Spilled coffee over my Digitakt, please help!

Hey guys, this morning i managed to spill a good part of my cup of coffee over the DT. At first it was acting strangely (no surprise), but after opening the casing and some cleaning i got everything working exept the Bank Button, which is where the majority of the liquid went. The Bank Button doesn´t react at all anymore. Any hints or tips how out to fix this? I have contact cleaner, but i`m not sure where to apply it…
Any help appreciated!

let it dry

1 Like

For other people who face this:

============

Since you are comfortable opening the box, the contact cleaner sounds like a good thing once it’s dried.

I’d also talk to Elektron service, they should be able to help more.

3 Likes

Switch to espresso :wink: and make it a short one…

1 Like

Was it just black? I think you will be absolutely ok if so, even without contact cleaner.

What is the relative humidity where you’re at (indoors)? If your place is pretty dry then air drying for 2+days should do it. If you want to put in airtight container with rice or other desiccant then that will help too.

A good douse of contact cleaner will not hurt and then put DT in airtight rice filled container.

I work in rivers and we drop electronics in them all the time!!! This is how we roll.

Sam

6 Likes

In actual rivers??

1 Like

First rule, pour it Out and dont Turn it on.

Was it Just Coffee, or worse Coffee with milk, or even more worse Coffee with milk and sugar?

I never bring food or Drinks near to my Gear.

1 Like

Yeah @tengig I do! And I’m really experienced at dropping stuff in rivers:) hehe.

3 Likes

im not sure if this will help but I heard putting a wet phone in rice will bring it back to life after the rice absorbs all the water. Not sure if the starch would damage the board tho.

This quote made my day, lol. :rofl:

To the OP, I hope that it starts working for you.

1 Like

Thanks for your replies!

No, coffee+milk, no sugar added.

First rule, pour it Out and dont Turn it on.

I turned it on rather immediately to see if everyting works once i had wiped away everything on the outside :frowning: Then i saw the knobs flashing randomly and i turned it off again. I opened the casing and i saw the coffee was already partly dried up and had left some sticky parts because of the milk. I tried to clean out as much as possible using water and q-tips. When it seemed dry, i turned it on again, and everything was back to normal, exept the Bank Button.

However, i tried again today, and now the bank button sometimes works, so it seems to get better. The air in this room is rather dry, so maybe i will let it rest for one or two more days and see what happens.

1 Like

Damn! Milk is Bad because its going to smell terrible after a few days.

Hope it doesn’t make the tracks too cheesey…

4 Likes

Or the Performance stinks…

You probably have dried milk and coffee inside the button and encoder contacts, maybe worsened because you turned the knobs and stuff while it was wet and it was able to work its way deeper into the nooks and crannys. The intermittent connections could worsen over time, as the spill residue, physically, may attract more dust and dirt and/or chemically… who knows? , but coffee is acidic. Historically, dried milk has and can be used as paint (caisein paint. it pretty durable too.)
Really, you should take it apart and clean everything really really well with distilled water (rinse off even) and let it dry really really well before reassembly and reuse.

…or likely, you damaged something permanently by running it when it was still wet and something shorted and fried. other things may still work if it was a minor part or multiplexer or something… but there will be a lot of weirdness.

I think that your best bet is to pay elektron to service it.

You should have left it for a day or 2 after you shook it out, turning it back on while wet broke something .

Digifukt?

2 Likes

This. Listen to. Milk can also start to attract mould. And as mentioned above, it can smell terrible.

1 Like

get a bag of rice, empty it and place the digtakt inside whatever you’ve empied the rice into. Rice will soak the inside moisture up if left for around 2 days. Just make sure no rice can get into any holes. Has always worked for me.

Update: everything working again! The Bank button just came back to life by itself. My guess is some liquid went into the button itself which i wasn’t able to clean, but it dried up. Now no problems. For future reference: the rice drying method should work fine, but if there are any sticky substances you will have to clean the remains inside the casing nontheless. This will also prevent bad smell and sudden cheesyness of your tracks.

4 Likes