Squarp Pyramid [compilation topic]

I think they make an unbeatably powerful pair, with the OT slaved to the Pyramid and the OT sending MIDI LFOs and CC sequences to modulate the Pyramid’s midi FX.

p-locking multiple CCs per step, setting up different time bases per track, and doing simple x0x style sequencing are all faster operations on the OT. and of course there are the non-probabilistic trig conditions that the Pyramid lacks.

but overall I prefer using the Pyramid for sequencing notes and chords, multi-bar automations, and creating and triggering different pattern variations per track. you can get the best of both worlds with the combination of the two, but of course you should be ready to navigate a lot more complexity and two fundamentally different menu systems. (I prefer elektron’s but accept the Pyramid for its unique capabilities)

4 Likes

Thank you, excellent description I guess it can do some crazy stuff.

…and thanks for that great workflow/possibilities/interaction description between OT and Pyramid on Squarp forum and link.

You really take it to next level, (sorry for the corny phrase) but it’s true.

1 Like

I’m considering trying out one of these, because why not, I’ve tried every other sequencer out there. How do you sequence multiple synths at once with only two midi ports out though? Lots of fiddling with midi channels? Or can you for instance sequence the elektron boxes via USB (via a computer)?

Like all MIDI sequencers, you assign channel numbers depending on which synth you want to sequence. MIDI connections to multiple synths can be made by chaining using MIDI Thru ports or adding a MIDI Thru box.

The Pyramid‘s USB port can send MIDI messages to a USB Host device (such as a computer). The Host can forward the messages on to any other instrument.

Cool. Thanks for the info! :slight_smile:

Got my Pyramid yesterday, and have only played with it for a bit, but it’s a lovely sequencer. Workflow is fast, and it’s filled to the brim with great features. Smooth hand drawn automation being one of them! :slight_smile: Euclidian sequencer and the chords sequencer with the smart pads are so effin nice. Also, it works great alongside the Elektrons I’ve paired it with so far (A4 and AR), program changes work smoothly (as opposed to with Ableton and Push, which were a nightmare to work with in that regard) - which means you can actually save your work and work on many machines at the same time without any issues (I work with a strictly Kit 1 saved to pattern A1, Kit 2 saved to pattern A2 etc regime). Fucking great. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another great thing about the Pyramid are the instrument definitions which allow you to set up your gear with cc’s and notes mapped so that they show up in the display, there are tons of them on the Squarp forum for lots of common and some not so common machines.

2 Likes

PyraOS 3.2 released https://squarp.net/pyraos

1 Like

Did someone already try a setup where pyramid send midi to Elektron (in my case digitakt and Octatrack), so you can actually choose which sequencer to use on a certain sound? I guess it works perfectly fine to sequence a digitakt with a pyramid, but I am interested in how they can go together… For example sequence only 1 track on DT with pyramid. Or even blend sequences, like having an internal sequence on DT and then throw in one from pyramid (for example 1 note in euclidian mode to join the DT sequence…)
I read external midi takes priority on internal midi on the DT, but is this on a per note basis? Or per track?

And the same for other synths, can I send midi from 2 sequencers to 1 synth? I guess there would be conflict with the clock if both sequencers send one…

I am asking because Elektron and pyramid a both very different sequencers with different strong points. I love Elektron workflow, but sometimes I want to do something where Elektron runs short and pyramid shines.

Excuse me if already mentioned, but this thread is 430+ post long, and of course I can experiment and try out (eventually will), but I am preparing for a gig and don’t have too much time for trial and error. My pyramid arrives today and I would love to implement it in my live already :slight_smile:

I have the Digitakt and had a pyramid for a short time…ended up selling it as it was just too much for my setup. I decided I could live with the limitations of the DT for now.

When I had them both, I did use the Pyramid to sequence individual tracks on the DT, and that worked great. I’m not sure you’d be able to sequence the same synth from both the DT and the Pyramid though as most only have one Midi-In jack. I assume you could control the DT with the pyramid though and then use the DT to control other synths if needed. So I’m sure you could run the ones you want to use Pyramid features on from that, and then use the DT for other stuff, with the Pyramid as the main brain sending both Program changes and clock.

I didn’t do a ton of experiments though…so I probably couldn’t answer most of your questions. Maybe that is at least a little helpful?

Yes thanks, I ended up playing around with pyramid and DT in stead of focussing on my live set, and until it has been awesome! On pyramid you can set the midi out to OUT+THRU. this way the destination gets midi from both DT and pyramid, if DT is master of course. Otherwise I have a merge box…
But first impression of the pyramid is really good!

1 Like

Hey has anyone figured out a way or trick to tie velocity of a trigger to the repeat function on the squarp?

7 Likes

really nice demos in the video

The “wine bar pianist” really put things into perspective.

1 Like

This thing seems to have dropped off a bit. Anyone still using their Pyramids or are they fallen out of favor something else these days?

1 Like

I use mine as my main sequencer, I also have an RS7000 which is arguably a more capable sequencer but the Pyramid has a lot of creative sequencing tricks that I can do very quickly and I’m not talking about random stuff but tricks you can do to create structured / thought out music. It’s very very capable and I think a lot of its features are overlooked as being not that special but when everything is combined it adds up to a lot.

In my eyes the only other thing that compares from the research that I’ve done is the Cirklon and then that isn’t outright better either, there’s a lot for and against each of them. Saying that, I definitely hope to get a Cirklon one day but it wont replace me Pyramid :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been on the waiting list for a Cirklon for about 18 months…kinda want something in the meantime :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recently bought mine, there really isn’t anything comparable other than maybe the Cirklon which is not readily available.

In terms of sequencing it’s the brain in my setup and coupled with a MIDI router it can control pretty much anything.

2 Likes

I can’t recommend it enough really, there’s obviously things I wish it could do that it doesn’t but then that’s the case with every sequencer Cirklon included. As Fotopaul mentioned, it’s great together with a midi router, using the USB output and the two midi ports I have 48 channels of midi to play with, very handy with some of my multitimbral synths.

1 Like