Spotify to allow free artist uploads

idk, i have mixed feelings

2 Likes

Interesting, looks to be a beta for “selected” US artists only.

Was digging around because I’m a complete Spotify noob. Looks like you still need to claim an artist profile that must already be registered and approved, normally with a submission by one of their distributors.

Since Ive had no distributors or affiliates submit a profile, I cant claim it. So looks like you still need to pay someone to submit one of your releases, so you can claim the profile page and then ditch the distributor.

1 Like

I bet this is part of the beta so that there’s some familiarity among artists who are already on streaming platforms. This will be interesting to see the tools open up to artists that aren’t previously distributed by another licensing agreement. At that point, it would be more of a threat to SoundCloud. (i’m speculating hard)

This is interesting to me as I don’t like the lack of contact support from SoundCloud pro.

“For now…”

Sounds / reads to me like a push for market share; VC101; then squeeze later.

2 Likes

I think the only model that is truely 100% artist controlled and hence non-evil is selling your wares out the back of your car boot. Not sustainable in the long term so…

2 Likes

There was a time I could live for 6 months or more from song royalties. Down payment for a house, new car, etc. these days I’m lucky to make a months worth of bills on my best quarter. Fuck Spotify
Or maybe I’m just being crabby, but I still just buy music I like and try to suppprt the artists as directly as possible

8 Likes