Squarp Pyramid [compilation topic]

In the “MIDI implementation chart v1.00”, it says:

Clock, start/continue/stop, notes, CC, PC, after-touch & pitch bend can all be filtered.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks Peter!

1 Like

I just pre-orderen one from batch4!
Now i only have to wait until the end of May

I am really excited

You have 64 tracks per project, but projects take a second or two to load. If you have a drum machine running, you could plan transitions to be pretty painless. Supposedly they are also trying to configure it so the current tracks running will loop in the background during a project change, as well.

I own a Pyramid, its the best.

1 Like

Anybody used a Pyramid who also has lots of experience with RM1x/RS7000? There are some excellent features like timestretching MIDI loops in real-time by commonly used clock divisions, instant access to multiple patterns with changover quantized to the 16th note (also present in Elektron, of course!)

RS7K has been a workhorse of mine for ages and it would be super sweet to switchover to something more compact!

Dear Squarp users,

This is one of those simple questions that i can’t seem to find a quick answer to. Can anyone tell me:

If i place some steps on a pattern in the Squarp, then turn of the machine or switch patterns, will those steps be automatically saved? Like with the Elektron ?

or

Will any changes to a pattern not be auto-saved, like on the Electribes?

also a HUGE fan of those R-series machines…
i was thinking this new one was closer to it https://www.socialentropy.com/engine/?page_id=346

dude ive been waiting for elektron to make a monster MIDI machine for ages… put in the word!

In all cases, if you switch off, change project or change notes or anything on the current loaded project, you lost your work.
You must save all changes in view to keep them.
There’s an automatic backup of your original project when you save changes on it.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying; so its like on the Electribes, that would be a good thing for me.

I like to save my patterns when they hit a good spot, but i will also mess around with them to try and improve and usually i don’t want to automatically overwrite my stuff, like the Elektrons (and Engine) do. Somehow i don’t like working that way.

Maybe i should just get the new Electribe but all those features on the Squarp seem so interesting.

I owned this for awhile. It records live play extremely well. It also is fairly easy to step-enter notes and such. What it isn’t good at is editing what you have played in live. Also the machine is a bit big for what it does. To me, the Octatrack is the better sequencer.

Shaking my head back and forth… The Pyramid has at least 10 times the sequencing-composition features and functions the Octatrack has.

Well, the editing abilities of Pyramid has really been improoved since the last update. Now we have a good step editing workflow.

It can be, and will be certainly improoved again. I really meet the difference between OT and Pyarmid. The two completes very well.

Wow. I’ve just casually watched through the recently-added “Squarp Pyramid Basics” videos and I’m impressed. Within the next few weeks or months, I’ll be in the market for something like this: a MIDI command center for sequencing my other gear (primarily the non-Elektron things). I had been planning on the Octatrack and that might still win out, but the Pyramid really has my interest.

I’m also intrigued by the Kilpatrick Carbon but the Pyramid seems to address a lot of my needs and wants - just the XY pad and ability to use the pads as keyboard (along with support for smart chords and scales) makes this an interesting possibility as a studio and occasional performance centerpiece.

The Octatrack may win out for me due to its sampling, fx, and ability to be used as a mixer for small setups; but the sequencing and composition capabilities of the Pyramid make it an interesting choice for what my next expansion will be.

1 Like

Am having a ridiculous amount of fun using a Pyramid’s two CV => MIDI lanes to automate my Octatrack’s crossfader and arm recorder tracks with the spaghetti of signals in my modular, and to process MIDI notes from my Octatrack with step probability and quantization to scales I’m too dumb to play easily :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

Having had a few hours of playing with the Pyramid I’m quite impressed and quite surprised.
The midi fx are rather nice and seem to be added to on a regular basis, the timing so far seems great - something I was curious to know.

The track length handling sadly is just as counter intuitive as Elektron gear - for example if you have a 30 step track (assuming each step is 1/16th) then you have a page of 16 then a page of 14, rather than the far more logical scheme of having 2 pages of 15, so for me this makes polymetry virtually unusable and a real chore.

The machine seems reliable and well thought out, I will keep hold of it for a while and see how the OS develops.

@RhythmDroid It has some common ground with RS7k but not quite as developed in some areas, and more so in others, certainly worth trying though.

3 Likes

It’s not the first time I’ve read this argument. It’s logical for even numbers (but maybe i’d want 3 pages of 10 steps?) But for odd numbers of steps, how would you suggest such a feature works? If you want to have 37 steps for example? Maybe you’d have to specifiy how many steps you want on each page… The machine can’t know the intention of the user, and I guess that’s why such a feature is not implemented.

1 Like

The manual for this unit needs to be more thorough. I need to spend more time with mine, but it was a chore figuring out the most basic functions the last time I did. I’m excited by the potential I recognize though.

@RawTicks In the scenario of 37 steps it would not matter as it is not a equally divisible number, so 2 pages of 16 and 1 page of 5 would be ok. But for the most part when working with equally divisible numbers you would more often than not want pages to be of equal length, for example a 60 (4x15) step pattern is much more logically represented by 4 pages of 15, rather than 3 pages of 16 and 1 page of 12.

Elektron sequencers actually fare better here because you can just use 1 page and chaining to workaround it (albeit very wasteful of pattern memory) The Squarp does not have the luxury of many patterns due to the way it is structured, because you only have 1 pattern with 64 mute states (over simplification, but essentially true)

So I guess I feel that the Squarp strengths lie in its suite of data modification fx and composing, for live sets I’d find it very limiting if wanting to have no stopping between sections/songs.

Having said these comments I do feel though that the Squarp has enough for now to keep it interesting and useful to me, certainly the Squarp team seem committed to improving it through regular and substantial updates, and they also actively seem to be interested in user feedback for suggestions too.

1 Like

Sorry if I derail the thread a bit… and I’m just playing devil’s advocate here, but lets say we both want a 30 steps sequence, but I want 3 pages of 10 steps and you want 2 pages of 15. The machine wouldn’t know by itself. The proper way to do it would be to have a sub menu somewhere where you can specify the number of steps per page. And if someone was to code that, I’d certainly want them to be able to have different number of steps per page (for a 37 steps sequence, I might want 10, 10, 7, 10). I think it would be a great feature for the elektrons, actually!

And to return to subject, I’ve been lusting over the squarp for a while now… I’ll probably treat myself to it in the next few weeks. I think I’ve read somewhere that squarp intend to make loop handles available so that you can work the selection of steps you want to, so it would partially adress the problem of unusual number of steps per bar.

1 Like

Man the only thing that is off putting from what I’ve seen is those smart pads look tiny and aren’t velocity sensitive. They should’ve made them more like the tempest pads! Or even better like the Novation circuit it would be a super sweet hardware ableton push/live combo, but as is those pads aren’t really interesting!