Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

I hear you. 16+ would be ideal. The 8 works so nicely with the UI though- but I guess once you set your drum channels they are kind of set and forget. Also, being able to send cc per drum channel would be great. Maybe in a few OS revisions we’ll see stuff like that.

2 Likes

He did two on the Puramid. One of them is a really good overview (not a review)

I can’t try this at the moment, but could you do “CV loopback” where you use one of the CV outs back into itself as clock with a square wave lfo that you modulate?

1 Like

I’m only aware of 2: a pyramid review, an Hermod review (comparing it to the Pyramid)

Well, it’s not written that it’s an Hermod review but I assumed so as the Hermod was released a few months before this video.

I would have loved a review dedicated to the Hermod instead of a comparison. The Hermod structure is way simpler than the Pyramid (in a good way!) so starting with the Pyramid can confuse things more. At least for me haha.

Yeah, saving often is nice but having it crash (freeze) while recoding a jam is frustrating to say the least. I do very simple stuffs most of the time and it never crashes though (talking about the Hermod here). This time I had a very short pattern, half a bar whereas all the other ones where 2 bars long. I guess Hermod didn’t like it when switching from one to another. But it did not happen all the time… so that’s somehow more worrisome… if I were to do live shows (but I don’t so I can live with that haha).

Hello - a question about Program Change messages for those that have received Hapax units. The Hapax manual didn’t exactly answer this question, so I’m hoping that someone can comment.

I understand that there can be a lag with a Program Change message being recognized by an Elektron device when sequenced by the Pyramid, causing patterns to change late on an Elektron device (See: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/receiving-midi-program-changes/40834/67; Digitakt external sequencer weirdness - #5 by jcavell ). I understand this is an issue with the Elektron device and not with the Pyramid in this instance.

So my question - According to the Hapax manual, Program Change messages can be sent via the automation mode. Has anyone tested this with an Elektron device? Are you able to send the Program Change message early enough in time so that an Elektron device changes patterns and stays in sync with non-Elektron devices?

He did mention he’ll make a separate vid just on the the midi effects.

He did but with what was at the time a new MIDI FX dedicated box. Not with the Pyramid or Hermod. Well, this box seemed really powerful so hope Squarp can get inspired ; )

E-MU made a ton of rack synth modules perfect for this.

1 Like

The whole “limit to 8” of the Hapax is, for me, the biggest issue.
Otherwise, damn, this looks so smart and powerful.

1 Like

Yep … I hooked up the Hapax to my DRM1 MK3 today thinking the 8 rows on the Hapax would nicely match the 8 drum voices, then I remembered that each hihat has 2 x midi notes for open / close state, so I really need 10 rows for that drum machine! Likewise my MFB drum machines all use more than 8 midi notes - even the mighty mini MFB-522 requires 16 separate midi notes!

The question is more: do you also use all 10 Drum parts? I for me cannot remember the last time, that I used more than 8 Drum Sounds on a Drum-Rack in Ableton or Bigwig. For it it is more a question of: are 8 Patterns per Track enough. I am doing a lot of Psytrance stuff, and I might reach that 16 Tracks, 8 Patterns Limitation sometimes. But I am all in for buying the Hapax some day, just because I love Hardware, other Sequencers are either not available or bring less to the table, and if I start working on songs having that limitation in mind, I am sure I can make songs successfully in it.

Perhaps I don’t get the structure properly but it’s 8 pattern per track right?
16 tracks and up to 32 tracks with 2 projects running at the same time.
so this could be 2 tracks per gear and you’d get 16 patterns “per track” and 16 tracks.

yeah I think the tutorial one is excellent… I still refer to it occasionally and I bought my Pyramid about 4 years ago

I would love to see the blackbox and hapax doing that

It’s not about using all 10 drum parts in one pattern, it’s about setting up instrument definitions (once Hapax allows that) so that you can use any of the voices at will when need be.

2 Likes

Ah, yeah, I get it!

1 Like

From what I understand, you’re absolutely right. But my rant remains valid. To me, 16, or even 64 patterns only is unacceptable for my usage. To me it restrains a lot the style of music you can produce.

1 Like

You can use up to 64 patterns per song? damn… I’m happy with 4-8 patterns per song haha.
Or perhaps you create a live set that changes seamlessly between the tracks (I don’t) so that would explain why a huge number of patterns for a set is important (wonder if the fact that you can load the next project seamlessly would basically leads to an unlimited number of patterns as the number of projects the Hapax can hold is only limited by your SD card so this should be quite a lot)

6 Likes

As far as I know, it’s an issue that needs to be solved by Squarp.
Different engines read PrCh at different times.
In OXI, we had to adjust it to send PrCh a tad earlier.

1 Like