Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

“oh 70 new posts something must have happened”

reads them

“…oh.”

21 Likes

Dude…just stop.

1 Like

Nah, this thread’s a write off anyway. You know what yr getting when you stick yr head in here. All good fun.

ELekTrON JOHN - TROUBLED OVERBRIDGE…WATER

1 Like

As pissed as I am about not having OB I still love my Digitakt. I’m happy I got I for the price I did before the price jump to $730 USD. If I paid that kind of money, with a promise of Overbridge in February, I’d be losing my mind. Not only that, after some digging here in the forums it seems that OB (at least V1) only records dry signals. So you can multi track at once, but no send FX get transferred over which is kind of whack. We obviously don’t know how V2 is going to be yet but if it’s going to be like that I’ll just stick to recording each track individually for now. Half my sound on the DT comes from all the FX I use in it so if they don’t get recorded out there’s really no point in OB for me except possible back up options and using the DT as an interface while I travel.

I’m not sure what aspect you are claiming is “pure negative speculation,” but he is right about issues with Aggregate Devices not having ample “clock.” I’ve run many systems with and without Wordclock setups and he is correct, the drifting that occurs without word clock is not acceptable in music genres that need to be “tight.” He and I are both on OS X and you appear to be on Windows, so again, not sure what you are basing your reaction to his statement on.
Have you run tests to prove you experience no drift/latency? I’m genuinely curious as I have considered moving to windows to get away from the “Apple Tax.”

They would need some big balls for that kind of decision, but i would highly welcome this including some open source possibilities to give other devs the chance to get this mess fixed!

as i remember @mzero already does have something in the pipeline to manage samples on DT ?and other gear?what will probably never get its full functionality. (crossing fingers)
they‘re blocking third party devs and usability just to keep its own ecosysten. which is actually a non existing ecosystem with -features …

after „giving“ OB free of charge there is no need to give a kind of warranty for releasing or supporting it. so even if we get a „working“ OB, there is no guaranty that it will do it‘s job for a longer time …

unbelievable to see what this crazyness of waiting, hoping & expecting is doing to this community and it‘s users.

Absolutely speculation. Not calling you a liar, but I don’t see how say a 16 channel interface and 10 channels of audio over USB/OB (essentially a second interface) will sync w/out clock. I’ll believe it when I see it.

I’m sorry, but I’ve had a glass of wine. So whilst I said to myself “leave it alone foxy”, I can’t. restlessboy, go read the website and the packaging for DT. Clear statement on both “Overbridge enabled”. Go read the manual…you need DT OS 1.10 for OB to work. DT OS 1.10 does not exist, therefore DT is not OB enabled. There’s your lie. And it has nothing to do with whether OB is a separate product or not. DT in its current state cannot connect to any version of OB, it is not enabled to do so.

I don’t know why you feel you have to go on some pedantic crusade as to what constitutes a lie or false advertising, but clearly there is a problem with the way Elektron are treating existing customers and future customers. This debate has made me look more closely at the wording that Elektron has been using and I am now concerned that they are knowingly choosing their words carefully so as not to be accused of lying (the example above notwithstanding) whilst in the full knowledge that they had no OB solution available and no idea when it would be available. Which is worse? Lying or knowingly misleading your customers just make sure sales continued. I doubt anyone here gives a monkeys.

2 Likes

W/out OB, DT is overpriced for what it can do. it’s a 499$ device at most. Behringer could probably churn them out for $299. But you pay a premium for things made in EU countries I suppose.

oh it definitely exists…

I got mine on a pretty good sale earlier this year, and I have to say I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth with it. OB was definitely a nice touch but I got this box specifically to be away from the computer. OB was definitely some sweet icing on the cake that pushed me to finally purchase, but I always kinda knew it was too good to be true. The fact that I can just hit one power switch and I’m already making crazy beats has been worth the price to me. But no back up is definitely, definitely a damper. I would suggest anybody considering these newer boxes to just wait until OB is finally released (and working) before investing anymore into Elektron. I feel like a lack of sales and a build up of complaints will be the only thing that can push OB sooner. But if uninformed people keep buying these machines, THEN get mad about OB, Elektron isn’t going to care much. At that points it’s about buyer discretion (at least how I imagine they see it. )

1 Like

Overbridge doesn’t run as an aggregate device, that’s the whole point of it. For Windows users a system like the TR8 or Ultranova where it has to be the (only) audio interface is pretty much useless. I don’t have an A4 anymore but I’m sure there are plenty of happy users on here who will give you a testimonial. The Virus TI works in the same way (through a plugin).

Even coming from the most cynical members of the forum, It’s total rubbish to assume Overbridge is going to be non-functional when it launches. Elektron might be bad at meeting deadlines but they’re not going to ship a broken piece of software.

1 Like

Plenty of videos on YouTube of how Overbridge works on the analog machines, you don’t have to take my word for it.

I’ve seen videos A4 working w/ OB, but not of someone running 16 channels of live audio in one interface alongside 10 OB streams in a plugin and it being cherry pie. I’ve also heard about a lot of issues A4 OB users have had w/ latency. By forcing the user to use the TR8 as your interface when streaming tracks, at least you know it will be reliably synced. I’d rather have that then nothing at all

I don’t see how the number of channels would make a difference, assuming your CPU is up to the task.

The sample manager for Digitakt has been released and works. I’ve released a video of it working for Analog Rytm mkII as well. New updates and new features will be forthcoming (at least as fast as you can expect from someone who is doing this for free in spare time after work and family… :slight_smile: )

In my experience, this is wholly untrue. Elektron has been professional and respectful in all my dealings with them. You might see the delay in an external API for us developers as “blocking”, but I know from being on the other side, releasing an API is a long term commitment. If you make a mistake with it, you end up supporting that mistake a long time. My interactions with Elektron indicate that they are being thoughtful and careful about APIs. As much as I’m itching for them, I respect the time and care it takes. I’m willing to wait, 'cause in the end my software will be better and more functional for it.

9 Likes

Overbridge must be a pain in the ass and they can’t get it working up to snuff…

Why would a company lie and try to fool people with false claims if soon enough to the customers will realize. How would this be beneficial other than making a few sales until it turns around and bites them in the ass? It already is, people are returning and not buying the products, and people are being turned off from Elektron…

How could this possibly be a way to make more money? People are already talking about suing them…
Sure they should probably reword all of the OB labels and adds, but to think they are intentionally lying for sales is rediculous, that’s a good way to go out of business, not expand one…

I bet nobody is as stressed out as the OB devs and they would be so relieved if they could just make it work like they thought they could…

5 Likes

I agree with your statement about the OB devs.

Elektron isn’t some huge monolithic corporation. All this anger and vitriol is being directed at a team of probably no more than 5 or 6 people. The amount of pressure they must be feeling now is hard not to sympathise with.

Elektron made a mistake, but I’m sure they’re trying to fix it. Anger and hate won’t get us anywhere.

10 Likes

The individual outs on all the boxes are dry, through overbridge or the actual physical outs. The effects only go out over the main outputs.