Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

I don’t see why elektron could not jump from 1.07 to 1.10 :wink:

3 Likes

Me neither! :stuck_out_tongue:

Direct jump…

2 Likes

Of course the other thing to consider is Overbridge is currently at 1.15, and that sometimes version numbers increment only by a alphabetical suffix, some of the versions do not get released though.

i wait now 8 1/2 month for Overbridge… i am tired… eBay… ciao…

3 Likes

I purchased the Digitakt so I could record a long jam session & record the audio as multitrack, then edit this down to a song. Then crucially mix the thing down. Now I was surprised when I had my (pre-order Digitakt delivered back in April 2017) to find it did not include overbridge.

No problem I thought i’ll take a look online. then to my disappointed I read it would be released later in the year… that’s a bit open ended I thought considering its April 2017. But never mind i’ll just learn the thing inside out before the multi tracks come.

Now here I am nearly a year later, & the digitakt is nearly full of samples, I can’t back up any of my samples, or music. Or use the thing for the reason I bought it for.

As my introduction to Elektron gear I must admit i’m very disappointed, with how this has been prioritised & communicated, don’t think i’ll be buying anything more in a hurry.

10 Likes

Yeah it’s really bad at this point. Hopefully they are starting to roll out updates across the whole line up with OB 2.0 at the end.

Well, of course this is not impossible. But it ain’t gone be cheap. You’ll need at least 8 high quality DAs to convert the digital streams back into analog signals and some “standard platform” to run it on etc.pp.

If Elektron would provide such a break-out box it would at least cost around €500.- and a DIY box wouldn’t be much cheaper when you want quality.

The A4MKII has already separate outs. Since the voices are analog it’s simple to route them out (no conversion needed).

perhaps if this was dealt with better i would have upgraded to the ARMKII, but no chance now. I think i’ll sooner go back to the MPC range.

Elektron is participating in SXSW tomorrow, announcement on their Instagram featured “digitakt” and “digitone” tags. I wonder if we will see a sneak peek of OB maybe, or hear some news regarding it

1 Like

Digitone mark 2 confirmed

6 Likes

If OB for the DT and DN were released around similar times and also soon- that would make me exceptionally happy.

I’m in the exact same position. I wrote the MPC live off and was looking at an Octatrack but the Live has been getting Some love from Akai (os2.0+) and Elektron still can’t release a decent sample manager for my 3 year old Rytm.
Obviously AKAI is a bigger company but Elektron has really been flopping lately.

I still don’t understand why they thought a bit of communication and then back to full dark was a good idea after all that’s happened.

3 Likes

Though the Toblerone is additional to the product, I have purchased, and though I can arguably use my device without the Toblerone, I am going to start a Class Action Suit to demand the announcement of the free Toblerone release date.

Free Toblerones have been promised, and it is unacceptable that we the not-paying for Toblerone public, are being kept in the dark about such things.

This whole situation makes me very angry - and I don’t even like Toblerones.

Anyway - I have other things to complain about… I need to send a strongly worded email to Apple for not telling me about the new MacPro they have promised me, and phone the production team of Back To The Future as it is now 2018 and my Hoverboard still hasn’t been made available!!!

7 Likes

Whilst I agree that it is very very poor service that Rytm does not have bi-directional sample transfer after 3+ years, the Octatrack is not crippled in this regard because it works as USB drive, or you can simply remove the CF card and use a card reader, so I would not let it put you off just on the basis of backing up your work.

I can understand that because of the way Elektron have acted it may make you reluctant to spend any more money on their devices, but there are plenty of used Octatrack mkI available and it is a solid machine, probably a better bet than the MPC if you do not want the ‘cutdown DAW in a box’ experience.

Personally, aside from perhaps the A4, I think the Octatrack is by far the best Elektron product to date, and it does not need Overbridge which is a bonus.

4 Likes

I’m literally flip flopping on this choice daily. I’m mainly looking for a portable writing tool that is not a laptop/ipad.
Both have adequate sample management and now that OT has trig conditions, the 4 bar limit is less of an issue. But yes, part of my resistance to the OT stems from my shaky opinion of Elektron lately.
Its hard to support a brand that seems to be running in the opposite direction of what I thought they were when I joined the fold:a Hardware company with a solid rep. for updating their current and past boxes.

The OT mk1 would be fine except it requires a different spec psu then the Ar/A4 which I already have battery power solutions for. Finding one that works for OT mk1 has proven much more expensive.
Either model will cost around $1050 in the end (I have a special arrangement with a supplier).
Unfortunately I have been unable to pit my hands on either live or OT so the internet has been my guide.

Don’t buy for the company, buy for the box as it is. Not what you hope it will be. Had both the live and OT, OT remains and live is now a maschine. For portability I use iPad and a pad controller and both honestly surpass it in a lot of ways. If you’re actually going to use the battery power the live is great but the FX aren’t all that and it’s missing some things that may or may not be a problem for you.

Either box is a good tool. I didn’t intentionally replace live with maschine, I sent it back cause I needed money at the time and the missus bought me a maschine mk3 for christmas. I use a lot of NI software so the mk3 fit right in for me, it seems a lot more fleshed out imo. More professional looking UI but I do miss the MPC way of working with sequences. Honestly though the MPC sticks out a bit much for portability. I’ve got no problem making beats on the train or in a coffee shop with my iPad even with a pad controller but I just wouldn’t feel low key enough with that chunky box and I’m certainly not taking my precious OT out and about either

Go with OT for depth, MPC for simplicity, maschine for computer integration and iPad and pad controller for portability. I’m suggesting it even if you said no iPad, it’s great

3 Likes

A month and no update - shame on you Elektron.

Hmmm, you’ve given me much to think about. I actually own an iPad and have beat maker 3 but I really want to avoid ipads as I don’t care for the highly pushy update style as well as no way to downgrade. My ipad worked fine with BM3 on IOS10 but now can barely handle 5 tracks after IOS11.

Beyond that, I feel I need both units. It seems the Live will be better at fine tuning my arrangements while OT will take me to places I didn’t know I was going.
The OT also gets a plus as I have thought about replacing my Pioneer RMX1000 with the OT as a master effects unit for live performance.

However, I find working on the AR and A4 that the sequencer doesn’t always respond the way I think it will, especially when it comes to parameter slides, and the limitations that come with trigs being read individually per step (i.e. automation like if I need a pitch sweep over 8 trigs but an effect to pop in after the first 4 trigs, I don’t know how to get around it. Even if there is a way, I know it would be easier to do so on the Live).

I really need to figure out how to get my hands on both for a day or two to really put them through the ringer. Anyone live in Asheville, NC USA who has either or both?