Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

That is their mistake. Even if they manage to get this to work. They are trying to enter a market dominated by Roland and Korg (small low budget hobby setups). Anyone with hardware and a DAW will already have an audio interface that offers more than a stereo input.

1 Like

False statment again, lot of people with hardware and daw with simple stereo card. Who you think buy thĆØse audiocard?ā€™

1 Like

Access already went that way with the TI (ā€œtotal integrationā€, sound familiar?) and the result was they stopped making synths because people just moved to plug-ins. Why spend ā‚¬600 - ā‚¬1500 on hardware that you control from the computer when you can get the same and better sounds from a plug-in at a fraction of the price?

Already we see people not using the sequencer built into Elektron gear because they sequence them with a DAW and Overbridgeā€¦ and once you realise you 're not using the boxā€™s main selling point (the sequencer), the logical next step is to not buy the hardware since youā€™re doing it all in the DAW anyway.

2 Likes

I understand very well :frowning:
There still hope though but personally im done waiting, it has been a very long time.
For now i use Overbridge with my Rytm MK1 with Bitwig and its working fine but since iā€™ve bought the A4 MK2 and sold my A4 MK1 im out of luck. To be honest i am an Elektron fan boy but im not going to buy their new machines. Took very long time to fix the bugs. Im thinking about alternatives like the SynthStrom Deluge for example.

1 Like

Never been that bothered about OB. Is it doing something profound that Iā€™m missing? I used it once and tried to do an offline bounce of a stem in Logic and got back a garbled mess, was always constantly out of sync too so I quickly moved on. Personally donā€™t see it adding much other than convenience but I could be wrong.

1 Like

It has nice graphics and you can use the mouse to edit stuff on the machineā€¦ and you can use the DAW to sequence paramters since the onboard sequencer is ā€œtoo complicatedā€ā€¦ Seamless Intergration, man, this is the future, woohoo! :disappointed_relieved:

Jesus, why is there only Black or White in your world? Hey, there is grey too.

I can only speak for myself of course. After 10 years of pushing a mouse and Midi Controllers I just wanted to try some hardware. I did the research and when I found out about Elektron and their OB technology I was willing to try it. That hybrid workflow was exactly what I was looking for.

So far, Iā€™m happy with OB version 1 and its a breeze to tweak all channels with all the flexibility a DAW offers. Plus I donā€™t have to spend extra money on patchbays, mixers, outboard FX etc.

There is your answer. Hope you understand now why some people like to use OB.

2 Likes

You canā€™t offline bounce any external synth!

A lot of the music I write isnā€™t loop based dance music, OB (should be) massively useful for creating polyphonic arrangements, automation curves which arenā€™t possible on the machine and recording multiple tracks via USB.

I use the sequencer too for creating certain types of pattern and for live improv but need the DAW integration to work properly for a lot of what I do.

@sovietpop Glad youā€™ve found a workflow that suits you with Bitwig.

Wellā€¦ Iā€™m not sure the latter is related to the former (Access people are now busy in a bigger market) but anywayā€¦ yes, Access went that way and it was very painful too, with forums filled with bugs and complaints. Eventually things settled down.

I guess your setup consists of a single elektron box and a computer. Iā€™m sure you can get OB to work with that. But the digital audio sync in Ableton falls apart once you have other MIDI gear being sequenced and feeding their audio in to the DAW + other plug-ins running.

I am talking about larger setups that many people have or plan to have.

There is no need to spend a lot of money to use the Elektron gear with the DAW and other gear. Just a multi-channel audio interface that can be found on ebay for ā‚¬100-ā‚¬200. This will allow you to bring other gear in the mix and not get sucked into Elektronā€™s attempt at a closed ecosystem. You donā€™t need a mixer or patchbay or outboard FX.

1 Like

Please donā€™t assume things. I rocked an A4 mk1, RYTM mk1 (with Overbridge), Octatrack , Dominion 1 and a Mother 32 with Midi in Ableton tight in sync for years.

Dunno what you talking about.

For years? Ok, Iā€™m glad it worked out for you but it does not work out for a lot of people whether in Ableton or Logic.

1 Like

The toxicity is starting to grow above acceptable annoyance levels.

2 Likes

I see that hence I only speak for myself and my experience and donā€™t generalize things like you do with your ā€œnobody needs thisā€¦you donā€™t need thatā€ talk.

I buy what I !!! think I need, not what YOU think I need, okay? Is that clear now?

Another thing: Show me one soundcard for 100-200 quid with at least 8 inputs ( which RYTM would eat alone for individual track processing without Overbridge). Iā€™m genuinely interested.

1 Like

Show me a soundcard that could outputs separate track of dt, use outboard/vst effect and route back, im genuinly interested
Or one that can allow me to use my batery laptop along my battery digitakt as an integrated and portable set full of synth and fx where i want, im interested too

There was never any doubt about that :slight_smile:

You can actually get two 8-channel audio interfaces and link them via optical ADAT for 16 channels into the computerā€¦ if you need more than 8.

Focusrite Saffire pro 40
MOTU 828 mk2-mk3
Presonus Firestudio
etc etc etc

these are cheap and good, with several other options readily available.

Guys this hole story is a such nightmare including mk2 release that seams to solve a design bug. Costs are shift to customers so from my side never ever again.

In this forum a lot of useful stuff and tips. But its flooded with influencers so obvious it hurts.

Please stop this, start a serious job and let the real user exchange their real experiences.

Sorry i need to write thisā€¦

2 Likes

Not sure what you mean by ā€œinfluencersā€ā€¦

I couldnā€™t care less with the big boxes but be nice for the Digitakt for getting at the outputs and to back the thing up. Can I just take this opportunity to say more Heart Drive, more Slick Tape. More Autonomicā€¦ More, more, more :smiley:

1 Like

The main reason I want Overbridge to come out is so that I can actually browse this forum without having to scroll past dozens of posts about Overbridge not being out yet.

13 Likes