Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

You mean you use the Rytm to actually sample sounds? I would have thought it’s easier to sample in the computer and transfer it… that way you already have a backup.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

No, I mean, I use multiple computers, iOS device and SDS compatible music machines for dumping samples into my rytm. Therefore, I do not have a backup of all of those samples on my HDD, as this would require that I always dump samples from my own laptop :diddly:

Life is too chaotic sometimes, and being 100% organized, ”aint nobody got time for that”. I have similar woes when it comes to managing my iTunes music, but that’s a topic for another thread…

2 Likes

Right on. I got drawn in. Thanks!

2 Likes

@AlexCase

I am talking of users who like me bought an Analog Rtym Mk II not just for live use, but for recording as well. They have trusted the January statement of a matured Overbridge ready in February, and yes, for using their device as planned, they have to RELY on this availability to have a smart workflow.

Your anti-software and anti-USB rants really lead nowhere from my view. And you are disrespecting other workflows than your own with what you say. I would never debate live users workflow, or hardware nerds preferences: that all can well co-exist. But what I don’t tolerate, are ignorant statements claiming to speak of “WE” and what we want and need, from someone who wishes machinedrum times back and to live in the past. You obviously don’t have any clue about what “we” need, and I deny you any right to talk that way.

2 Likes

OK! :rofl: I would never want to disrespect a workflow!

2 Likes

Fair point. But to be really fair, calling people “hardware dinosaurs” isn’t particularly respecting either :wink:

2 Likes

@acidhouseforall
Point taken :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think we can all agree we have different needs and different reasons to be upset by the current situation. Me being one of those dinos :wink: I don’t care about most of what OVB offers… but I have my own frustrations (how do I backup ?). Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

3 Likes

One of the main reason elektron change their minds on charging $ for premium OB,they can’t cover this type fulfillment elektron is too small to 24/7 support

1 Like

With the awful term ”DAWless” being such a buzzword these days, isn’t it more like ”DAW dinosaur”? :troll: ok j/k

3 Likes

I’m one of those who gives a fuck if OB ever comes out. Hello there. It was a major point for me to go the Elektron route.

And it absolutely doesn’t matter if I make a living through Elektron machines or if I just switch them on once a month. I payed a lot of hard earned coins for a machine with a fuckin “Overbridge enabled” sticker on it.

I’m not mad at Elektron, just disappointed.
It once was a young,cool and support worthy company. I’m not sure anymore.

9 Likes

Damn right. See… that’s me jammin’ in the club:

2 Likes

What blows my mind is all the unfound speculations and the reasons made up by users…you my friend like everyone else have been shafted…I was going to buy the digitone but there is no way now. I feel sorry for the people who did… Same happened to me with the mpc5000 and i haven’t and would never buy another akai product ever again.

1 Like

I don’t get the people demanding the OB update and saying that it is essential for their workflow. OB hasn’t been out for long enough and it has been too problematic to become part of a lot of people’s established workflow.

It is really just people starting out with a Digitakt making the noise I suspect. To those I have to say: sorry but you chose to start with a newly released machine that has not had the test of time… Eventually you will learn how to choose your gear more wisely.

For now, the DT should be OK to make music as it is, you don’t really NEED Overbridge. This is not a Native Instruments box. You don’t need a computer. The whole point of Elektron hardware is the hardware sequencer: If you are thinking to automate parameters from a computer you’re going the wrong way. In my opinion, coming from 20 years (on and off) of experience with electronic music making. This is just one person’s opinion and I’m not Aphex Twin. (I don’t really even like most of Aphex Twin’s more recent output!)

1 Like

No they don’t. Usually they are forced to say yes to management to keep their jobs, and management’s job usually is to push products out as fast as possible. The economic climate has made it impossible to do otherwise, and there are laughably minimal (arguable not any) protections for workers, especially if you take any kind of salary (at least in the United States).

1 Like

Yeah- I agree with that point by and by

(I was almost offended by your Aphex Twin remark, but then I saw “recent output” and have to agree with you on that too)

I remember the kerfuffle on the A4mk1’s OB and it was a huge process and waiting game for it- so in actuality, this isn’t that surprising to me.

The thing that bothers me is- how can you announce dates for releases and then be that off on all of them. And it just seems like a smoothing of edges so they can release the DN(not announce, mind you- but actually release(mine should be shipping out tomorrow :D)).

That followed by the aggressive defenders has put me into “go mode” on this particular topic.

1 Like

I know nothing about the US so I won’t argue. But where I live what you describe is rarely seen in IT jobs. There are tons of articles online about why software engineers are bad at estimates and they don’t boil down to too much management pressure.

2 Likes

This is getting to be pathetic.

2 Likes

“chose to start”? what does that mean?

It says it on the box - “Overbridge Ready” or something.

Elektron has been blabbing about overbridge for years now.

2 Likes