Squarepusher broke his wrist (stopping him playing bass) so revisited his 90s gear for the new album. Awesome interview!

This thread really reminded me that I love so much of this guys work. The title track from this EP is so so lovely

4 Likes

Totally great artist, totally doing his own thing.

A favourite:

Venus No.17 (Acid Mix)

5 Likes

Do you know Sqaurepusher ? Does ā€œTomā€ know ?

1 Like

listening through all the old tracks you posted here. Nice introduction. really great tracks

2 Likes

amazin track.

Tho theres some really good moments on the new album it comes nowhere near the dizzying heights of his early stuff imo. Sounds a bit like if a computer was trying to replicate it, if you know what i mean. lacking a bit of the pure inspiration of his early stuff. feels a bit soulless.
having said that, SPā€™s bar is set extremely high, and his talents are mindbending.
its Just (and im a total fanboy) the new album, and most of his recent work is fairly forgettable, while i can remember nearly every tune off his early 90s albums n singles. Just a personal opinion.

still, theres some good bits on it for sure. and suprisingly, a bang of drukgz era aphex off some parts too. which is nice :slight_smile:

4 Likes

i feel that too, thatā€˜s why I liked it immediately

2 Likes

I guess your brain and emotions at that time is a major factor when judging things like that. Iā€™ve concluded that Iā€™ll never experience music the same as when I was 15-20 years old, and I donā€™t know that any artist that I loved then, could possibly create a song I would love as much now.

4 Likes

My first contact with SP:

<3

3 Likes

amAzing track.
not a huge fan of that album as a whole but my golly Planetarium is a BELTER :slight_smile:

always loved this:

5 Likes
5 Likes

20 years old and still sounds so off the wall :grinning:

Sounds like when I saw him at a warehouse in Brooklyn

sorry non UK people (use a vpn etc), some things on this i havenā€™t heard.
i saw him DJ records in a tiny Bournemouth bar once, he jockeys discs with all the energy and passion of his live shows. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too! In Dallas, not Houston. Danced my ass off.

Is he alright now, or did he get longtime nerve damage? Heā€™s such a great bass player.

Seems to be fine now. Saw him twice last year, he can still shred lol

2 Likes