Squarp Pyramid [compilation topic]

So mine arrived surprisingly early today and I can confirm that it IS the new design with the larger, hard corner, recessed track pad.

6 Likes

I seem to be having issues with Midi Echo with my Pyramid? I have no idea whatā€™s causing this! My unit will just freeze up and its functionality becomes very limited.

The issue is resolved when i turn Anti-Echo on, but then my controller doesnā€™t send any data to my synths directlyā€“which is kinda a bummer.

Set up is:

MIDI In-
Korg MicroKey > Kenton USB Host > Pyramid

Midi Out 1-
Pyramid > MDUW > Blofeld

Midi Out 2-
Pyramid > A4 > OT > KP3+

Iā€™m not entirely certain the issue IS with Echo, there seems to be a reappearing of the issue when Anti-Echo is turned on. But I havenā€™t been able to properly test it as of yet, due to my not being able to expect it.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Iā€™ve resumed my email communication with a rep of Squarp. But obviously the sooner a solution is attained the better.

Thereā€™s a bug with Anti-Echo in the current OS, but it has been fixed with the 2.0 update that is due any day now.

2 Likes

Damn! Then I suppose the issue Iā€™m having is NOT Midi echo! I have nothing but a midi keyboard going into my Pyramid! What the heck is going on? Is it just a bug? I was able to jam on my Blofeld from my nanokey studio but when it came time to mess with the Pyramid it was mostly unresponsive!

PyraOS 2.0 is up as of today. have yet to install it though

5 Likes

Great timing, I just ordered a new one a few days back :slight_smile:

I sold my Pyramid a few months back and ended up getting a Carbon due to the extra CV outs, big mistake - so I returned the Carbon (way too many issues, too limited and development of new features has stopped!)

Looking forward to the new Pyramid arriving!

4 Likes

I just got mine recently and have been waiting for PyraOS 2.0 before really diving in! I have a total newb question ā€¦ can I sequence all 16 tracks from the Machinedrum UW+ II on separate tracks in the Pyramid? Sam question re: 12 tracks on Rytm.

Yes you can.

2 Likes

I canā€™t get the MD to receive transport for some reason. it does respond to incoming midi notes though. I went through the pyramids MIDI out options and everything seems set properly - anything obvious coming to mind why the MD wouldnt respond to transport messages from the pyramid?

Sorry if you did it, but have you properly set the MD to be slaved ?

2 Likes

Thanks - Iā€™ll check again but should be fine as I just unplugged the OT which was its master prior. Cheers

My best buy.even better now with patterns

1 Like

Happy to see your back with Pyramid !
Itā€™s a nice piece of gear.

:thumbsup: Got my shipping notice today, looking forward to all the new features :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I donā€™t like the Pyramid for what I needed a sequencer to do. I like long, song-length sequences that I can arrange ahead of time (basically a DAW but for MIDI only, and in a dedicated box instead of a distraction machine with a mouse and keyboard). The Pyramid has an awesome interface and great capabilities for live performance, but it lacks some basic features I need for linear compositionā€¦ namely, it doesnā€™t display which freaking bar of the sequence Iā€™m on unless I go into a sub-window, and even then sometimes I have to toggle back and forth to see it.

Also, the Pyramid does not want all its tracks to be equivalent. In a DAW-like environment, all of the tracks can be followed simultaneously by the cursor position, and I can jump from track to track while staying in the same place relative to the whole song. In the Pyramid, you have to specify for each track, one at a time, how many bars the sequence will be. It assumes that you want polyrhythms, wheels within wheels. When I switch from one track to the next, it takes me simply to wherever I left off the last time I was at that track, which may be completely elsewhere in the sequenceā€“and again, I have no way of immediately seeing this because the bar number is not displayed. Iā€™ve made many erroneous edits because of this!

Iā€™m still at an impasse for the right non-DAW sequencer for my weird requirements: basically, I want a sequencer to do what a live performer with several extra arms and MIDI controllers would be able to do with my Octatrack as it is playing. I donā€™t have enough limbs to adjust parameters on multiple tracks simultaneously, going in different directions, while muting and unmuting ā€œAMP VOLā€ exactly in time with pattern changes so I donā€™t cut off reverb and delay trails, and fading tracks in and out for smoother transitions. Iā€™ve tried doing this with an MPC, but I didnā€™t care for the interface. Pyramid, same problem. My next gamble is a blast from my own past I just snagged on eBay yesterday, the first MIDI sequencer I ever owned, the venerable Yamaha QY-70. Hopefully the third timeā€™s a charm.

Iā€™ll be putting my Pyramid up for sale in the gear forum shortly if anyone is interested!

5 Likes

OMG Iā€™m in love with my Pyramid after tonight. I slaved Live to the Pyramid and fired up Native Instruments Absynth 5. In the performance section of Absynth it has many parameters laid out with their associated CC numbers. On the Pyramid use multiple LFOs in the effects section and map to the the CCsā€¦wow you can get some really nice movement to the sound.

4 Likes

Gotta say Iā€™m loving the new additions in 2.0, the speed with which the foundations of a track can be laid down has always been the strong point of the Pyramid, especially WRT to rhytmics, and with 2.0 the new workflow enhancements like the simplified copying pasting and deleting make it even better.

I am looking forward to trying some denser stuff with it, once I integrate if fully into my setup.

6 Likes

Happy to read that man, I was not sure of your new statment about Pyramid (I always read your opinion on gear, cause often I find them right and reasonable).

Even if the Pyramid isnā€™t really perfect and still lacking functions (specialy about long tracks editing) I find itā€™s one of the best hardware sequencer of the moment. Except, maybe the Cirklon, that Iā€™m waiting for, but thatā€™s not the same price.
Thereā€™s still some bugs that obliged to reboot, but hope theyā€™ll be corrected on next OS. Sage advice would be to save as soon as you reach satisfying step in your project.
I use to have big projects (lot of fx, tracks and patterns), clearly sometimes Pyramid could failed managing new actions. Once reloaded the problem didnā€™t reappears till next crash.

Seems to be difficult to understand where the bug came from (not always on the same action, as if it was due to a too big amount of data to be managed), so for the moment, Iā€™m unable to signal to Squarp a real procedure to reproduce the crash in view to correct the code.

Never mind, itā€™s a great pleasure to use it, lot of fun inside.

2 Likes

Are you getting crashes when using the CC step mode? Thatā€™s where Iā€™ve consistently gotten problems and havenā€™t been able to make much headway with Squarp. When will this feel bullet proof enough to confidently abuse live?

My crashes arrived on copy/paste, in pattern mode and more generally in edition work (suppressing, moving notes, often changing pages and editing fx). For the moment cc didnā€™t seems to been problematic.
I donā€™t have sensation to do complex things before crashes, I they seems to be erratic than related to a specific procedure.

Iā€™m in communication with Squarp. They seen one off my post in a Audiofanzine forum, and they contacted me to have more informations. They are very cool, this behaviour is so rare from development staff.
So they are waiting for some path to find and destroy any bug. They asked me to sen them any clew that can help them seek problems. So donā€™t hesitate to send them picture of screen even if you canā€™t reproduce the crash.

Did you slave Pyramid to OT ?

4 Likes