Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

I think that’s very unlikely and I assume that audio streaming is at the heart of the problem, not the software editor side of things.

If the issues in first OB are any indication, reliability of the audio-over-usb feature is one of the most challenging things for OB. Personally, I suspect it’s because Elektron has chosen too low quality usb chipsets and/or cpu’s for their devices.

2 Likes

The sooner they announce that they are abandoning the Overbridge project, the better for everyone.

7 Likes

Not a bad idea. Kind of safe mode working on different platforms / OS…

The issue with that is the way overbridge works is it is a program through which the audio is streamed independent of your audio interface. They could release a audio interface driver pretty quickly, but in order to get those channels into your daw without something like asio4all or soundflower you’d also need to let it be your audio interface. Which means you couldn’t get multiple devices streaming. I think this is what they haven’t released just the driver.

They’ve been very good at resolving technical issues and poor to completely ignoring any customer service issues. That’s been my experience with tickets.

Usb 2 was a mistake for mkii imo. You may not need the extra speed but the chipsets give you more bandwidth to work with.

I would say the Octatrack is a pro Digitakt no need for it

1 Like

Starting to agree with this. Use the manpower to update features on the devices instead. Back in the days companies made expansions/breakout boxes for extra outputs. Why aren’t hw companies doing this anymore? Since multiple out via USB ha become the new standard leaving only stereo out for us that prefer not to use the dongle called computer. I could care less for software editor as well.

I think it’s cause this is supposed to be the future where everything is slick and seamlessly connected by one single stylish wire but it clearly doesn’t work and there’s still wires fucking everywhere anyway

9 Likes

I can see that. But I’m going to have to disagree. I think a Digitakt mkII with individual outs would be very welcome on the market. Some people like a more stripped-down machine without a cluttered interface and a billion features they’ll never use. I think the success of the Digitakt speaks to this. It’s already a nice machine but could be even better, or more well-rounded, with a few improvements - most of all, in my opinion - free it from OverBridge dependency with separate outs.

1 Like

I’ve been pretty chill about this whole Overbridge thing, but a Digitakt MK2 would not be cool with me at all. I’d be very, very disappointed that my new groovebox is essentially obsolete.

EDIT: I’d have no problems with an MK2 in a few years, just having one announced now would be annoying.

1 Like

How is it ebsolete only bc a new one comes?
My OT is old. My MD is old. My MnM is old, even the virus Ti is. But obsolete?

Never.

4 Likes

We’ll be obsolete before.

Well, I certainly have no idea about Elektron’s plans or timelines, but I’d say a mkII would fall in line with company history. There have been mkII’s of MD, MnM, OT, A4, AR, right?

Do you mean a mkII period? Or a mkII within a certain amount of time?

I have no problems with using old gear at all. I use an Analog Four MK1 and I love the Monomachine.

Ditching an MK1 after only a year definitely rubs me up the wrong way though. I’d prefer it if boxes were given time to mature before they were refreshed- it’s a bit rubbish to spend £600 on a machine just to have a better one come out 12 months later.

I’d love an MK2 in around 2020, but before would be a bit of a kick in the teeth to all of us who bought the DT.

Yeah, 2020 or later sounds about right to me also. I don’t think anyone would expect them to release a mkII after only a year.

I should’ve probably make myself more clear:

I don’t mind the MK2 refreshes at all.

What bothers me is the suggestion of making significant changes to the functionality (I.e massive improvements like 8 outputs, stereo sampling) and releasing it a short time after the MK1.

It was mainly a response to the poster above who suggested replacing Overbridge with a new unit.

I don’t recall wishing for something to be released now. Just stating something off of my wishlist, as in some day down the road or whatever. No need to worry, I’m sure Elektron will not listen to me. Don’t go into those threads where people wish for all sorts of crazy things from Elektron, your blood-pressure might not be able to take it. :slightly_smiling_face:

USB isn’t that bad when they wouldn’t brew their own protocol on top, but simply provide class compliance audio streaming over USB. This way breakout boxes could be easily build by 3rd parties.

4 Likes