Spotify will fail

If Spotify fails it’s not as if the world of music will once again be bathed in the healing power of people paying for music…

5 Likes

I sort of hate myself when I assume that people who don’t live in “1st world” conditions or are lacking basic necessities don’t have the same interior lives/needs as those that do. I’m sure there is a world of tabla players (or fill in your own example) out there who struggle to feed their family while also dreaming of having their music one day heard paid for it, just like us here.

1 Like

If you’re talking about the video I think you are, I believe he said that his friend - Telefon Tel Aviv - doesn’t make enough money from Spotify because they release music very infrequently, but that he (as the flashbulb) does comparatively ok because he releases a lot of albums, and tours them a lot.

For what it’s worth, he seems to be one of the few YouTubers who doesn’t actually need money from sponsors and therefore seems to say what he wants. he talks about turning down a lot of money for doing adverts he didn’t want to do, he seems to give a lot of money to charitable foundations.

Sure sometimes it is a bit smug and opinionated, but it always seems well researched. I am confident in my own ability to decipher fact from opinion - so I don’t mind a presented argument. I prefer that to someone just saying whatever they think won’t annoy the people who send them free stuff.

I’m not a fan or anything, I just think - why waste so much of your energy shitting on people on YouTube, calling them failures? Who cares?

4 Likes

Absolute trash.

1 Like

More moves from a company who wants unlimited growth from feeding people scams and garbage-

3 Likes

I have a love hate relationship with Spotify. I should and one day will delete it but I do use it to preview music which if I like I go and buy on bandcamp. They also have an algorithm which actually manages to suggest me stuff I’m into unlike youtube which is convinced I want to watch videos of people doing yoga in dresses. Just the other day spotify cued an artist which is now a new favorite, Thomas Felhmann; I guess I will wait until tomorrow to buy his splendid album Honigpumpe.

4 Likes

Yeah, I know it’d be impossible in a post-Pandora world but I just want the curation that can come from all those users when I don’t have the same time to listen to new music as i had AND to make music!

I suppose I don’t need to pay for it to create weekly playlists…

2 Likes

I don’t understand why it’s not possible for Spotify to give us all the information about an album that Bandcamp provides, for example… for example: musician, producer, liner notes… like in the good ol’ days of vinyl and CDs.

3 Likes

A few months ago I wanted to abandon Spotify completely. Deleted my distrokid account and canceled my Spotify sub. Tinkered around with Plex. Set up an unraid home instance. Learned some basics Unix codes and a bit of coding. Discovered home assistant. Anyways. Plex and plexamp is a nice way of listening to music with a great user experience.

Sorry but were people unable to find new music before algorithms? As if friends, record shops, digging and music publications have never existed? I have no idea if Tidals suggestion algorithm is any good because peers, websites, forums, Discogs, searches, and Bandcamp keep me more than busy.

11 Likes

Yeeah, Thomas Fehlmann was one of my first reaches into electronic music!
My favourite of his is the Manual album.

1 Like

I look forward to listening to that one. Discovering him is like completing the Kompakt holy trinity with GAS and The Field. Anything else on that label that isn’t straight ahead minimal or dub techno?

Edit: that Manual album isn’t on Spotify or Bandcamp but enjoying that Eraldo Bernocchi super group album Winter Garden with Harold Budd and Robin Guthrie.

2 Likes

OT sorry, a question I’ve had for a while but couldn’t see a clear answer for on their website:

Have you released stuff on Spotify or other services using distrokid? If you cancel your distrokid account, do the stuff you released remain on the streaming services?

As I understood their terms when I signed up, if you ever stop paying for Distrokid, your stuff disappears from all platforms you used them to release on. I could be completely wrong though.

3 Likes

apparently you can opt in to a Leave a Legacy feature and nothing will be deleted
there’s a dedicated faq explaining this under Saying Goodbye section

https://support.distrokid.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001876613-Subscriptions

3 Likes

Youtube works fantastic as music suggesting tool if you log-out and search for some bands one likes. Then it’ll show only suggestions based on that.

4 Likes

I’m thinking of switching to YouTube Premium since I generally have been able to find everything I want on Spotify there and then the added bonus of being free of ads really sweetens the deal. Also it’s true, YouTube does actually suggest me good music from time to time.

I got YouTube premium (or at least doing a free 3 month) trial mainly to end the ads because I found myself concocting plans to murder the LiMu Emu Guy and his Emu when watching youtube videos :ghost: I figure $10 / month is cheaper than hiring a defense team :crazy_face:

I haven’t used the music version too much, but they do have some rare songs for artists that are not on spotify and apple because they use the YouTube database.

1 Like

I’ve been having pretty good experience with the youtube recommendations too! For regular entertainment videos, but for music listening/discovery as well.

Just a matter of hitting that “not interest” mark enough times until the recommendation-robot gets to know you.

1 Like

For me it seems to have phases. The algorithm will be very good at knowing what I would want for a few weeks or months and then it will have an absolutely terrible week or two as it tries to expand my taste.

2 Likes