Spilled Beer on my Op-Z, so I opened it up (NOW WITH VIDEO OF THE SPILL)

Here’s a pic of the inside of the op-z:

The red encoder was completely stuck after the beer dried. I opened’er up, cleaned the bearing and lubed it a bit.

It’s a bit scratchy feeling but it’s all working again.

Whew.

Don’t spill beer on your Op-Z.

16 Likes

Thank you for sharing the photos and congratulations on not ruining your expensive new synth!

2 Likes

Did you happen to notice whos’ chips they’re using on the OP-Z?

1 Like

I did not and now your zoom is as good as mine. (Sorry! I don’t know enough about chips to take note)

1 Like

here’s video of the session where I spilled on the 'Z:

It was so stupid. I have no idea how I did this.

The spill is around 1:47

4 Likes

Aargh! You were making sick beats too. I super-liked the drunken feeling stuff right at the start.

It’s in my head. Do, do do, do, do, do, do do, do do…

1 Like

a bit more like doo, doo,…

(thank you.)

1 Like

:smiley:

You plumwrinkle!

Sorry…

Couldn’t be helped.

1 Like

:rofl: sorry but why did you stop so abruptly and then saying that to your audience, bit of a shame! Couldn’t you just jam and come up with something on the fly on the Octratrack and just switch of the Opz?

1 Like

yeah, i definitely could have kept going but i wanted to start drying the 'Z as quick as possible. I’d already gone like 35 minutes at that point, so there was no need to fill any more time.

i was like, “oh, shit! … just gonna filter this off quick. yep. done.”

i shoulda coulda woulda quick-grabbed a flex recording of that pattern though, and sliced it up and kept going if I’d needed to.

i’d hate to think it was a practice run for the next spill.

1 Like

better beer then this hahaha think it was at a Richard Devine gig, maybe if you continued on the opz it would make the next big circuitbend hit :rofl:

1 Like

i hope that is an outdoor venue!

Lucky you. I’ve def had many of those incidents myself even with my no-beer-on-the-instrument-table rule. Glad you got it working again.

1 Like

I read somewhere that they use Cirrus Logic audio chip

impressive

1 Like

Let’s keep it real though, this thread was primed for a comeback.

2 Likes

Have had many spills during gigs. Sometimes you don’t even notice until you unpack the next day when you see the sticky beer spots on the gear.

Always prepare for the worst. Have a few released/recorded tracks on your OT that you can mix into the set if needed.

Speaking of spills…I saw this one today

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzZ-P33rc36/?igshid=Y2NkYjk0MDhjYg==

1 Like

I’m a bit uptight when it comes to liquids and electronics. When I drink my tea, it’s usually from my mini-thermos which can be closed so nothing will spill out if it tips over. If it’s a regular cup or something else which can’t be sealed then it’s not allowed on the table. Then I’ll put it somewhere else close by. And I always drink away from, never above the equipment.

Now, that’s at home/work/studio. If I played live it’d be a different matter, I think. Then I’d probably be swinging alcohol all over the place :drunk:

1 Like