Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

WHAT? But then you cannot track the sound of each string separately. What a disaster!

:smiley:

4 Likes

Korg released the sdk for the volca sample as well and development on a proper sample transfer software was left to ā€œthe communityā€. There is still no good solution to manage the volca sample, and korg can pretend itā€™s not a problem as they have given the task to ā€œthe communityā€ by providing the sdk.

In my opinion a large manufacturer like korg having open source projects for things like this is cheating the customers. Itā€™s basically asking paying customers to do the work for them and absolves them of the responsibility of delivering a fully functioning product.

I donā€™t think it would be a good look for elektron at this point to ask paying customers to do the work for free by open sourcing the project, when there is paid elektron staff that should be handling it.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s the one with the heat to fuse a camper? No thanks Arturia, Iā€™ll stick with your Keystep :sunglasses:

1 Like

Damn, if I am unsatisfied with consumer goods itā€™s gone in a blink of an eye. No need to complain into the next millenium: itā€™s a first world little problem or WTĀ£.
:umbrella:ļø

1 Like

ā€¦if you watch the other side they do have to wait till op-z kicks in.

elektron goes video with overbridge or something Unity relatedā€¦or another video engine.

maybe the standalone App comes to IOS aswell and i think weā€˜ll see an overbridge that has nothing to do with the first approach of overbridge.

this time itā€˜s getting tightā€¦and inbetween thereā€™s summer. for sure.

stop complaining. every single word has been said so far,repeated too often.

peace

1 Like

at this point i want to respect the silence

1 Like

Itā€™s actually possible since 20 years or more with hexa pickups and midi converters ! :wink:
It can even track mediator position !

4 Likes

Cant car camp with a 2 year old to look after unfortunately. pretty gutted but some things are more important, Iā€™ll get another octatrack

6 Likes

Understand completely, wish you the bestā€¦

3 Likes

Its a lot easier to distribute and update software. You also donā€™t have to deal with manufacturers stopping production of components, changes to the law like ROHS etc

1 Like

Not to mention when tracking a drum kit, youā€™ve got 6-8 mics, not two. Guitar is a single instrument, not 4 or 8. A keyboard is also a single instrument. Elektron makes multitrack instruments. You canā€™t really compare when youā€™re talking about the necessity of multitracking.

Have you not tried caustic editor?

I have used caustic editor, as well as vosyr.

Nope. 6 or more if you add a hexamic and a midi converter you can have 1 midi channel per string, prog change per zone, CCsā€¦
With 6 drum kits, 6x24 notes = 144 instruments ! :tongue:

2 Likes

9/10 of the requests for new features for DT thread would be very possible with 8 streamed tracksā€¦once OB lands

Creative process is different for everyoneā€¦if your happy with the current functionality of your Elektron device thats greatā€¦but the DT for example is still not a complete mixing solution in its current stateā€¦and needs to be bounced to 8 recorded tracks to eq and create depthā€¦seperationā€¦and pockets for individual instruments in the stereo fieldā€¦

Maybe your guitar example would work well hereā€¦record 8 guitar soundsā€¦make a track with them all playing at the same time and try to not create a in ya face upfront wall of noise with incoherant mud for a bottom end with the limited tool set of the DTā€¦

OB will open up possibilitiesā€¦and is the reason alot of people bought inā€¦even my crappy akai xr20 has 4 outs enabling enough seperation of a kick and bassā€¦DT was designed with OB in mind and now its not released you hit the point continually where OB was supposed to benifit and have to put tools down and rethink or bounce down to a DAWā€¦:zonked:

1 Like

Industrial grade software has to deal with similar stuff. External libraries/components/services/apis may go out of support or/and you need to deal with security updates on a quite regular basis. You also need to comply to all kind of regulations (law) like data protection or safety regulations (example: automotive software) which may vary from country to country.

Easier to distribute and update: again it depends completely on the kind of software. Easy to distribute and update holds only true for standalone software which isnā€™t part of a larger automated system (or which IS the automated system). Ever tried to update the control software of automated warehouses or power plants which consists of a multitude of services?

With a bit of creative production itā€™s possible to create a good sound on DT. Not perfect no, but it doesnā€™t have to be a wall of mud at all. Resampling with high and low pass filters, not using too many samples that take up a lot of space etc.

Saying itā€™s as good as impossible to create a good sound on DT is exaggerating things. Just have to select your samples carefully and use resample to cut away frequency bands to create room.

Having said that, Iā€™m very much waiting eagerly for OB to take it to the next level. A band pass filter would be great as well.

4 Likes

Iā€™m surprised nobody has released a simple python-midi script to sequentially trigger each DT pattern, soloing each track in series and automatically recording each pass to a wav stem.

Set up correctly it could generate an ableton project of stems that plays identically to a chained DT project.

Iā€™d write this myself but Iā€™m too busy reading this forum topic every day :grin:

8 Likes

PM Sent @mokomo

1 Like

I love my walls of noise and I would not want to change these for the average ableton sh*t everybody seems to be producing these days

3 Likes