Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

As someone who started recording on a tascam it’s hard for me to understand limitations other than backing things up… the Elektron my friend introduced me to many years ago was a hardware company… live play compact rad machines (still doing that job dam well)
Overbridge seemed odd to me when it first came around I opened it a couple times but tbh never used it so I guess I don’t get how it’s a deal breaker?
Who has great Daw software for hardware synths? Every single one I’ve used sucks butt so we will get overbridge before the police are called i’m sure & then complain some more because all Daw software for synths suck & then it will be like should of went with a few extra outs & a sample manager geesus lmao

2 Likes

‘Overbridge is free’ - but Overbridge is a separate product. The product in the box is what you’ve paid for. The sticker needs to be taken in the context of all the information about the advertised features, including stuff about OS 1.10 etc. Someone’s assumptions or misunderstanding around a claim doesn’t make that claim a lie.

Not sure what you mean about OS1.10.

I didn’t claim it was a lie. I claimed it was a lie by omission. Those are different things.

This is clearly wrong logic, that only means they are trying to fool the customers. Maybe let’s write OS2.3 next time, which might never even see the light of the day. One thing is clear here, it’s an extremely disrespectful practice of promising things on the box which are not even ready to have an ETA, noone is saying they did it on purpose but they haven’t even tried to fix this with the community.

I have asked again and again: When can we expect an actual status update for OB? It will be soon a month after this announcement and we still haven’t heard anything more.

3 Likes

And I’m saying I don’t think it was a lie by omission either, because you can’t really just take the sticker in isolation. Elektron said in various places that Overbridge was forthcoming, and would only work with DT’s running OS 1.10. It’s not a lie by omission when the sticker is viewed in the context of all the other publicly available information.

Good thing your not a Digitakt Customer that was promised this in 2017.

1 Like

I mean… which is it? Are they trying to fool the customers or are they not doing it on purpose?

The implication of this is that they just shouldn’t have told anyone about Overbridge until it was finished (which is not a wholly unreasonable point of view). But assuming good faith on Elektron’s part, why shouldn’t they flag up their forthcoming software solution to one of the key potential shortcomings of the D-series boxes - i.e. single stereo output?

I’ve never even heard of that. How can they know that Overbridge will work with 1.10 when they can’t make it work period.

Look, I don’t care about the semantics and the splitting of hairs. I’m happy you’re so happy with Elektron. Good for you.

I’m trying to be reasonable. I’m not calling for anyone to sue anyone, or trying to be hyperbolic. I’m just saying it’s been over a year since the Digitakt was introduced and I still can’t back my stuff up. Is that too much to ask for?

2 Likes

Ask Elektron for answer.

It’s stated in the manual. I guess what it means is that when they have a working OS and OB they will designate it 1.10 - any prior OS updates for bugs and such will be 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 1.0999999999999999… etc. They know it will work because they won’t release an OS called 1.10 until it works.

This is presumably also for the benefit of anyone who maybe buys a DT running an earlier OS but after OB comes out it might help them understand why it’s not working for them.

So - as I’ve said a few times - whether it’s fair, whether it’s good or bad practice, whether I’m personally happy or not (spoiler warning: I’m not), whether it’s reasonable to offer a backup solution as an interim measure (eminently reasonable imho)… none of this is what I’m posting about.

All I’m disputing is whether there has been false advertising as some other forum users have claimed. And to establish this I’m asking what people feel Elektron have lied about.

2 Likes

Ok. I don’t really care if it’s false advertising or not. I just want Elektron to get off their ass and do something.

1 Like

Will be difficult for them to concentrate on software development when all the keyboard warriors further up this thread launch their class action lawsuit. :wink:

Go in peace. :peace_symbol:

3 Likes

Based on my own experience in the software industry I doubt it’s a matter of someone not getting off their ass. I’m pretty sure it’s rather ugly to be part of that dev team at the moment.

8 Likes

That’s a nice effort of semantic hair splitting. :slight_smile:

But of course it completely fails. What was (and still is!) advertised by Elektron reads like this:

Overbridge for Analog Rytm MKII
"Overbridge for Analog Rytm MKII will be free of charge, and become available in February 2018. Read more on Elektronauts.

