Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

For NI or on a freelance basis? I imagine this to be a very tough job! Everyone thinks that you just need a traktor console to get an invitation to play on a large festival - frankly that´s what NI´s marketing is telling us. As a result the problems might range from a simple “how to connect” to very serious issues with the audio performance of your OS.

The 29ms latency is with Clarett thunderbolt on 128 buffer and OB as a plug-in.
If you have better figures please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Seriously: Why do you want to backup Samples on an MK1 Unit which cannot even Record or Resample on its own? This doesnt make sense to me!! ^^

1 Like

Nothing is ever under any obligation to make sense to you, but I’m willing to help you out. There are ways of generating extremely unique samples and sending them to the RYTM. One is “Strom”, the other is “SDS Drop.” I trust you can search these out if you are interested. For example, you can drop an image, or a website url into SDS and magic can happen.
Also, certainly you can understand losing samples or not cataloging every sample you have ever loaded into a box (ie the RYTM) and then needing to secure a complete back up right?
Lastly, knowing the capacity of your storage system and being able to “clean up” aspects of it in a efficient manner are essential to my and probably most everyone’s workflow.
If those points don’t give you what you need to “understand” then there is nothing else I can do for you.

My concern here is the lack of a public beta at this point indicates very little progress. I’d expect they would want to get plenty of data from a broad set of configurations for debugging if this was near ready.

2 Likes

I bet part of it is that they’re trying to avoid bricking customers synths. Remember overbridge is computer software AND firmware for an expensive hardware device. Would you still like to beta test if there were some chance you’d have to send your machine in for service or worse, completely kill it because of a bug they haven’t been able to fix or identify yet?

Does that make this forum the Infinity War?

Was there ever a public beta for OB1?

There was, yes.

Yep. And it lasted quite long as far as i remember :wink:

I drop samples from my machinedrum(sampling) into rytm mk1 thru midi all the time and not only that but when you have your machine full of samples that you have collected from all different places there is no way to remember exactly where the original sample is located, not to mention fact that if you want to do full back up of the machine you will need to collect samples…c6 software is just too old for machines like rytm mk1…it was good during machinedrum days but not anymore…it sucks we have to wait for Overbridge Infinity to come out specially if we dont use it to finally have proper sample manager for rytm mk1 :frowning:

Thats its official name now? Awesome! I like it! :blush: :thup:

[edit] just to make things clear: I understand your point, no offence. But i also see why Elektron hasnt implemented it. Good housekeeping of the Sample Library isnt always possible, i know that from my own experience. But your Samples are still somewhere - even if you dont find them just yet. I would therefore see the Backup Option just like this: An Option only. Since you dont create new Samples on the Rytm MK1 directly. This is different to the Rytm MK2 where you do exactly this! And in the worst case: Your Samples are stuck to the Machine if it doesnt allow for Sample Backup. We knew this from the time as the Digitakt did not had a Sample Backup Option. So - for the machines that are capable of creating Samples directly on their own, the Backup is mandatory. For other Machines which just load and play Samples back, the Backup is an Option. Imho. But i know, you guys all have different opinions about that!

3 Likes

For NI full-time. It gets easier the longer you do it, but yea you get pretty much everything ranging from basic how-to questions to deep technical sw/hw troubleshooting of performance or Timecode/Controller issues. But after a while you have seen pretty much everything… :wink:

Macs were always super easy to deal with for the most part in support… This has changed since a few years and Apple shifted its focus clearly on mobile and other more profitable branches. Pro Audio is certainly not so important anymore for :green_apple: which is a real shame.

6 Likes

This is fascinating! I’ve been doing general Avid support for my company for almost six years now - you think you’ve seen everything until the next ticket comes in haha.
How did you land the gig at NI? I’ve always had their careers page bookmarked but since I don’t know anybody there I always considered it a dream rather than something attainable.

1 Like

Ive decided to sell all my elektron gear, at least its easy to sell and goes quick :slight_smile: Listed some today and its already sold!
I thought about it and i really dont think overbridge is going to be stable and great at launch, maybe another year or 2 it will be useable. By then there will be a new line of elektron boxes and the cycle will start again. I’ll move to units that have individual outs and hope that elektron one day bring out a Digitakt Pro with stereo sampling, timestretch, and individual outs… I can dream right :joy::heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Did someone say Access Virus with their Total Integration software.

3 Likes

Pretty much the same thing I’m doing. Just sold my last Elektron box, the Rytm mkI. I think I’ll jump back in if they ever release the “Digitakt Pro”. Would buy one tomorrow if it only had individual outs. No OB for me, I just want to use pedals with it on a table somewhere away from my computer. Let’s keep dreaming I guess.

5 Likes

Already sold my rytm mkii, just listed my a4mkii yesterday. Time to move on from this company if it’s going to refuse to support me. 3 open tickets with no replies.

3 Likes

I doubt that Elektron has designed their machines personally for you, or for you, or for anyone else. They do what they do, following their philosophy. Their products, as are, then either work for you personally, or not.

1 Like

He’s talking about the support team

3 Likes