Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

We saw a very similar scenario when Access released the Virus TI way back, with its total computer integration.
Very angry customers at the beginning, saying Access is crazy, but the bugs were squashed and has proven to be one of the best instruments ever due to them persevering with it.
Elektron are travelling the same path and will no doubt sort it out sooner or later

2 Likes

Personally I can’t wait until all these Elektron whinge bags sell up their machines and move on… the boo hoo stories are pretty boring now…

7 Likes

Some of this reminds of something that seems similar… in a way.
At a supermarkt (I hate them), standing in a long queue one dude yelled at the cashier that she is not motivated enough and toooo slow, getting really upset and so on…,

I understand the frustration, but please give Elektron crew a break, it´s been said nicely here already, take some pressure off them, be nice, let´s be patient, we will not make it faster if we are like this dude yelling in the queue to the cashier to be faster…, she just can´t be faster, more patience is asked, oh jesus haha - Peace everybody :wink:

4 Likes

This thread is like a car crash. I feel terrible looking at it, but it is entertaining on a voyeur level. I bought the DT when it was first released and have been waiting for OB since May of last year… And to be honest, I had zero expectations that Elektron would have it finished anytime soon, especially after the second time they pushed the release date back. But I do love sampling with the DT… Luckily for me not long after they released the DT, they released the OTmkII, and the bottom dropped out of the used OTmkI price. So, I bought an OT to do what I would’ve used OB for(longer samples, looping, more effects) These days I use the DT less and less (I think because I’m afraid to fill the DT up with samples), finding the OT to be my go to machine. Once they release a back-up solution for the DT I will be satisfied. I still don’t believe that even if they do release OB it will work in my work flow. Not because it’s Elektron’s fault, but because when using computers, there is latency, and CPU limitations, and OS differences…and sooo many things that could be possible nightmare scenario’s. But, I’m excited to see what they come up with, and can’t wait to back up my DT projects!

2 Likes

so you can transfer samples off DT?

Releasing DT with an OS installed which is 100% ready for a related software product would only be possible if that software product was finished. In which case they could just release it.

They’re making clear that a software update will be needed for it to work with Overbridge. Presumably a percentage of what is needed is already part of the DT OS and hardware (it’s therefore ‘enabled’), but they know that final tweaks will be needed when OB is done to make the two meet in the middle. I imagine that will be complex.

It will be possible to use DT with OB, so it’s ‘Overbridge enabled’. It will never be possible to use OT MKII with OB, so it’s not ‘Overbridge enabled’. Overbridge is a separate product which isn’t out yet. :+1:

2 Likes

Dude are you sure you’re not Elektrons lawyer :joy:

6 Likes

I can easily understand the attempt to put everything in the right light. Finally, the allegations that are made are quite serious and seem to be based on misunderstandings. which is not least because of the fact that electron’s different formulations left room for interpretation.

Just trying to shine some light in the darkness. :peace_symbol:️

So that’s where the rest of my bottle wine went. I give up restlessboy, your shining light isn’t working for me.

1 Like

Never drink and forum. :+1:

sorry @mzero
but it seems that your tool is not working bidirectional and so i must say it‘s not working or doing something better than the regular transfer tool.

sad to see you‘re wasting your spare time with this.
in fact we could have a working bidirectional sample management tool since months, but elektron is not giving any APIs.
for me this is simply blocking of that process!

Crunch already has far more functionality than the Elektron transfer app. Folders, renaming, deleting - all this could only be done on the DT before, and more functionality will come in time. It’s already been explained why APIs take time to be released.

mzero is giving away his program for free, have some respect.

16 Likes

I would even pay,
so cool down!
I‘m in deepest respect, but it‘s not his mistake that it‘s not working fully!

For me sample management by regular transfer tool is quite enough, the point is the opposite way!

So once again, we could have a fully working bidiectional transfer tool since months!

It‘s elektron which sucks, not users!

1 Like

Yeah, if transfer were bi-directional most of the comments here and elsewhere would never have been made. And in all likelihood that would have been easier to develop through transfer instead of cludging it into OB. Just a poor decision by Elektron.

I know I’ve been quite harsh above and I do feel for the guys developing the product. If they’re crazy enough to come and read the comments here it must be a bit disheartening. And marry that with the additional pressure of emerging products like the TR8S I doubt they’re having much fun. But, I have a lot of experience in software delivery and the number one rule is never leave your customers in the dark. It creates a vacuum for speculation and the longer they remain in the dark the more the speculation turns to resentment and distrust.

2 Likes

Pretty much, bad decisions and poor communication and releasing new hardware when previous hardware still has basic functionality issues, not a way to win customers over.

1 Like

FACT!

If this would work you wouldn‘t hear any word from me and i could finally stop checking and fopping this platform like a kharmaless idiot!

Nowhere near as sad as that comment.

3 Likes

He wipped it up pretty quick, probably learn some new tricks that build his knowledge, and gets to show off how much of a bad ass coder he is… hardly a waste of time or sad… one of the coolest things I’ve seen on the forum and makes me want to get off my ass and learn about this webmidi stuff. Inspiring stuff :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Ok, I think now would be time for Moderators to step in and also for Elektron to give us some kind of an update. Because if we are characterising Elektron as a small company of individuals, customer caring that is suppose to get some slack, at least they should update us more and frequently and have better communication than, lets say again, Apple.

You can’t have both from two different worlds. Asking for patience but then being tight lipped. Because now it seems they are only protecting their own interest and sales. Tell us aprox. date of the release and how things are going. We are all here very understanding, so you should be also. Your products are not cheap and have premium price, customer care and communication should be premium also.

9 Likes