Source Audio Atlas Compressor pedal (stereo + so much under the hood)

If Microlimiter had a 200hz HPF SC I’d be in heaven.

Good news is I might be saving $229+tax

Source Audio responded to my email quite expediently.

“this is intentional. You can compensate for some of it with a high shelf boost using the treble control of the parametric EQ”

So, sadly, I will be returning the pedal to Sweetwater on the grounds of poor fidelity.

1 Like

Hmm ok.

I might still have a go at it myself.

related:

It’s too bad this Empress Compressor isn’t stereo I/o.

Advertises transparency, and has selectable SC HPF, for a very similar price. They make a bass version as well, but still mono.

If there are any stereo compressor/limiter pedals with SC HPF that anyone is aware of, I’m all ears. Feels like I’m on the hunt now, and I’d not like to go back to RNC with the inline HPF trick. Looking for something more portable.

Yeah, similar research has had me wondering how the compressor algorithm in the Empress Zoia is in comparison i.e. is it stereo and if so, what sort of modules could I then use as a sort of final polish for live performance

1 Like

I’ve looked longingly at the Zoia for some time but I think lack of metering would shy me away from using it as a compressor. If I can’t find anything I’ll probably just lean on using an OT input track with Compressor followed by EQ, and EQ controlled by MF Twister for bass kills (this is my workaround for lack of HPF SC). Though another RNLA with FMOD 200hz HPF inline might tempt me if I see an RNLA for the right price.

3 Likes

The Zoia interface is kind of a joy-killer for me. Too small and fiddly. Does sound great in a lot of applications tho.

Wouldn’t the RNC be perfect in your use case? In addition to the pumping/character effects that the ST can already provide, I can’t think of a more transparent way to shave off a few db.

4 Likes

Yea, something I’ve learned about Syntakt is how effective the inverted EG is for pseudo-compression. It really helps with lack of HPF, but doesn’t eliminate the need entirely.
RNC would work, but they are out of stock everywhere, strangely (unless you want to pay an inflated price on Reverb). RNLA has good stock at a few places, though, and the balanced outputs are nice.

Sad about the Atlas. The HPF and lookahead are quite good. SA really missing out here by limiting the frequency response of this pedal.

I have both the RNC and the RNLA if you want to work out a trade for the Atlas. I prefer the pedal format and could deal with the high shelf issue should it be a problem with my Boss EQ-200 at end of chain.

Currently I have an RNLA on the main with my RME in the sc loop providing 75hz high pass. It’s a bulky solution, though I also use the RME to record my sets to USB stick.

Bought it instead of the RNC bc that was already not available months ago.

1 Like

I ‘d totally recommend buying two for stereo use if you can.

I have the bass version and is ine of the best sounding comp I’ve tried. Using it in bass, keys, drums and even post processing vocals from a DAW.

I think for mix bus duties it is better the bass version, since you can continously change the HPF frequency.

Also both (bass and non-bass) have a sidechain input.

Got a cheap FMR RLNA and paired with a 150Hz HPF SC it just sounds amazing for my needs! Had the SA pedal on my wishlist but now after I have read this thread it’s a no-go for me

Combining 2 mono comps will do weird things to your stereo field hé.

1 Like

There really seems to be a missing piece in the market when it comes to pedal/tabletop compressors. I 100% understand why Stimming went with his Instant Mastering thingy.

I really wish there was a way to make Parts on the OT not affect the Master track. Using the master as a final eq and compressor is almost impossible if you’re using parts too. That would almost be a perfect solution for me. In the meantime…

The Atlas looked good, bust shame about this issues. Anyone tried the SuonoBuono compressor? nABCp - Suonobuono - boutique music instruments, from Sweden

Looks interesting, but no eq. However with a real side chain I could almost forgive that and get a separate eq pedal.

3 Likes

I looked at that one with great interest, but as you say it’s a sidechain input, not filter or send/return. Bummer.

RNC/RNLA with inline HPF or cheap eq pedal remains the best solution. But yea, Atlas was so close.

So many are 95% there. I liked the look ahead option on the atlas. No one notices 1.5ms

1 Like

It’s enough to drive a man to start his own pedal company, I tell you!

2 Likes

As a small format master buss compressor, the Elysia Xpressor Qube (self-standing box in 500 format) fits the bill really well. Fully analog, stereo signal path, side-chain filter, true bypass, xlr and trs balanced ins and outs, etc.

2 Likes

Hi, yea we’re kinda talking about much less expensive options here. Hehe :upside_down_face:

Yes, I agree, but one of the previous posters mentioned Stimming’s magical master buss device, so I thought of the Xpressor Qube (which sells for less than 1000 EUR)…

Much cheaper, and in Eurorack-land, I actually bought and I am quite happy with the WMD MSCL - it is stereo and has a side-chain input, one-knob compression ratio/make-up setting with the.possibility to push it more towards limiting and a simple but quite effective way of lowering threshold for non-Eurorack signals. Also has a switch on the back to choose between rms and ‘adaptive’ (I guess: peak) triggering. After the compressor it has a ±35db gain stage. And it weighs only 4hp!

2 Likes