Squarp Pyramid [compilation topic]

Are people using the pyramid to control their whole setup? What about when synths have their own sequencer (like Elektron gear)? Can the pyramid send pattern change messages?

I was the same, takes a while for it to fit in, not really to learn it, but to learn how best to use it within a setup. I sold my first one, but kind of missed some of the functions, then Squarp added a load of new features like the definition files and patterns so I bought another one.

My one wish is that the step view would have an event list, personally I find them much more useful than piano roll most of the time. I did on an earlier version find some hidden modes including what looked like the beginnings of an event list, but I’m pretty sure it was removed in later firmwares.

I think I’ll put a FR in :laughing:

1 Like

I don’t use it for sequencing Elektron gear, but I might one day experiment with using it to launch OT plays free tracks, and possibly multimap on DN and AK, could be a lot of fun.

Event list would be amazing, we should all feature request it! I’m hoping this isn’t the end for firmware updates as there’s a few small changes that’d make a huge difference! I wish pages were numbered so if you have 255 bars you don’t need to count your way through them to find the right page for a note or whatever

1 Like

What are you using it with?

Mostly Roland Botiques and modular, I made def files for all the boutiques so p-locking them is quite handy.

1 Like

Yeah i use it as my main hub to control pretty much everything, While i like my Elektron workflow for coming up with ideas, using it to sequence other gear over MIDI is more of chore for me when i compare to working with the pyramid, apart from the obvious limitations such tracks, length, midi effects etc. (limitations of the Elektron sequencer that is)

Of course i could use the Pyramid to trigger a sequence on them if i so wish, but haven’t played really played around with it much.

Another thing with the pyramid is that it works very well with the Launchpad X as a controller, meaning i control the pyramid, selecting tracks, muting tracks, solo tracks. This removes all “two button” actions when i want to select a track or mute/solo since i really don’t have to be in the track section to do it. Makes the pyramid even faster to work with.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’m really looking for something that can act as the sequencing hub for my gear (AR, A4, Nord lead 2x amongst other things). I would happily learn a new workflow if it meant I could do it all from a single sequencer.

Yes it will do that with ease, nothing out there will really come close in terms of sequencing power.

1 Like

I let the AR sequencer do its own thing, the Pyramid just starts it. It was (over a year ago) the same with the AK, which only did Bass and simple rhythm, both seqed in the AK.
Pyramid now sequences two AS-1’s for Bass and rhythm (rhythm usually a Cello/Viola vibe), which is great because it adjusts the HPF on those when I need to duck the low end there. On top of that it controls one or two other keyboards (recorded in Live mode). Then I can jam over the top of it.

The way I use it is really basic most of the time, as described above. So I get results fast. I try not to be too clever from the start, and just get the rhythm and melody done, mostly in Live or Track mode. Then make backups, Then try to get clever.

I think the definition files are where I get tripped up. I kinda wish they weren’t assigned to channels and were just text files that can be loaded depending on context; I’m aware of the ability to set something as channel 0 but from what I’ve tried it’s only possible to have one file like that per MIDI out.

That said though, maybe once I settle in to using it consistently with a setup I’ll be able to have a more “definite” set of def files on it.

Yeah, I think this is a key thing I need to understand. I’m still in the phase where I feel like everything I make with it needs to exploit it, haha. And I haven’t been in a melodic mood lately, more just weird sound design that doesn’t involve much tradidional sequencing, which for me doesn’t translate well to having an external sequencer.
I’m sure when I’m back in the mood to make prog vaporwave with my various romplers the Pyramid will excel :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah I still use mine as the centre of my setup. I love it. So inspiring.

I use mine daily, it’s a really comfy once you know it.

2 Likes

I wish the buttons were softer to press though, there’s a lot of key combos that I can do one handed but really cramps my hands up after a while due to having to press somewhat hard, I wonder if there’s a fix for this?

@Petajaja There is :laughing:

3 Likes

I quite like the resistance since they are still quite sensitive, i can easily “dubbel tap” but in general im not fond of the material of pads, i very much prefer the action and material of switch buttons like on the Digitakt.

So finally got around designing a simple stand for my Pyramid, done I SketchUp, and printed on my brothers Anycubic Mega S printer.

It’s sturdy and it should be enough with just one of the risers in the middle.

It raises the back edge 6.5cm so it’s quite a steep angle, I have a lower version ready to print if this one proves to be too steep.

But this allows me to see the screen and controls even from a little distance.

The stand fits snuggly so it stays on when you lift/move the unit.

Will test it this coming week and for next version will probably add some cable management etc.

16 Likes

Can anyone with a pyramid show me how the beat repeat function works ? Like can you use it on all channels to beat repeat your whole track like a looper ? I know there also is a midi loop function can these be used together to create beat repeat patterns to chop up your track midi data ?

The beat repeat works as one of the live modes. So as you play a midi keyboard you can use the pyramid’s pads to ratchet the incoming midi notes on that track. You’re able to record the beat repeat performance as long as you don’t use the count-in for some reason (record+play). However, once some midi notes are recorded on the track you cannot use the pyramid’s pads to ratchet those notes afterwards (just the new incoming midi notes).

As far as using the beat repeat on all channels simultaneously, I don’t think that’s possible. You can get creative with the midi delay effect and configure it to 100% wet for each track. Then either add the delay automation for each track on the sequence, or assign multiple incoming CCs to enable each track’s delay.

Another option would be to add muted notes on the sequence (recording in the beat repeat), then assign a knob to the “master mute probability.” That way all the muted notes on all tracks will play when you turn the knob up.

So yeah, throwing a beat repeat effect on all the tracks is a bit difficult on the pyramid since it only deals with midi. Your best bet might be trying to get that effect once everything’s audio with a pioneer efx 500 on the master or something.

1 Like

Good answer… essentially note repeat is easy enough. Beat repeat doesn’t really exist…
It’s all midi after all and beat repeat by my understanding is an audio mangling effect

1 Like