Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

And thats exactly what i did, when they announced OB delay last year I sold my DT. Doesn’t change the fact that the website and box are misleading AF.
Maybe you knew this is how Elektron operates being a customer of previous units, but the DT was my first Elektron box and I didn’t know they had a history of not delivering on promised features at promised times.

2 Likes

I think Overbridge is their first real offense… I just don’t trust promotional material or what’s written on the box in general, especially when it comes to software for music gear ( synth editors etc). I always assume it will be buggy or not work at all.

I dont know , never been able to get OB working properly on Logic. It just doesnt work very well on my Imac, mostly bad sync and audio glitch. I must say it is working very well on Bitwig and i just wanted something that work so … yeah , i’Ve just changed DAW.

1 Like

It’s not just OB though, the fact DT users still cannot backup their projects is a bit of a piss take imho.
And yes I know project backup is going to be part of OB, but to not even release a simple data dump utility and just leave people hanging is bad.
Now I know not to trust the promises in future and take the products for what they are.
I will be trying to buy secondhand Elektron products in the future to recover some of the $$ i lost from this whole debacle.

i’m a bit late to this conversation, so i may have missed an early comment, but how do you have a copy of OB when it hasn’t been released?

Judging from how this feature behaves with the other machines ( hint: badly) I wouldn’t be too hopeful. There is no simple “project backup” in Ob as it is. Instead there is an ill-conceived “Sync” feature that has wiped out entire projects for several people. It seems to be buggy.

2 Likes

Overbridge has been available for ages - older gear uses the first version

1 Like

+1 on this. To me the great part about elektron hardware is inspiration, ideas, and hopefully some unique sound design you cannot get with vst’s. Ever tried recreating the monomachine sound in a daw? Impossible! When inspiration strikes you want a quick way to multitrack all those ideas, steams, sound design etc. Hopefully this explains why some people are so frustrated over the delays. I can’t wait to see what the new ob looks like personally.

It’s probably more important to work on Overbridge, than to update Elektron’s support pages. But days after announcing an Overbridge delay, without any, even rough time frame for customers, my Analog Rytm Mk II support page for Overbridge still names the February release date.

Perhaps Elektron finds some short time to sync news and support pages? I think after several days it’s overdue.

For the MK1 machines (A4 mk1 and Rytm MK1).
I’ve sold my A4 mk1 for an MK2 so Overbridge is not working right now for my A4 MK2.

They have dug a deep hole for themselves for sure. A great example of what not to do as a music hardware company (get sucked into complex computer software dependency). If they had stuck to a simple backup/ sample transfer app for all the boxes …

6 Likes

I paid 750 for it. There are actually something like ten to sell for 500 on audiofanzine fr. Even here. Lot of shop have them in stock. Dont take is as an attack , but are you serious?? Replies on here continuously amazed me.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Anyone wanna bet $10 a new box comes out before Overbridge? Haha. Just kidding. Anyway they’ve had a mad ride, they’ve finished the flagship makeover and got a pair of mini boxes now, will be interesting to see where they go next. In regards to QC I think they possibly risk being that high ticket brand they are known for and possibly having their products prices tumble. I know in my country th A42 just dropped by $400, not selling for whatever reason? Anyway, as a spectator, it’s fun watching Elektron announce a new product every few months, but the evidence has been there since the Heat that OB comes late and bugs are expected, yeah the products may be out but they ain’t mature. Its a beta world for Instagrammers, try resist the preorder early adopter urge and watch from afar until the dust settles is mho

6 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Brings back memories of the DSi Tetra interface… The only one available now is third party.

That being said, I don’t think Elektron is going to abandon OB anytime soon.

There is a huge economic appeal that no one is acknowledging. They are taking the USB audio card out of the equation. Unless you’re using hardware exclusively, this is a huge benefit in terms of space and money. You save on the cost of cables and an audio card, and you can use a smaller desk.

2 Likes

I really hope that this new driver Elektron is writing will help with these roll out delay woes, and improves performance with multiple Elektrons.
I just updated my Mac Pro to El Capitan (it’s a 2008 so it can’t higher OS than 10.11.6), and since moving my AK’s USB onto a pci-e usb 2.0 card, OB on the AK is working wonderfully with Live 9.

Between the 2 external inputs on my AK plus 2 more on the DN, I could run my OT’s 4 outsinto OB and possibly even ditch my Qu-Pac once Overbridge is updated across these newer devices.
I’d be happy to sell the Qu Pac and buy an Analog Heat for that DAW FIRE. :heat::heat::heat:

4 Likes

I get it for managing samples backing things up etc as far as Digitakt is concerned for OB to record all the tracks etc. I mean it’s just samples you can get that done in your daw Ableton or Logic whatever if that’s all anyone is waiting on u could of saved some cash with a midi controller … hardware bugs like program changing on time would be lovely to have soon

1 Like

That is exactly why I returned the AH when I bought it. It was buggy and the OB integration was atrocious.

1 Like

I’ve started to write tracks in Live because of OB not working at all in Logic and it’s still not stable + I can’t do my commercial work in Live because of it’s poor support for video.
Even a simple arrangement using nothing but the RYTM controlled via Overbridge is full of clicks, pops and weird shifts in pitch when bounced (2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8gb RAM, Sierra).
Had a couple of those weird pitch bends during a live set in January - not great.

I’ve used Logic pretty much everyday for 15 years, I know it well and use it to earn my living.
Spending another €379 and investing the time to learn another DAW doesn’t seem like a very sensible ‘workaround’ to an expensive piece of gear not functioning as advertised.

I really want to love these machines because there’s a lot of things about them that are great but since getting them their main influence has been to disrupt my workflow and frustrate with their bugginess.

Sadly I’ll have to jump ship if Overbridge doesn’t start working as advertised in the near future.

3 Likes