Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

What time and energy. Literally I post a couple of times as replies to people, then ignore the thread for a week. Still trying to sell my A4MKII, can’t unload it as the market is flooded with used ones at the moment (Wonder why) and I’m keeping my Digitone cause i’m less using it for multitracking and more as a polyphonic fm synth. A4 has been replaced in the studio with a Prophet 6. Modular is still in operation. Life continues on.

Dont bother man.

3 Likes

You’re literally the most frequent poster in both the Overbridge topics, 25 in this one and 110 in the last Overbridge topic, check the first post of each. And your post have been quite lengthy but if that’s not time or effort for you more power to you.

8 Likes

Once this topic has more than 2000 replies we will probably have another “we’re working on it” update and a new topic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can’t wait !

This is what I always thought “pro” meant when talking about audio gear. “The most common nominal level for consumer audio equipment is −10 dBV, and the most common nominal level for professional equipment is +4 dBV”
Although ye canny beat a good bit of tape hiss :sunglasses:

1 Like

If PRO is written, it is not.
246x0w

6 Likes

Fake it till you make it!

1 Like

I wonder why they didn’t update the architecture in OT mk2 so that USB would have access to the audio path? Seems like something they could have done quite easily as they have many other devices with this functionality.

It’s not as simple as you might think… would require more code and in turn a new architecture for the entire device.

There isn’t enough space, the new device would not be compatible with the old one. Software would have to be written again from scratch etc…

4 Likes

Is it Tuesday yet?

2 Likes

Otmkii wasn’t really an update, I’d wager a big reason for mkii devices was parts based, old parts like buttons and encoders running out impacting ability to produce more machines and fix ones under warranty, much like what happened with the silver boxes. Ot only got extra buttons to address features that were already available and a firmware update for conditionals.

That’s my thoughts for usb midi not being added to the ot. Ultimately otmki to otmkii wasn’t a true upgrade.

5 Likes

semantics. call it whatever you want. there are distinct quality tiers associated with tools we use to process audio. with a lot of gray area in-between, admittedly. A sampler with multiple outputs, so that each voice or keygroup can be mixed independently of the other is likely in a different tier than one that doesn’t. Again, call the tiers whatever you want. A full-featured sampler, that can compete with the most complete pieces of gear out there should have a way to process its voices/tracks/keygroups independently. my 2cents.

1 Like

plus 1000

i really don’t “get” OTmk2

1 Like

I think the lines are more blurred than you’re making out.

I imagine there’s an awful lot of ‘pro’ gear sitting in hobbyist’s home studios gathering dust while loads of cheaper bits of equipment (without individual outputs and other ‘serious’ features) are being used by creatives to produce music far more often.

2 Likes

i don’t believe the user makes the gear. sorry. agree to disagree.

a professional driver in a nissan sentra doesn’t allow the nissan to compete with a formula 1 machine.

1 Like

imagine what these creatives could do with better gear!

I like your analogy but For music the analogy isn’t too strong because two different people can pick up the same violin and play it in an entirely different manner. The player often makes the instrument in music.

4 Likes

‘Better’ is subjective though.

If raw power was important in music, everyone would ditch instruments completely and just compose in a DAW.

I see your point, but if you just judge a device by its missing features then you’ll spend forever chasing the perfect bit of gear and not very long actually making music. Sometime it’s good to get a bit of perspective and focus on what a device CAN do rather than what it can’t

3 Likes

they have overaccess with mobile control :face_with_raised_eyebrow: