Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

Would be even nicer to record the multitrack output without a computer. Would this be possible with any kind of recording hardware theoretically?

I donā€™t know. A universal protocol would be great, for sure !

make a octatrack adat mod. iā€™ll back it. come on.

2 Likes

Seems very complicated.
A guy can do a mod for SPDIF out.
1000ā‚¬.

Adat, 4000ā‚¬ ?

1 Like

computers are constantly updated and operating systems move on thatā€™s why software on a synth in the future is never reliable youā€™d have to assume the company will live on 4ever & constantly update the software thatā€™s why Analog wins & is always a smart investment purchase the value holds or possibly increases over time

the dream died :unamused:

Status update: Overbridge infinity is not out and people who bought flagship machine(elektron rytm mk1;that has individual outs) are still waiting for digitaks/digitones problems to be solved and dont have proper sample app,(but digitak users do) itā€™s been 4 years, but 4 years is plenty of time to drop some samples on rytm mk1 using c6 app isnā€™t it? i could not care less for overbridge since my machine(rytm mk1) has individual outs,(Not to mention that sound quality is trash with overbridge, oops) and I donā€™t need to stare at computer screen to edit my sounds,( that is why I got hardware?) But sample management for rytm mk1 is totaly outdated and fact that we could already be using it but we are not because people at elektron only care about new gear and are treating flagship machine buyers like dust is just very upsetting

elektron I love your machines but your approach to software is just not there and itā€™s hurting you badly, if another hardware manufacturer creates machines with good parameter locks your company will go out of business mark my words.

4 Likes

Iā€™m trying my best to stay out of this post lately but this is exactly how I feel about the whole situation.
I saw a post recently about someoneā€™s RYTM failing in someway and they had to factory restore it.
I still have chills thinking about that.

I think the individual outs are a bit overrated. Especially since they send out a dry signal, so without effects. If you want to record them; you will have to use the stereo out outputs anyways. Its not that much work to record the tracks individually now is it?

1 Like

Depends on your workflow. I want everything in my song to be processed by the same verb and delay. Thatā€™s impossible without overbridge, either using the a4mkii as an effects box or getting dry outputs.

No, no more new boxes, I want them to get what theyā€™ve already made working properly. All this speculaiton about what will be next is completely ridiculous.

This is true and a neceesityā€¦
My sound card is a Yamaha N12 firewire desk and it doesnā€™t share that job with any other device i have that has the capability to act as a sound cardā€¦ (no aira, no iconnect, no motu) no ins or outs other than the n12 will showā€¦ the only exception is the access virus ti, as its usb in can provide a direct in thorough the vstā€¦! And NOT asioā€¦This is a must, asio4all will never do for many people.

macOS Mojave (10.14) comingā€¦ :confused:
10.13.5 is available but thatā€™s not the last a 10.13.6 is available for developers

No doubt itā€™s a pain all that operating system change every year for developerā€¦ OB includedā€¦

OS get updated all the time, its best for end user, no-one is completely re-doing low level subsystems every release to the point all drivers need to be re-written, otherwise nothing would work.

Otherwise weā€™d all be using windows 95 or solaris. Iā€™m unfussed about overbridge tbqh, but blaming its delay on mac os updates, is a bit rich I think, literally every other piece of audio hardware seems to support OSX ok.

3 Likes

I realize there are threads for speculation about new boxes, new features, and wish-lists. I should have kept any comments pertaining to these things relegated to those threads. Apologies. Was just talking about gear, etc. Sure didnā€™t mean to upset anyone.

Iā€™m not a programming guy (c++, cocoaā€¦) but from my user perspectiveā€¦ who bought a certain amount of gears and controllers over the years thereā€™s plenty of great gear/app abandoned probably because connectivity port upgrade and system security changeā€¦ (like Sandboxing, SIPā€¦) USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt, USB-Cā€¦ to name a fewā€¦

Things evolve so quickly itā€™s difficult to be as fast as Apple even with the developer program and beta posted regularly. I canā€™t count how many gears I really like ending their support from OS to OSā€¦ NI Kore 2, Focusrite Liquid Mix, SSL duende, TC electronic Powercoreā€¦ to name a few and donā€™t list sound card because the listing will be hugeā€¦

Of course it can be only product lifecycle. But I donā€™t think soā€¦
Dropping literaly 32bits app from 10.14 is something to consider of course they need to push for the things to modernizeā€¦ But I donā€™t see serious brand website dropping browser version support on new technologies without writing fallbacks (https://modernizr.com, vendor prefixes, IE conditional statementā€¦) to support the most version and ecosystem they canā€¦ and they right on that. otherwise itā€™s less customers to spend money for these companies.

So Iā€™m not an expert, but i do know frontend development (practically very good knowledge in full stack i would say) and it doesnā€™t seem to me like something minor who donā€™t have an impact on product development strategies.

And its not only Apple, Windows tooā€¦ Microsoft calm down a bit but few years ago they both guilty at new operating system war every 1/2 yearsā€¦

Maybe itā€™s not something who weighs in the balance of the Overbridge development ā€¦ Maybe ā€¦ (maybe itā€™s more how many products overbridge must support now, speed, stability and new enahancements or all the above and after)

3 Likes

Sorry if that came across as aggressive, I was just trying to make the point that they should fix the things they have before releasing more half finished products. Definitely not upset, speculate away :slight_smile:

You arenā€™t the first to say this and I hear things like this a lot, so donā€™t please feel like Iā€™m jumping on you specifically, but I donā€™t understand the tendency among some users to ignore the possibility/legitimacy of workflows different from their own. There are all sorts of different workflows and situations. There is a long history of hardware with individual outs. Itā€™s there for a reason, of course.

For instance, a lot of people use these machines live or jam on all-hardware setups. You could have individual outs for stabs, bass, snare, melody, etc. each requiring different processing, and each could go to a different fx chain using pedals, rack gear, mixer sends, etc. Sounds pretty damn fun to me, especially after staring at a computer screen all day at work.

4 Likes

Yeah, I would take analog outs over OB any day. I donā€™t use a computer for music, no DAW, no software mastering. I use hardware because I love hardware & want to stay away from the computer.

I have a big mixer with guitar pedals & other effects processors, so I love individual outs. If I want to use effects inside of the machine & the internal effects canā€™t go thru individual outs I send those thru the master outs or resample with effects (talking about gear in general).

I also donā€™t care about sample management either. I sample into the machine. Use the sample. Delete it if I donā€™t want it.

I know Iā€™m old school thoughā€¦ I get why people love software. Itā€™s just not my thing.

6 Likes

3 Likes