Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

Just telling it as I see it.
Always have, always will

If the numbers are that much off itā€™s only rational for a business to make more of the cheap and simple boxes than fund an advanced one (unless that advanced one is really a ā€œkillerā€ machine everyone wants, but thatā€™s a quite risky shot in the dark).

1 Like

Sorry, I always thought you worked for Ableton and I worked for Elektron and we were playing chessā€¦ :joy:
I did wonder where the heck my checks wereā€¦
Alright, I withdrawalā€¦
:joy:

3 Likes

I was contemplating between the OT and DT, but then realized I could get the DT and DN for practically the same price and was already working on expanding my skills with FM synthesis on the software side.

It was a tough debate for me because I could easily create synth sounds on the computer and sample them into the OT, but the added potential benefit of OB plus hands on control with the DN are what finalized my decision.

Iā€™m having lots of fun with both devices, but in the back of my mind Iā€™m wondering if the OT may have been the better future proof option. Learning the Elektron sequencer system has been much faster than I was expecting, but I still have a ways to go before I can play it like an instrument.

1 Like

Checkmate :joy:

Check yourself, mate! :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

The sequencer is most accessible on the dt and dn. The ot not so much.

1 Like

I would ā€œlikeā€ your comments but Iā€™m outā€¦
They seem to cap me nowā€¦
Itā€™s all good funā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

They had to do something about the forum being ā€œtoo niceā€ā€¦

2 Likes

Functionality wise the OT is better but the DT sounds better by a substantial amount

If profit is their one and only goal, sure.

Do you think that that is the case with Elektron?

Probably does sound better as it runs at 48 instead of 44.1, but itā€™s also mono and applies some sort of eq curve to the sound which you could probably do with OTā€™s eqā€¦

If any one has both and wants to load a pre summed to mono file so we donā€™t just get the left side on the DT to both units, both 24 bit but 48 for DT and 44.1 for OT, we could see if we can pick out which is which and see how substantial it isā€¦ Make sure OT is set to 24 bit flexā€¦

I donā€™t think so, not knocking the DT at all, it does sound nice but when sampling external audio into the DT or OTmkI and mkII there is no significant difference in quality between all 3 machines, they all sound fine, the thing with the OT is inadequate metering can mean getting the best quality can be difficult for some, but once you know how to get the levels right in the OT it really shines.

2 Likes

Forgot this turned into a simple moan thread. Thanks for reminding me.

2 Likes

Huh?
You forgot, how did you manage that?
Have a read of the thread when you get a chance :wink:

1 Like

No, I donā€™t think itā€™s their one and only goal, but they are a growing business after all (with some kind of shareholders? as far as I know).

The customer ā€œvotesā€ are clear (after Simonā€™s statement). But hope dies last as the saying goes :slight_smile:

Well I read the title and saw all the thoughtful respā€¦ yea, youā€™re right.
Was all a fever dream.

1 Like

Fair point, I guess Iā€™m thinking a used OTmkI isnā€™t much more expensive than a new DT, but of course a lot of people prefer to buy new, and OB when it comes is probably a draw for some. I really like my DT and Iā€™d definitely be happy with it as an entry into Elektron machines, but still, outselling a machine that has been out 7 years is surprising.

Yeah it is a pretty crazy statistic!

Oh and to be fair about the price thing, I did get mine when it was basically at its lowest and I think it was slightly on sale from that ā€¦ was $630 I think from Sweetwaterā€¦ so the difference was a little more pronounced. That was right before they bumped the price, now showing as $739.

Just checked ebay recent completed listings and there are a bunch of OT MK1ā€™s that sold for $770-790. Damn, not much difference reallyā€¦

Cheaper products will generally always outsell more expensive ones.
Hence the trend nowadays why we mainly see cheap and basic products released

1 Like