Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

“A digital and highly flexible sound engine, sampling capability, a live-friendly sequencer, the means to control external MIDI gear, and Overbridge support.”

"Overbridge and Digitakt
Overbridge is a software suite from Elektron, offering powerful tools when using Digitakt together with computers. Overbridge for Digitakt comes in two variants: Basic and Premium."

“Overbridge support for use as a software plugin with any DAW” appears on the DT website page of one of my local retailers today. A quick check of some others in U.K. reveals extensive details on overbridge, and how it works with digitakt, without mentioning that it isn’t actually available.

I understand that these descriptions are a copy and paste job from Elektron or local distributors, but if I was selling Digitakts, I’d be a bit clearer on that personally!

Even Elektron.se has a big ‘Seamless computer integration with Overbridge’ banner. No asterix, no ‘Coming soon:’, you have to scroll down several pages to find out it isn’t released yet.

Just does not really sit right with me, I’m afraid.

5 Likes

As I’ve said above, I’m not commenting on whether it’s right or wrong - there’s plenty of fair criticism to be made.

I’m only talking about whether Elektron are being deliberately dishonest about Overbridge, and whether they could successfully be legally challenged on it.

I do agree they could and should be clearer about Overbridge’s availability. But I don’t believe they’ve crossed those two lines - and the regular posts from some users that suggest otherwise are starting to irk me.

1 Like

My point is, in U.K., retailers can be challenged if their description is inaccurate.

As I say, I’ll be using Digitakt for a range of things (OB or none!). I am still looking forward to OB, which was part of my buying decision, but I’m put off from choosing Elektron in the future.

I would personally be a little happier if there had been more information on the delays around NAMM and the Digitone launch, rather than afterwards. But I am not in a position to comment as to whether this was “deliberate” or not (and don’t care much either way - the impact on me as a customer is pretty much the same!).

I’m one of those glass-half-full people who remembers the good and forgets the bad pretty quickly. Good performance from Elektron on bug fixes and overbridge in the future will be all it takes to put their other boxes back on my wants list!

… and to make things just a little bit more complicated/misleading, it is not so that “Overbridge” is only an upcoming, not yet released product. No, no, Sir, the product named Overbridge already exists and can be used (well, not for the new, shiny ones / when we write “enabled” we mean “Overbridge 2.0 enabled”) … :wink:

To be honest: All this usage of present tense in the marketing and also in the quick guide is quite misleading. But maybe they just don’t know when to use future and when present tense correctly?

/irony-mode-off

Yep, and my point is Overbridge isn’t the product you’re buying from them so they’re safe from that challenge.

Broadly speaking I’m with you on the positivity front. I’m disappointed I didn’t get to use DT + OB before I sold it, and disappointed I had to delete the samples I made with it. But if they implement it well for DN all will be forgiven.

have i been reading this correctly? are we now at the point of anti-daw elitism/puritanism? you reduce this line of argumentation down to its constituent parts and you’re left with sticks and rocks for sound design.

1 Like

Well, laughing here, I bought a drum machine that was supposed to be capable of close integration with a daw. Call it what you like… but that’s what was claimed!

Roll on OB for all the supposedly supported machines. I’m already not holding my breath, but will be happy when it happens.

And it is capable of that integration* - when you use an additional product. The Digitakt will have elements of its software and hardware that have been designed from the ground up for use with Overbridge.

If it was claimed to be a fully class compliant audio interface with 8 outputs over USB and bidirectional midi control without the need for additional software then what you’re saying would be fully correct (and you aren’t wholly incorrect of course, this isn’t black and white).

*unless of course Elektron release OB and say ‘actually we messed up the design of DT and have now realised it can never work with Overbridge, soz. No refunds’. From the tone of some of the messages in this thread is almost as if that’s what they’ve done.

1 Like

Where’s my Toblerone?

3 Likes

It will soon be a year since I bought it, and it isn’t capable of it at all, yet, as far as me, the consumer, is concerned. You really have lost me.

I think we all get your point. I simply think your wrong.

At least for DT the Overbridge and Daw integration was/is advertised as part of the products core functionality. At least in Scandinavia the rules are pretty much that if anything that’s advertised can be seen as misleading the consumer is right. We have these cases all the time and the consumer always wins. That is he gets the money back due to ruling in the consumer council. This has nothing to do with the intent of elektron. It has to do with the fact that if something is perceived a certain way by the consumer, the consumer is in the right if this is something that could be seen as something reasonable to believe.

Rulings are even of the kind where they say the consumer should probably have understood this but as the advertised product is possible to misunderstand they will have to rule in favor of the consumer.

If you bought directly from elektron I think they will give a refund, no problem. If you bought from a retailer they are liable and probably would end up giving a refund too although they might give you more hassle.

The talk of lawsuit is probably a bit misleading. You’ll get a refund and nothing more. Well if a retailer makes you take it to the consumer council, any cost of this will also have to be covered by retailer.

Don’t know about US laws of course. That stuff is crazy.

5 Likes

Ah, missed this post cos you didn’t make it a reply.

I think there’s lots of maybes in there. I did actually look past the advice page you linked to see the specific rules and the only one that I thought they might be in breach of was the one around product availability. But only if you’re talking about Overbridge as the product in question. And it’s more about whether a product is in limited quantities, but advertised as if its fully available.

It honestly boils down to whether you’re arguing the boxes and Overbridge are the same product. And as I’ve said once or twice, I don’t believe they are - in a legal or colloquial sense.

Others disagree, but the logic is odd to me:

A: Overbridge is a separate product
B: No it isn’t
A: So what’s the problem?
B: We can’t use it because it’s not out yet
A: How can it not be out yet if it isn’t a separate product?

So you get yr Toblerone when you point me to an actual rule which has unambiguously been broken, or caselaw which suggests buying one product on the promise of using it with a future product which is then delayed (by nine whole days at the time of writing!) constitutes misleading / false advertising.

An example might be, say, buying a games console because you want to play the new Zelda game which is advertised for release in February. The release date on Zelda then gets pushed back but the adverts for the console still show pictures of the Zelda game, and state the game is playable on the console. If something like that has ever resulted in a verdict of false advertising then you may well be proven right.

Dude we all know this thread is a write off. Just don’t read it.

Personally, I’m just killing time waiting for my boiler to be repaired. Don’t know what anyone else’s motivation for continuing this (I agree) almost entirely pointless discussion is.

But of course I’ve upped the stakes now by introducing the Toblerone challenge. :open_mouth:

The Facebook page just announced updates for Rytm, Digitone and I think Digitakt.

I was about to comment, but the post vanished. Firmware updates at least, may be imminent!

Yeah that was weird. Website still has only 1.31b from feb 6th so prob some intern is in deep shit over there :slight_smile:

1 Like

It popped up here on the News page for a few minutes and then vanished… I suspect we’ll be seeing something soon!

1 Like

Only bugfixes which is great but not the crazy start of an awesome weekend full of crazy 2VCO drums I guess :slight_smile:

Does the site really still say it comes in two variants basic and free? Cause that was axed a few months ago.

Friday afternoon is traditional for firmware updates! So who knows?