box is awesome)

With regards to Digitone + Overbridge; can anyone let me know if the plan is to allow the Digitone to act as an audio interface, like the AH?
In that it will be able to be a sound source, but also able to use it’s audio inputs as a way to record other gear via OB?

Most definitely. OB was the sole reason I purchased it because the date was based in February. But in hindsight now I realize OB was just a small slice in the great DT cake.

2 Likes

Tuesday!

4 Likes

Though I think the plan is that digitone is not getting overbridge with the rest of them. It will come at a later date. Later date than the already later date that is. So probably next year.

1 Like

:joy:

The digitone is mostly the same hardware than the digitakt (with some improvements) so I doubt it would take longer to drop after the other machine’s overbridge. But I could be wrong

1 Like

That’s one of the reason why I’m thinking about selling my DT… it’s powerful and all, but I can’t seem to really “bond” with it. I think it made me realize I prefer much simpler instruments…

For now, I’m taking a break from DT and reusing my good ol’ mpc500 to make beats and I feel much more at home: it’s simple, limited, a bit shit but I’m not worried about breaking a button or a pot, not worried about possible future feats… it is what it is. Thinking about switching it with a sp404 for the same kind of rough workflow, but with the added bonus of stereo pass thru and fun fx.

My general rule is to dedicate about one year to one instrument. After that it’s for keeping or selling. But with most of the instruments, I know in first two weeks.

3 Likes

Since I’m on a quest for the most minimal and functionnal set up (lack of time, lack of space…), that’s kinda my rule too… and in the end, I prefer something more restricted that forces me to really dig deep and concentrate on it rather than something with more possibilities that gives me the feeling that I’m only using it at 10% of its potential.

2 Likes

solar panels are pretty good these days

1 Like