SP404 MK2 or Blackbox?

Depends on the purpose. I use the multiple outputs for resampling through external gear, for example. It works, but you have to be careful - you might literally fry your ears if you don’t know what you’re doing.

I’m gonna repeat that once more - be careful. The equipment can probably handle it, but your ears might not, if you don’t watch your levels.

But it works :slight_smile:

For internal resampling, there’s a feature for that so no need to rewire the outputs to record an entire performance back into the blackbox, for example. It can do that on its own.

And it allows for internal rewiring between the outputs as well, though other than for resampling through outboard gear, I’m not sure why you’d want to do that if you don’t intend to send the audio through a mixer.

The onboard mastering section is actually quite efficient, so if you’re going for complete and final results, you’d do a lot worse than the blackbox alone. It’s a clean and bordering on harsh character on the four band eq included for mastering, but watch the frequencies and you’ll be fine. And the compressor, providing that you push it, has a subtle but very nice punch once you find its sweet spot.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to answer. I am not sure I understand the first part of your reply, some of the terminology might escape me or I might not be making myself clear. What I mean is simply this: can I take a synth, connect it to the mini jack input of the BB, adjust gain levels and press record? Can I do the same with headphones and monitors, no mixer involved at any point?
Regarding resampling, all clear!

Yes. It has no pre-amps, but you won’t need that for synths. Guitars and microphones won’t work all that well, but synths, samplers, drum machines - no problem.

Yes. You need no mixer to amplify the headphone signal to a decent (or even pretty goddamm loud) level. And the outs translate fine to monitors, though if you’re going straight to monitor from the blackbox, I recommend the headphone output. The actual outs are eurorack level and you have no direct control over them, and they can be LOUD - so if you’re going from blackbox to monitors, use the headphone jack.

1 Like

That was very helpful! I have another minor question but I will post it on the BlackBox thread. Cheers!

1 Like

This thread is perfect for me and I have a feeling I’d be better off with a Bbox. I started off on a sp404 in 2005 when I first decided to start making music. To me the 404 is one of the most frustrating and difficult tools or instruments?? To be fair I have never got along with anything roland. Just hate the work flow(except the tr8).
So after 17 years on and off I’d say I’m pretty good on the original 404 and the dream was always to have 2 404’s that could time stretch and maybe a better sequencer. The mk2 delivers on all that and more. Just like its younger brother it sounds incredible!!! But also like its little brother I find it frustrating and infuriating at times!
I am not having an easy time converting from og404 to mk2…
Due to sentimental reasons I’m going to stick it out. But BBox was on my short list just before they announced the mk2. Now I’m selling alot of gear and just focusing on leaning the mk2 and forcing it and myself to make it the centerpiece of my setup!

I go back and forth with these two choices also. For me, I dont have a drum machine so I will use either one for drum samples sequenced from either my Pyramid, Squid, or A4.

I’ve had both a few times and always have a stroke thinking about which one to get.

I love the size of the BB, I love sampling into it. But, I love having the portability of the SP and also ALL those banks of samples available. Plus routing one of my synths through the audio in’s for FX.

I dunno…cant decide yet again.

Yes… sp404 just sounds so great to me. Honestly its like a mediocre sampler sequencer, (I guess now with chromatic and an envelope we can call it a groovebox? ) but it has incredible fx! Its not a traditional sound design tool, but for changing or mangling a sound its top notch. The effects engines are worth 80% of the price. For me the usb audio interface is worth another 40% of the price making it an amazing value. Also for better or worse it deffinently makes you work differently, even though now it has alot more old school mpc vibe to it.

1 Like

It took a minute for me as well but well worth the new frustrations to add much-needed features!

The 404MKII thread here is fantastic and our fellow Naut @NearTao has a ton of great vids up on youtube.

2 Likes

That’s my problem with every sampler lol, most of them offer something that makes them desirable, sometimes it’s the form factor, sometimes it’s the UI, sometimes it’s the feature set, sometimes it’s the feel…samplers are a dangerous spending pit, lol…I have an SP404 and have been eyeing a Blackbox since release, but thank God I’m not that big on touchscreens so so far I’ve been able to remain disciplined.

I just read the @NearTao guide and joined his discord. Will check out the thread here. I mostly make techno and like I said its mostly a sentimental and nostalgic choice to go mk2. I guess for me it feels very menu-ey now :face_vomiting:, and not because I’m digging through tons of sub menus but because simple functions lock up the rest of the device! This was not the case on the original! Example, when you mute an fx bus or adjust the volume on a bank, why not allow me to sweep the filter while I fade the volume on the bank?!?! And yes, you couldn’t do that on the mk1, BUT when you turn down the volume its using the encoder leaving the control knobs usless?!
Don’t get me started.

Haha. That completely sounds like the SP workflow.

It’s a wonderful machine. I’ve been playing patterns of drum loops while resampling my prophet 6 into a separate pad solo’ed.

Game changer.

1 Like

This all I ever wanted from the 404SX. Easy way to monitor, sample with metronome, and overdub. I’ll take the other 404 frustration for these features alone, but that’s me!

1 Like

Yeah, what got me so excited for the SP404mkii in the first place was sampling instruments. I think that’s one of its best features.

2 Likes

Been digging in… so many button combos and sub menus… the thing is deep. I’m coming around on it. Interface still feels a bit clumsy, but I have made it over the hump.

Isn’t it true that you cannot record in loops that stay in time, you have to stop and manually place them by hand and hope you get it slightly close to on-time? Is that not completely insane?

Edit: ok so theres a “end snap” feature to make perfectly timed loops but… you can’t loop, you have to stop it after recording it once to save it :man_facepalming:t2: I’ve decided not to get the SP for this, I don’t even need to loop stuff, just the philosophy of this is putting me off too much ha

roland’s philosophy is my way or the highway. their way certainly made a mark on the music world as a whole tho so must not be too insane. or its just insane enough :japanese_ogre:

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately it is true. I cannot record loops in time on my SPmk2 unless I get really, really lucky. But there are those out there greater than me that can. Total sickness.

Hi, curious how this goes, is this more for production than live performance? Cuz afaik you can’t loop record the prophet in that case, you have to record, stop, trim, play it each time

I just ordered one and didn’t know that :sob:

I think that the lack of timed looping possibly made sense in earlier SP-404 models when everything seemed pretty free-form. But with the TR-REC step sequencer present on the MKII, it seems like a real miss not to have the ability to record a sample for a set number of bars now.

2 Likes