Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

All this brings up an interesting problem, if everything is tied to OB… what happens in 5-10 years when Elektron might abandon OB, or disappear into oblivion. You never know… that would suck

4 Likes

Just bring out a Digitakt Mk2 with SD card and 6 or 8 outputs… I’d buy it. Then I can happily never install OB :triumph:

2 Likes

Can they just make MK2 users can use MK1 OB instead? since i know there are not much differences between MK1 & MK2 (Rytm & A4) except the few buttons and the case.

Only for sounds now if i’m right

1 Like

This is one of my main concerns with anything dependent on desktop computer operating systems - the gear seems almost disposable because at some point the desktop operating systems change significantly that continued support becomes impractical - fortunately Elektron have not chosen to make Overbridge a requirement for the gear to work, so at least it does not either become a paperweight or require an old computer to be kept and maintained to continue using, but there has been plenty of other hardware which becomes landfill due to nothing other than software obsolescence, I hate that kind of thing.

Of course the other thing to consider is just how quickly desktop operating systems and computer hardware changes these days, so compatibility and bug fixes are a constant drain on resources, not so bad if you are a software company, bring out a new version add some bells and whistles and everyone pays to upgrade, not relevant if you are a hardware company who does not make software, but if you are a company that has a line of hardware products that have a software app across multiple platforms it becomes a bit like juggling eels, a sticky situation as we appear to be witnessing, unfortunately.

4 Likes

True. But backup on the DT and DN being tied to OB is a worry

3 Likes

I think I remember a comment from an Elektron employee stating that back up would have a separate app, but as yet this has not been developed I guess because the focus is on getting Overbridge sorted.

1 Like

It’s hair splitting and not really accurate IMHO, because it was heavily(!) advertised, that the whole computer integrated package would be working by the end of February.

And of course Overbridge also is no separate product in any way making sense any longer: it has been developed for the only purpose to work with Elektron machines, and meanwhile to supply full computer integration AS PART OF THE ADVERTISED PRODUCT.

That’s also the reason why they no longer charge for it: it is no longer an additional option for possible buyers, but advertised as full part of the product!

So no,I think you can’t try to be accurate while at the same time throwing nebula around well known, very clear and undeniable facts. :wink:

Nevermind, it’s not about who of us is right, we agree essentially that the way it is now is a no go.

How they could not see this as a major liability is completely beyond me and it’s one of the reasons that OB, even if it’s released at some point will not go beyond gimmick status for me.

1 Like

It’s accurate when what I am doing is trying to disagree with people who are essentially claiming Elektron have lied.

Elektron released various boxes for sale - they work (again with caveat about bugs). People, including me, bought them.
Elektron are going to release an additional, optional product called Overbridge which adds features.
Compatibility with the second product is an advertised feature of the first product. It is not ‘part of it’ as numerous people who have popped up to say they don’t value OB attest to. The whole thing is, as you say, a ‘package’, which also includes a computer to run OB on.

What Elektron got wrong was advertising a release date then missing it (and not deleting that release date from their site).

So the only bit I am interested in, and the only reason I am ‘splitting hairs’ is that no one has persuaded me that Elekton have lied. If no one can pinpoint the lie, then it’s not false advertising. A missed deadline is not a lie - though it’s undoubtedly bad in various other ways.

Do you think they lied? And if so, about what?

If not, then go in peace. :peace_symbol:

1 Like

I doubt overbridge track streaming will work w/ out horrible latency and clocking issues if you aren’t using your Elektron box as your interface, windows or mac. “Aggregate Devices” as they are called in Mac OS must all be clocked together, otherwise you end up with problems.

I like to keep hold of things that I like, objects which become part of who you are, I have stuff that I kept for decades and still use, one day when I’m gone my relatives will have these items, just as I have cherished items from my departed relatives. Nowadays it is more difficult to find items which are made to last, from furniture, clothes, electronics and this is a shame I think, and not environmentally friendly either.

Same here. Holding off on buying a Digitakt for months now because of this craziness. Also cancelled my pre-order of the Roland TR-8S. I don’t ever pre-order things, but that TR-8S looked just about perfect to me. But, I think it’s wiser to wait, as usual, until some reviews and real-world user testing take place, not just promos and partner/reseller YouTube spots.

I’m no programmer but the complexity involved in developing and maintaining something like OverBridge for different DAW’s, platforms, USB versions, and constantly evolving operating systems just boggles my tiny feeble mind. They must be wizards to pull all that off! But if they are hitting a brick wall, I would not be mad at Elektron at all for simply saying:

“You know what, we tried. The full-on vision of OB didn’t work out. So, here’s a basic way of transferring samples, backing up machines, and streaming audio via USB. Now we’re going to get back to what we do best - hardware and firmware and all around cool shit. Here’s some coupons for gear and free sample packs for your troubles.”

I imagine a parallel Elektron universe where OB was never invented would be looking better right now, or at least a whole lot calmer. But then again, I’m not an OB user so I imagine I’ve just pissed off a bunch of loyal OB users who are grabbing their torches and pitchforks right now. Sorry, just my personal take on things. Carry on.

This times 1 million. Exactly what I’d like.

That’s why I have a couple of vintage straight razors my kids one day will inherit.

Pure negative speculation. When I had an A4 Overbridge worked perfectly on my Windows machine alongside another interface, there’s no reason to believe the software won’t be good once it finally lands.

1 Like

Did you make that or is it a saying? Made me laugh. On topic it concerns me too, it concerns me even more that with them doubling down regardless of previous overbridge f ups they’re likely to only bring boxes out compatible with OB. If they don’t add it to the next box everyone will jump on them for dropping it too which doesn’t help. Surely it would have been ridiculously cheaper to just give the things individual outs at this point. Or just add them as well, people would happily make up the cost and then some for the privilege. I don’t understand the proprietary functions thing popular with companies at the minute, no one is going to dominate the market and become the standard so why try? They’d make more money not bothering. Look what happened to Walter white

I hope you only use those to shave your face

It is a saying I think, although there is also:
this!

I don’t care if they lied or misinformed us or whatever.
It’s not about moralising: it’s about not fulfilling your duties as business partner, less than a month after you explicitly confirmed you would!
It’s a clear contract violation.

But since I’m no lawyer, and just want to make and record music, my intention is not to sue them. I just demand responsibility and acceptable forms of communication. Elektron clearly failed to fulfill the advertiised offer, and then were impertinent enough to tell us just that, without even feeling responsible to communicate any concrete way out of the problem, and a rough new estimated time frame.

And no, Elektron did NOT develop an additional product AFTER selling me my ARMkII. Instead, they told me they have a completely computer integrated product on offer, constisting of both parts, and would deliver one part a month after the other part. I can’t follow your arguing one bit here: it refers to a past state of things, which has long changed with new devices and advertisments!

2 Likes