Isla S2400

There is another one by some guy doing it independently, I think.

LowHiss

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChkFTIvuDFN0TNhS1_do-nw

Hardware-wise I think its supposed to have knobs instead of sliders.

Then there is the one by ISLA instruments which is the one pictured above.

3 Likes

Nice to see @bradholland moving in this direction with the ISLA brand, at least i was right on the kickstarter part of it.

I will certainly buy this allthough I predict delivery in quite some time :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

there’s an interview with the creator and flux live right now

3 Likes

seems like its going to be a long wait

I’m an SP owner and I am
Impressed

2 Likes

I wish I was an SP owner, its the only piece of gear I want to get because of its significance more than anything. Ill be happy with this one though.

2 Likes

Happy one is being made.

Not happy how long it took.

I see this being available sometime next year

Until then

1 Like

Wow - less than $1000 … that’d be cool if they hit that goal.

1 Like

For me it is not about price but about WHEN, and based on the 2 years it took Kordbot to go from concept to delivery. I think we realistically are looking at a 2021 delivery IF this goes into production.

I will 100% buy into this one, but I am not sure I am ready for the “pay upfront hear no updates” part of the long waiting journey at this point. But lets hope ISLA learned from communication errors that were made in the Kordbot development process.

Maybe someone else will release one before they do, if people start to show interest for these rumors then someone that can build these faster could do it. I know there is one other solo guy doing one but im sure other companies are checking out what the reactions are.

Id certainly like it to cost less than an Octatrack unless its feature packed, but at that point its no longer something like a sp1200 but something different on its own.

I was one of the chorus of people calling for this over the last few years.

Now the next logical change in direction is toward more hybrid digital and romplers releases…

2 Likes

edit, wrong thread.

Back in March, Isla Instruments caused a stir with a preview of the SP 2400 sampler. The device, which takes after E-mu’s SP 1200, has been officially launched with a pre-order price tag of $949.

The device’s full reveal confirms two features: the ability to load both 24- and 12-bit samples as well as a similar workflow to the SP 1200. The SP 2400 features eight channels, all of which can be panned. It’s also worth noting that channels 7 and 8 can be ‘linked’ should you want to use stereo audio content.

Other useful features to make the cut include a dedicated mic preamp as well as a pedal-controlled looper mode.

As for I/O, the SP 2400 arrives with a headphone out – with independent monitoring of channels – along with USB ports to connect thumb drives, keyboards and MIDI controllers directly to the sampler.

Check out a preview of the device below

2 Likes

Believe it or not, the main thing I’m not into is the size. I’m just not into drum machines that are this big anymore; I like compact.

Also, I really wish it had actual lofi AD/DA converters. I feel like there’s a noticeable difference between all the bit-reduction algorithms I’ve tried, and using something like a WMD Geiger Counter Pro or OTO Biscuit.

Actually, I ended up ordering a Gotharman LD2 with the SP Filter card, and it’s supposed to arrive tomorrow. Gotharman actually sourced the original part used for the DA of the SP12 output. It’s only a single mono channel, but I’m eager to hear how my favorite drum samples sound coming out of it.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for review let us know how it is

1 Like

I going to wait for it to release, high hopes for it but thats a steep price to preorder.

1 Like

another 7 trillion of same copy/paste lo-fi hip-hop tracks imminent

2 Likes

It’s great that someone has the balls to do this, but have my doubts to whether the low fi hip hop sound is worth that money. Nostalgia and rarity vs wallet.

They have a formidable line up of beta tester’s on board and the website looks upfront and transparent.

Features such as live looping and full duplex recording look good on paper, but hope they are not an afterthought.

I have a working copy of emulator X3 software on one of my laptops, one of the effects plugins is SP1200 mode and you can vary the bit rate down to Atari 2600 4 bit territory if you want.

I hope they have not taken anything from this. Who know Dave Rossum, may have been consulted on the reverse engineering process!! Very tempted, but need a holiday.

3 Likes

I dont think its meant to be a lofi machine. If anything the SP404 is more of that and the effects you hear in those playlists are from that sampler. For me its more of a workflow thing, the line of faders for each pad is unique for that sampler, they dont work the same way the OT fader does. I still want to see what it will be like but the fact that they decided to make it a 24 bit sampler with 12 bit options means that its not the only trick it can do. Doubt it will have all the limitations that the 1200 had, seems more like the evolution of it.

Is this real 12 bit AD/DA or 24 bit downsampped with SSI filters.