With Overbridge and Analog Rytm MKII, you essentially get a real analog drum machine inside your computer. The unmatched sound of real analog drums being controlled from a plugin interface offers ultimate convenience and flexibility.

Fully integrate Analog Rytm MKII with Daw environments
Control Analog Rytm MKII with a dedicated VST/AU plugin. (stand-along operation available)
Use Analog Rytm MKII as a 2 in/2 out sound card (CoreAudio/ASIO/WDM)
Stream all eight internal analog voices, external inputs, and main bus to separate DAW tracks (24 bit/48 kHz)
_ Route DAW audio to the analog compressor of the Analog Rytm MKII"

Bottom line: I was (and still am) promised a fully computer integrated machine by the end of February 2018, if I buy the machine in January.
ZERO room for efforts of semantic hair splitting from my view.

3 Likes

I don’t think the Digitakt or Digitone would of sold quite as well as they did if they didn’t have the OB advertising all over the boxes. A salesman I was talking to recently didn’t even realise OB wasn’t available and he’s selling them!
Maybe the marketing department pushed for it to be labelled as such to get good sales from launch, prob with the devs pleading for it not to be so.
Whatever happened it’s very misleading, Elektron did it, its their fup.
The two boxes I own will probably be my last Elektrons after this mess. If I do buy more in the future, no way in hell im putting money down before the first few OS updates.
Funny though… I was thinking of buying a few of the big boxes, thought I’d dip my toes in the Elektron water with the DT, and now I’ve been completely put off by their practices.
Isn’t the DT meant to be a “my first Elektron” device? To entice you into the more expensive machines?
Imagine all the people who won’t go near Elektron again after this. People bitching about their Elektron DT/OB experience at the local music store I visited recently, the guy I bought my second hand DT off was annoyed about the whole fiasco.
I sold my first DT because I was pissed about not being able to backup.
Way to capture the market :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

The important part of what you’ve quoted is ‘with Overbridge’. Overbridge is a separate product. You need both to get the advertised features. If they’d retained the original plan to charge for it, the distinction would be much more clear cut. As borne out by the many people saying they don’t care about OB, and who said at the time they weren’t planning to purchase it.

So it’s not hair splitting, it’s just accuracy. You are promised a fully computer integrated machine when you have both products.

You’re quite right that they should amend the ‘February 2018’ thing though. But that specific detail feels more like an oversight than a ‘lie’.

And again, I agree the delay sucks, lessons should be learned etc.

2 Likes

The whole Overbridge situation has made me hold off from buying a Digitone, not because I want to stream tracks over USB or whatever but because I want to see how the firmware updates roll out on DN and other machines, back up of work is very important for me so once all of the machines have a solid working backup and stable firmwares then I’m happy to buy, but I won’t buy promises anymore - not just from Elektron but from any manufacturer.

Beta testing and early adoption is fine when you are aware of what you are getting into, but not so when you are unaware of omissions IMHO.

Edit - I should clarify I don’t mean that I was unaware that Overbridge was not yet ready, I mean that I was unaware that I would not be able to back up samples.

3 Likes

RE the OB availability date on the website:

An oversight that would take 15min to amend and has been pointed out to them many times in threads and I bet support tickets too. In fact I might just go send them one now asking why they haven’t removed that :pensive:

Maybe because it’s in their better interest to continue advertising it for newbie customers who don’t know and have no reason to doubt the validity of a claimed feature on the official website.

Elektron = Akai 2.0 :joy:

1 Like

Is the DN missing backup too? Surely it’s just a sysex dump?
They wouldn’t release another machine unable to backup… would they? :dizzy_face:

I don’t know if it is possible or not on the Digitone, and that is also from my perspective a bit strange - what I mean is that you could take it as obvious to be possible in the past on earlier Elektron machines.

Edit - it appears from the Digitone manual that sysex back up is possible, but not sure what can be backed up or if it works. Would be good to hear from a DN user to confirm if possible.