Standalone Audio Interface + Octatrack

Got it

Can you control the output volume?

Which RME?

I do it with Metric Halo ULn2 but it works more like a standalone preamp than of mixer

Which i think it is the same logic of Rme

I use an older Fireface UFX. It does not need a computer to run. The mixer and output volume are all controllable from the front panel. I donā€™t know if all RMEs work stand-alone, but I know mine does. Itā€™s one of the reasons I bought it. :wink:

Cool- i think it works the same way as the metric halo.

Not sure, have not been using this setup for a while but itā€™s still operational and ready to go. Prefer a hardware mixer and record stereo out to cassette or zoom recorder. I donā€™t publish so nothing to stress about :panda:

Yes sure, mixer is always a better choice as you have more control on the volume of each instrument and do a lot of cool things with Mixer and sound card
This is why a suggested a mixer as the best option

Dont use a mixing desk any more. Ive moved onto using a dj mixer. Im using a xone96 right now. I really like it.

I used to use a mackie mixing deskā€¦1604. It was good back in the day ;). Not sure what their new ones are lie. Id imagine pretty good.

DJ Mixer and mixing desk are totally different.

I would not us a DJ mixer for production, I would use it for live performance/ improvisation.

I think SSL Six mix is perfect for using 2-3 Elektrons, 2 synths and output the mix to a sound card for recording.

The xone96 is very expensive, for that money I would buy an SSL SIX mix.

2 Likes

Yeh manā€¦thats what i use mine for.

Xone 96 has usb/soundcard for recording into DAW as well so suits my style these days.

2 Likes

Great stuff!:grinning:

This sounds good. Can the SSL be plugged into a DAW?

How is the Xone 96 in terms of portability? Does it have a mixer and interface combination?
From what I have understood, this is good for a live setup. Would you recommend this for a home studio production setup?

Itā€˜s kind of hard to give you competent recommendations without specifying your wants and needs a little more.

You state youā€™d like an interface for your Octatrack + DT + DNā€¦ all three run stereo, so that would mean 6 line ins minimum assuming you donā€™t run anything in series (eg DT into DN, DN into Octatrack, Octatrack into interfaceā€¦in which case youā€™d need min 2 line ins on the interface).

Then you say youā€™d like to add couple more synths, guitar(s) and mics. So assuming one each and all in mono, youā€™d have to add another two line ins + 1 preamp minimum which brings us to an input count of 9 inputs on the interface.

Then you say the interface should work without a computer (most do) but should also work with major DAWs (most do, this is more relevant for mixers - because most donā€™t).

I take it from your posts that you are looking to use the interface & instruments in a home studio setup? Would you want all your devices to be connected and ready to go at all times or would you use some devices most of the time and just want the possibility to connect eg mics or guitars if need be? Also, how many guitars and mics are we talking and regarding the latter, what for? Also, is it important to track each instrument separately (i.e. each signal gets its own track in your DAW) or would it suffice if you only recorded the stereo mix of all your gear in action.

And whatā€™s your need in regard to / your intention with the interface working in standalone?

How important is sound quality to you? (i.e. do you just want to get everything to track into your computer or do you need super high quality preamps and ADDA conversion?)

Do you need/want on-board effects?

If you could provide some more detail, I think we could offer suggestions in a more focused manner.

Th SSL mix has analog inputs and outputs (12 summing analog channels)

You can route the analog mix post bus compressor into a sound card and have the sound card going back into the mixer.

it is a little swiss army

Check it out here https://solidstatelogic.com/six

1 Like

Not all the sound card work standalone.

I would say few models.

1 Like

It all depends on your needs. For me its the perfect way of bringing my stuff together.
Mostly used for live playing. I have my 4 hardware units master stereo channels fed into 4 of the stereo inputs on mixer. The other 2 channels stream audio over USB from traktor. I use both the send and returns and also have a master fx unit into its master insert.

If you want individual sounds on their own mono channels like a traditional mixing desk this is not for you.

If your happy with stereo channels for your master outputs from drum machines etc then it can work very well with ableton etc. You can send or receive 6 stereo channels over the USB to a DAW etc.

Easy to record a stereo channel on ableton which I sometimes do

But as I said if you want individual inputs for kick etc a mixing desk is the way to go.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the price of the Xone96?

About 1400 in the UK.

Iā€™m looking for a standalone audio interface with 6 to 8 I/Os, where I can plug my Elektron devices, synths, guitars and mics, if need be. I should be able to use it without being dependent on a computer.

From this thread, I was recommended to go for an audio mixer instead, as it would suit my needs better. If I do come across one with an inbuilt sound card, that will work fine. And yes, sound quality is paramount.

I will be using it in my home studio setup but I should also be able to use it in a live setup, in case I want to. DAW compatibility should also be available, where I can either track each instrument separately or record a stereo mix of all my gear in action. On-board effects will be a plus.

Just to reconfirm, the Xone 96 has an inbuilt sound card? Is this better than Xone 92?

Budget is also a factor we might overlookā€¦ :panda:

After reading that, I would opt for a digital mixer with integrated recording.

Presonus StudioLive, A&H qu seriesā€¦ or an offer from the Behringer X Range.

Have been looking around into doing that myself, just do not have enough music time at the moment to justify the cost, maybe further down the road(s).

1 Like