Starting to feel pain in my index finger by using Elektron push Encoders

The title says it all, anyone’s feeling the same?

1 Like

Really?
How hard are you pushing?

Come to think of it, I hardly ever push the encoders :thinking:

3 Likes

I think it’s the repetition of the movement for 20 years that is getting me. And my age. I’ve started noticing this last week but didn’t know what it was until I took a break. When I came back to my Elektron devices, it was clear that was it.

Not exactly, but I’ve had various tendonitis / RSI issues from operating different machines. I can only offer the obvious solutions… Take breaks + Switch hands / fingers periodically

4 Likes

That’s what I’m doing since the apparition of those symptoms.

I’ve mashed my RYTM perf pads out of commission, but not encoders

1 Like

Easy to manage then.
Look up finger RSI, carpal tunnel, etc. Theres easy stretches and dynamic movements you can do to help stop irritation of the nerves and tendons that cause such things.

Good luck.

2 Likes

This is a word of caution. Ive suffered with chronic carpal tunnel syndrome for 20 years. If you dont stop but keep pushing through it it will become chronic. It doesnt go away either. You have to moderate your presses. And on a bad day i cant use a mouse at all. Just a word of caution.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t say easy to manage. It can conceivably be managed. Light stretches worked to fix a lot of my hand pain, but there are still some motions that will almost immediately start hurting if I do them. Maybe I didn’t do it right, but that I failed despite trying supports it not being easy.

In @Tchu’s place I would do the same stretches, but also plan to not have to push encoders anymore, ever, and just hope that this planning is unnecessary. Get a new midi controller, change workflows, etc.

1 Like

I get issues using a mouse at the moment, angle of the wrist seems to play a big part. Have you got the Elektrons flat on the desk, or at angle? And height can effect me, so if I’m too low or too hight to the desk - effecting the angle of my wrist.

Good luck! Sucks getting issues from such a seemingly light and easy going movement.

4 Likes

@Tchu

I should probably qualify my earlier comment.
I’m a remedial/orthopedic massage therapist. I work in a physiotherapy clinic. Stuff like this is literally my job.

Find yourself a good physio or remedial therapist and get some advise. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

A vertical mouse and a cheap mousepad with gel wrist support has been a game changer for me

3 Likes

Was also gonna suggest this. I work on a computer all day. It’s not an exaggeration to say that a vertical mouse (appropriately sized for my hand!) changed my life.

3 Likes

Thank you @Microtribe for those advices.

1 Like

Thanks @LaughingAnimal @m0ld - just started looking into these! Much appreciated.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear this and I think you need to change up your routine, maybe look for alternate devices that can send appropriate CCs. Also consider all the ergonomics of your situation, hand and arm angles, reach, shoulders, head and neck position, height of table and chair, and so on. It’s amazing how interconnected things are. Recently I had tension in the vicinity of my shoulder blade manifest itself in my little finger. A qualified therapist is a very good idea but they don’t see you at your instruments. You have to do a lot of the amelioration yourself.

1 Like

Might be worth getting x-rays, depending on your age…

I thought for sure I was getting tendonitis flare ups but went to doctor and it turned out to be arthritis… sad diagnosis to get but that’s aging…

3 Likes

I push them when I’m removing trig-locked parameters. More than a dozen or so of those in a row, and yes, it doesn’t feel so good.

I can imagine that holding while turning (to adjust parameters by coarse values) has to be pretty rough on the tendons. I don’t really use that functionality.

2 Likes

I would sometimes get that finger pain with gear that had hard clicky buttons. It’s not bad here and there, but during long sessions, it adds up. There is a nonzero part of any gear buying decision that is based on what sort of buttons it has. Take care of yourself!

1 Like

Hello I’m asking if you work more than 5-8 hours with a computer mouse?? It could be a killer combo for the hand

Maybe it’s too much tension involved

If it’s the case try a tablet for your work or a Wacom

2 Likes