Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

The only problem I had with OB when I got my AR around mid-late 2016 was that the latency on my other hardware through my soundcard was so high in comparison that I had to adjust the channel delays in my DAW to compensate.

I have an early 2011 Macbook pro, but I can’t recall my OS when I initially got the AR. I had a hard drive failure and let it sit for awhile but once I fixed it and updated to High Sierra things were not the same.

It would sync perfectly to all of my VSTs with high bandwidth and I can’t remember any of the artifacts I hear now. I strongly suspect that USB3/Thunderbolt driver updates are what killed it.

Hey, they are just trolling you at this point. They get what you mean, they understand.
But there is an “in group” that adore elektron and they will just dilute this conversation by pretending to not understand and talk on random tangents.

They are not new to it, they have OB released for other hardware which works. They have experiance so that point doesn’t really sit well.

I do have ableton & push 2 which I love making music on, the digitakt was a new addition last October & I didn’t realise I’d be waiting over 7-8 months (and longer) for features promised. I bought the digitakt to enhance my music not to have to sit there recording each channel separately for 5 or 6 patterns a time. It’s not efficient no matter how you look at it.

I love my box but it needs to up it’s game!

Fanboys conspiracy? :smile:

This conversation is supposed to be about a status update in February, no ?

What else to say ?
Once again I totally understand pissed off people needing / wanting Overbridge.

It’s not perfect, and they said they want to lower latency, (and increase track number?). I hope it will be less than 5ms…

I’ve pretty much stayed out of this debate as I don’t exactly have a need for OB. It’d be nice for sure but I’m good without it. I would love the promised transfer appand DualVCO for my AR though.

Operative word being subjective I. I don’t pretend to understand those people’s frustrations who bought it with OB being a key decision maker. In the begining I might have questioned why people didn’t look into OB status more thoroughly if it was one of the key deciding factors- that it was never really stable - but Elektron did give deadlines, so I can understand too the faith that was put in them and how utterly frustrating and disappointing it must be.

And I think the company feels the same if not more these things. It must be tough for them knowing they let their customers down so badly. It’s not an attempt to assuage your negative feelings towards, just something maybe to consider.

BUT In attempt to assuage your concerns, let me just say that Elektron has a more or less unblemished record of delivering on promises, and beyond. I can’t think of any promises they haven’t eventually fulfilled, and most of them came with (amazing) bonuses. (But anyone correct me if Im wrong).

So, keeping that in mind, consider the possibility that the coming OB is as rock solid as say RME products. It would be absolutely glorious and, imo, worth the wait. As in comparison, OB1 was a buggy mess.

And I personally think it had better damn well be. Otherwise the company is in serious trouble. Massive loss of faith in their base. Even the smallest bugs will be pounced on (and rightly so imo) And I think they know it.

I am not trying to tell anyone how to feel. I am only highlighting these things so that they might help in easing some nerves.

4 Likes

I agree with the rest of your post, but not this.

If OB gets canned (which seems unlikely but possible) all my elektrons still work.
Perhaps they will start to work even better if development resources refocus on enhancing the hardware only.

elektron’s problem is they marketed OB too well. People who didn’t ‘need’ it before it was announced and promoted, suddenly ‘realised’ it was critical for them.

Still, if it gets canned, I will miss some of what it promised, but I’ll still get a lot of use out of the hardware as is and I’d expect alternative firmware then to be developed to address the shortcomings of a non-OB world.

2 Likes

You might be right. But imo and pure speculation Elektron is trying to position itself to new customers and OB is critical in this. Not saying they would go bankrupt, only that what I see as their future game plan would have to be discarded. And that would spell trouble.

And anyway I personally, who doesn’t use OB, am still reluctant to buy any Elektron products in the future until this whole ordeal is sussed, mainly to see if remaining faithful to them is a wise decision. I barely consider DSI products due to the Tempest debacle for example.

Maybe they should have a kickstarter

OB1 was too weak.

9 Likes

Really? That’s crazy. I would have thought you’d have to do some crazy mod for separate outs, how does it separate the strings from one output? Don’t the channels bleed into each other?

It uses the GK pickup, which sends each string separately, it’s physically divided. It also means the pedal can change tunings on the fly, ans allows for guitar modelling including acoustic/banjo simulation, the usual synth stuff, and also polyphonic distortion which is super majestic! It’s an amazing pedal.

2 Likes

I previously decided not to buy Digitone until OB for Digitakt is released… I have now decided not to buy Digitone at all.

1 Like

I previously decided not to buy Digitone until OB for Digitakt is released… I have now bought a Digitone.

Oops.

9 Likes

Same. But now I’ve sold my AR MKII and will be selling my A4MKII shortly. Enough of these used models flood the market and they will lose money in new sales.

1 Like

If unhzppy overbridge. People could just stop buying elektron…

1 Like

This sucks

1 Like

if only Elektron would stop selling overbridge for Elektron DT.

I agree. It sucks.

I saw your setup in the other thread. I love the layout. I assume your workflow is predominantly software. How are you using your A4 MKii right now, Midi from Ableton and audio into the Focusrite, or something similar? I feel like there could be a way to get most of the way to homebrew OB with your setup.

I only ask because recently I’ve found myself dreading setting up an Ableton project with all of the individuals channels from my Elektron gear. I’ve grown quite comfortable mixing nearly everything in the actual hardware and the idea of using my mouse to move faders doesn’t sound appealing. It’s a little different since you have Push though. My laptop has just been a recording device and an oscilloscope for a few months now.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the appeal of VSTs on individuals tracks and waiting for OB sucks, but I’d like to think the Elektron community could help you optimize what you have while you wait for OB (or to sample before you sell).

I’m doing the same thing i did last year when i sold my a4 and ar mki and buying more euro. Think I would have learned my lesson…

Store DJ Australia has removed all the “W/Overbridge” from the description of ALL Elektron products on thier website…

I think that is a good move…

6 Likes