Starting a modular

Pas de problème. Bonne chance!

1 Like

I’m back thinking about digging into modular again (for the first time).

For a while I was thinking of getting a Digitone Keys. The recent Beads drop made me remember the way MI stuff sort of lingers in the distance, though, beckoning.

But I do get a bit lost with all the options and choice with modular. And the cost.

Now I’m thinking a Mother 32 and Sub h. Or maybe a dfam. Probably will end up with all 3 but 2 would be a nice starting point to get that interplay between a few voices.

I think I can sort of get a best of both world with a couple of the Moogs. ie a dreamy approach to synthesis, all the while getting me started with patching a little more and getting comfortable with it.

I’ve never really gone down the Moog path before so would be a jump. And can pick each up second hand easy enough. Prices are pretty good for a complete synth.

those moogs are a great starting point for sure. DFAM and SH are more innovative and unique, the mother might cover the most utilities and patchbay options for a eurorack expansion
Gorgeous sound on top

2 Likes

That’s no joke. I just sold mine at a great price for the buyer for what it is.

I would definitively recommend a M32 first as its the most universal of the 3; DFAM and SUB H are more idiomatic.

2 Likes

One thing I find good with semi-modular synths is how they can offer functionalities that could cost a lot as separate modules.
In this regard, 0-Coast is very relevant.

2 Likes