Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

apparently it’s possible - we have different options so a non-admin user can advise (or search mute/block etc) - you can also mute topics

[edit : it seems there has been some confusion wrt muting notifications of particular users, rather than posts]

1 Like

And an Englishman happy too!

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I’m not sure which editing software I mean, either. I downloaded a deluge of stuff when my Analog Four arrived, but have been flailing about trying to get OverBridge to work. Now I see why it does not. :slight_smile:

Elektron has my full trust. But i‘m one of the people who don’t really into OB. My cheap Roland MX-1 can stream all channels simultaneously into my DAW, one track per channel. At the same time he can transfer Audio to the mixer. A midi channel for every single piece of my electric friends(yes Gary, they are all electric), can send midi CCs for automations, pattern changes. I can create my midi-templates for the gear I use and map the settings to a MPK 249 or every other controller, save it as preset.
Maybe I don’t get overbridge. Of course creating sounds with the editors like on the A4 mk1 is a great thing, but the streaming thing can be done. I know you can’t stream every single channel because of the lack of physical outs. It wouldn’t cost much more if they made the DT/AH/DN a little bit bigger. (I hope i won’t get killed for saying that :hocho: :wink: ) The cost for the outputs isn’t the problem.
Only thing i know is that a company needs money, therefore new products must be released. Then there are investors and other reasons why and when something new needs to be released.
Did they focus on the MK2 series and the Digiton, knowingly that there are still bugs on the the DT and not overbridge for everyone? Yes, pretty sure IMO. Did they do it to fuck customers, no. Did they know how much code the have to write for Overbridge, no. Programming is something extremely complex, especially if you have to do with assembler language for the specific components. Software that runs without bugs on different operating Systems is a thing of the past and even there where bugs. But with increasing complexity of code, the error rate rises exponentially.

Think of the people 30 years ago, they would have killed someone to get some of the gear we have now and just wait a few months until it gets released. But even the i expect bug at the beginning and especially at the end, when we all reached windows 14, new transfer standards, or the AI apocalypse peaking in singularity!

Elektron continues to slide even further downward regarding reputation. At one time they were one of the most highly regarded groovebox/sequencer/drum type companies out there.

Taking on OB was a huge misstep. They have to update it with every OS update basically forever (not that it worked so well anyway, and never did work how it was designed for AU’s).

They really should “enable” song mode for the Digitakt and Digitone and give midi sequencing capabilities to the A4, RYTM and AK to at least begin to make amends.

It is scary they aren’t even releasing a release date now and continue to falsely advertise Overbridge. Could there be financial troubles? What is going on?

3 Likes

Once they figure out how to sync the OT with Digitakt & DT correctly they won’t need the song mode… as of now tho it’s a whole bar off so no go

I’ve only had my Analog Keys for a couple of weeks but it and Overbridge seem to work really, really well. I use the AK as my audio I/O device and program the synth engine from the VSTi and it all works perfectly with just 256 samples of latency. Where are there problems?

It used to work for me too. Then seemingly out of nowhere (after Windows update possibly) I started getting pops and crackles and even bsod crashes. Nothing seemed to fix it, other than switching to a Steinberg ur22 mk2.

Interesting. At the moment I think I have about five alternate USB/ASIO devices lying around, so I won’t be too upset if this one stops working but it seems strange, given that my PC is bang up to date with W10. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Overbridge? It might help.

Machines that came with OB a few years ago:

A4
AR

Machines that now comes with Overbridge:

A4
AR
AH
DT
A42
AR2
DN

imo the delay is fairly understandable

but, fwiw, I wonder if the next version of OB will actually include the mki’s

1 Like

Multiple machines, multiple operating systems, multiple DAWs, new driver, etc. That’s a tonne of dev and testing, but they should have known that from the outset. As I’ve said elsewhere Elektron come across as pretty inexperienced in the delivery of software.

DT update 1.05 had to be patched with 1.06 and the transfer software is not very good. I have to turn my DT off and then back on, then start transfer in order for it to see my machine. And why only offer a one way transfer? It would be much more useful if it went both ways and can hardly require huge amounts of dev time. Might also take some of the heat off OB.

If Elektron aren’t putting a date out, it’s because they don’t have confidence in any estimate they are currently working to. My guess is March is gone, April too…so May/June are the most likely with a fair wind. Hope I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Perhaps someone can answer this for me:
I’m interested in using Digitakt and my laptop live with Overbridge.
Will I be able to route both the DT and the sound from Ableton out through the DT outputs, or will only the inputs of the DT work as an interface?
It would be wonderful to just have two 1/4" balanced jacks insead of the mini jack stereo output of the laptop and an additional mixer.

1 Like

lol - i really wonder how someone can get so emotional because of machines and software to do such a thing ? that´s nearlly like tactical war. what should that be good for ? won´t bring OB earlier and no peace either.

2 Likes

I have briefly used OB with my A4 MK1 and, as far as I remember, the only audio connections were through the A4 itself. My MacBook was connected by a single USB cable and the A4 dealt with Ableton’s sound.

So yes, hopefully the Digitakt should be able to function as a soundcard while also playing its own 8 audio tracks. As far as I’m aware, anyway.

1 Like

According to OB/DT specs. not,
but this would be great!

I tried everything, even investigated the issue with Elektron support (who helped the best they could I must say) but did not find a fix.

Actually, I am starting to believe mk1 boxes have several different USB chipsets causing some units to be more stable with OB than others.

Have you tried fresh install of Win?

You’re partially correct, I think. Although I think the issue is the USB chipset on the computer side, not the Elektron side. I suspect Elektron is only doing QA with a handful of systems which causes problems for people not using those specific systems. My old 2008 iMac worked OK with Overbridge (I had limited channels of audio, occasional dropouts/latency), my newer macbook air didn’t work at all (nonstop clicks/pops/dropouts/latency) while my 2016 macbook pro works fine. All with the exact same OS, Overbridge version, and Elektron gear.

That’s why a public beta would be ideal; get as much exposure to all chipsets as possible to see where it will fail.

I’m guessing there’s no beta because Overbridge probably goes from doesn’t work at all to now working. don’t think theres a lot of in between stages where it kinda works