Squarp Instruments Hapax vs. OXI One

Yep, hapax clock into the OXI and then both of them separately run into a mio10 midi hub

I was an early adopter of the Hapax, I think I got one of the first batch. I was very excited for it because of the MPE and MIDI recording, instrument definitions, everything else.

In the end, I found it thought a little too much in MIDI for my taste. I have been working in modular for my sequencing and constantly found myself trying to reproduce approaches I used in modular. MPE recording was great but MIDI Tape Recorder is now my choice for that.

I ordered the Oxi One and sold the Hapax. I gel with it much better for step sequencing. I love Matriceal mode. The extra CV outs are very handy. It is perhaps a bit tiny but that also means very portable.

Both companies are very good and responsive, build quality is great on both ā€” I prefer the pads on the HApax and the encoders on the Oxi, and I still wouldnā€™t hesitate to recommend either.

7 Likes

I ended up going for the hapax after reading this thread. Iā€™m also a cirklon 2 owner. The crazy thing was I just needed a sequencer that generates chords while I program my synths. Iā€™m sure I would have been happy with the oxi. Itā€™s just out of stock at the moment

3 Likes

Yeah the oxi is the best chord generator of those 3. Itā€™s pretty amazing for that.

3 Likes

Congrats, Hapax is amazing! I love mine, itā€˜s the centre of my studio now.

4 Likes

Itā€™s on my wish list given that I need to chain all my hardware synths with a central sequencer brain. Hapax or wait for a Cirklon but with the new Virus on the way, the chord mode on the Oxi and Hapax look attractive.

1 Like

If you think the chord modes look interesting I would go for the hapax instead of waiting for the cirklon (unless you have been on the waiting list since 2018 in which case maybe wait for the cirklon).

1 Like

Yup the virus is all about chords to get fat massive trance, synthwave and dark wave sounds cooking. Thatā€™s why I bought the synth as itā€™s still the undisputed king of trance. Iā€™ll try midi sequencer from my OT to the Virus once it arrives and save up for the Hapax and Cirklon since two master sequencers are vital for my large hardware setups.

1 Like

I ended up getting a good deal on the 0xi so went with that. Keen to hear others opinions as they get familiar with the hardware.

1 Like

Iā€˜ll get an Oxi eventually because I love the Hapax concept so much, itā€˜s really redefined hardware sequencing for me, primarily for its speed and creativity it allows playing live. I think the Oxi is great for its portability. The Cirklon is unobtainium to me, I do dig what Iā€˜ve seen of it in terms of build quality and feel though.

So many good options, lovely problem to have :slight_smile:

1 Like

hapax is way more complex and deep sequencer, but oxi is the right balance of ingenuity and portability.
I like both but for different reasons

2 Likes

good summary. I plan to get both oxi one and cirklon at some point in the future as my studio needs grow with more sequencing capability required. Clock and sequence the other sequencers.

Hi everyone! I just returned my Hapax primarily because I didnā€™t like the pads - they felt too much like buttons and required a bit too much force to activate. That reduced the playability for me. Iā€™m wondering, are the pads on the Oxi One the same as the Hapax?

I know neither are velocity sensitive, but Iā€™m hoping that the Oxi pads will require a ā€˜tapā€™ similar to an Akai Force pad as opposed to a ā€˜button pushā€™ like the Hapax.

Also had and almost loved the Force but it had all the ergonomics of a large pizza box and a UI to match. :joy:

1 Like

I have the Oxi One and the buttons have just the right amount of responsiveness/sturdiness ratio for me, both the actual sequencer buttons and all of the other interface buttons. I can tap them briskly without having to think about adding any more pressure than is intuitive.

For frame of reference, the buttons and pads on the Push 2 felt like they required too much pressure for me so I sold it.

That may be because Push buttons donā€™t really move vertically, in that way Oneā€™s buttons are more mechanic and have nice feedback.

Thanks. The Oxi One might be closer to what Iā€™m looking for, then.

I think the pads on the hapax are absolute perfection.

4 Likes

Oh, this makes me think that the Oxi One pads are similar to the Hapax pads. The Hapax pads had that mechanical feel too - button like.

Yeah I find that I really need that mechanical movement when Iā€™m using something with buttons, my brain is quite picky about it!

The Oxi One pads are a little softer feeling. Iā€™d say they feel better than the Hapax and are closer to how a Deluge feels. I donā€™t think the Hapax pads are deal breakers but I do agree, they feel a bit harder to perform on if thatā€™s what youā€™re doing. I usually record midi in with other controllers though so it hasnā€™t been a big deal and editing notes is fine.

But yeah, I do think Oxi One has a better feel if youā€™re using it as the controller.