SPP messages with midi controller?

Translate these messages is pretty easy.

Understanding how Arranger interprets SPP is more complicated.

My idea was to use an OT midi track sending different notes as pattern position, map it to SPP.
Keeping sync, direct pattern/song jump. I had to find complex workarounds.

I should be able to reproduce it with EPPlus.

with the RK-002 you have a freely programmable microcontroller which translates every midi message into whatever msg or sys ex you want… lets say it ‘should’ be easy. :smiley:

So the Arranger and SPP. What I want is maybe a little strange.
I use all tracks in all patterns as one shot tracks/plays free. This way I can trigger bursts with midi note-on messages.

now my aim is to program the RK-002 in a way that it advances the SPP eg. on every midi note #44 (which is free in the standard note mapping in the OT manual) so I can arrange the order of my bursts and sounds as intended.

the problem is the arranger mode always advances.
but as I write I have an idea: i can stop the sequencer on every arranger advance when I loop back a midi track via the rk-002 and translate this midi note-on into a sequencer-stop or rt-stop. . . nice . . . :exploding_head:

I’ll try this tomorrow.

1 Like

hm, I replied to the wrong post, deleted it and now can not paste the same reply again… it was something like this: We updated the monitor, indeed it was not displaying that correctly, our devices can work with these messages for sure. I do not have an OT so it is pretty hard for me to help and check all these intricacies when bending MIDI on it but I’m sure a lot can be twisted to fit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How do I program the microprocessor in the cable? Would I have to buy an Arduino board? Don’t know Arduino, so that would be bummer…

@dhoinjo no need to buy Arduino, it just use the software.

@grit told me there is a new script editor I didn’t test. He will explain it better than me !

1 Like

@dhoinjo you programm it via syses messages from your interface. I tried a fastrack pro but it didnt work maybe lack of power over midi, with the UCX no problem - all hail the rme.

so it works for me now and i am veeery happy that i can use the OT integrated in my plan - i’m gonna get crazy now :smiley:

what I am still wondering and will try to figure out is what the difference between sending note #33 - Sequencer stop VS one byte realtime stop 0xFC

1 Like

You can use the free arduino IDE with the RK002 board addon as described here: RK-002 MIDI Processing? Just DUY it! - Retrokits

But you can also use the online coder to compile scripts directly into the cable via webMIDI (chrome/brave or edge preferred but I think the new firefox browser also has webmidi now), it’s in the DUY portal under your account page: https://duy.retrokits.com/ in both cases you need a midi interface which can power the RK002 and can handle sysex messages. If your interface does not power the RK002 you can sometimes use another midi devices in-thru combo in between and use the thru power of the midi device to forward+power the RK002

2 Likes