Start Digitakt in sync after loading a project

Hi,

I got a big problem, that nobody seems to have an answer to it:

I have an ableton live session going that sends midi clock to the digitakt. Ableton is the master. Digitakt is not the only device that is connected as a midi slave in this setup. During the running session I want to mute digitakt, load a new project and then start digitakt in sync again to the running session. How can I archive that?

What does not work:

• push the start button on the digitakt again, because this is not tight in sync
  • sending the start MMC Transport message from ableton again triggered by another midi in signal (seems that the start signal is not send during a running live session)

Does anybody has an answer to this?

Welcome to the forum!

That’s not directly achievable because MIDI clock messages only provide information about tempo, not about the start of a pattern or a measure.

Most people in your situation would move all the patterns that they need for one performance into a single project on the Digitakt.

1 Like

but is it possible to move patterns of different projects to a single project in the digitakt?

Yes.

You could also store your patterns on a computer and then load them from the computer into a different project.

You could use the retrokits rk002 and write a custom code that adds a Start message in sync to your MIDI clock signal. I‘m currently not at home, so I can‘t test the behaviour of the DT when it receives multiple start messages while running.
There might be something like a Continue message also…

I did not know about the rk002, but good hint…

The midiclck app on midigal can do this, but the product is around $150 assembled. It will sample your midi clock source and keep it going internally, then resync the piece of hardware downstream and start it in sync with the original clock.

" Hold mode

Starting with firmware version 0.95 MidiClk supports Hold Mode which is inspired by Mutable Instruments MIDIpal Sync Latch mode, which, in turn, was inspired by the Mungo Sync. This mode allows the slave device to be temporarily stopped and re-started in sync with the master device playing a loop. In this mode the Start and Stop actions caused by pressing MidiClk switch are essentially quantized at the selected measure.

Step Length and Step Number pages specify duration and number of steps for the Hold Mode measure. For example, selecting a quarter note (1/4) and 4 will stop and restart slave device at the next bar measure.

Hold Mode page allows you to select if only Start or both Start and Stop actions will be quantized."

If this is more than you want to pay to achieve the functionality you desire, everyone else made reasonable suggestions you could also try - this is just a shortcut to doing it. If you can solder and only buy the raw components, the cost will be about 1/3rd of the assembled price.

Too complicated… just sink Ableton or another synth you use in deep reverb / delay, press stop in master seq, wait for a few bars while listening to delay tail and start master seq again. Always works ok.

E-RM Multiclock would let you do ths. Expensive solution but it solves more than one problem with sync’ing hybrid setups. They just closed up shop in December so if you find one, I’d snatch it up quickly.

I’ll never sell mine.