Sounds from the Shed -Video Collection - The home of Marvellous Analogue Musical Goodness : )

Excellent and thoughtful post :+1:

Thanks, was not sure, if it wasn’t a bit too long and off-topic …

No rules in this thread, anything goes!!! lol

But joking aside you do make some insightful and thoughtful posts.

That’s certainly true for a number of instruments, but just one voice, synth or on a modular system, being modulated in a thoughtful way will convey more than just hitting a piano key.

:alien: thread abducted

I would say, it’s true for all monophonic played instruments, be it a mechanical instrument or a synth.

I absolutely agree that synths are the most versatile sound generators we have and I think, this is the reason, why we love our synths so much :smiley:

But there is a difference in the feeling produced between a very well modulated synth voice and a “polyphonic sound”.

• A monophonic instrument or sound creates a timbre, which is centered around a single note. Even the most versatile instrument does not escape this (I don’t regard here the option of detuning a multi-VCO synth according to a chord).
  • A polyphonic instrument can create chords, which generate a different feeling. Let’s just consider a Cmaj compared to a Cmin, or a Cmin7 to a Cmaj7. Even if we pick out only the two “right” notes of the triad or quad, there will be a very different feeling created, which is not possible by playing one single note only. It’s even not the single notes of a chord, it’s the context of the notes and this takes at least two notes of course.

Just as an example, because I love those instruments. Let’s imagine a bagpipe has lost all it’s drones. How would that sound. A little like an oboe or a shawn. But let’ts put the drones on again and it will shake the bones of the foes miles ahead on the battlefield. It’s not only loudness, it’s about notes having a particular relationship of notes beeing played at the same time.

I think this is also the reason, why we often use multi-VCO synths to play fifth or other intervalls. It just sounds and feels different :wink:

Huuhhh … again a long post … :thinking:

Todays video

2 Polymaths at Play

1 Controlled from a generator

1 Played from a Telemark keys

Fx Polymath Spring reverb, plus reverb and delay from the Qu32

I recorded the stereo out of the Qu32 for a quick and easy mix :slight_smile:

Only realised when editing I’d a pair of shorts on with the ass ripped out of them - so no peaking at my boxer shorts!!! :blush:

One of the pups trying to get your attention away from the synths?

As ever, it sounds great.

Great sound again, I like the track.

And the little misfortune with the fashion style, well, TBH, I wouldn’t have noticed, if you hadn’t mentioned :wink:

@DavyP

Can I ask you a question about the Generator? How are those four rhythm knobs working exaclty?

Yesterday I downloaded the manual and was quite disappointed about the explanation of this function. The manual just says, check it out yourself, it’s too hard to explain. Hmmm … :thinking:

Background: I have the Fusebox and it’s manual explaines very well what the two knobs of the the Patternator do.

I’ll have a go at explaining :slight_smile:

Each knob controls four gates

Knob 1 gate 1, 5, 9, 13
Knob 2 gate 2, 6, 10, 14
Knob 3 gate 3, 7, 11, 15
Knob 4 gate 4, 8, 12, 16

Its just a case then of making the adjustments to the knob to select the gate you want. So depending on the knob position you can quickly and easily select the gates you want or deselect the ones you don’t. This part you would need to try to get what I mean but it is similar to the Patternator

They’re really handy and with practice you can dial up different styles of gates in seconds. They can also be used with the voltage generator so as you touch a keypad a different gate pattern is selected and played.

It’s really quite a user friendly sequencer and really intuitive to use.

They are all snugged together snoring in bed at the moment, they’re like students, they will get up when they are hungry :smile:

Thank you very much to take the time to explain this to me.

I remember a video with Tom Carpenter and his prototype of the sequencer and he told us that he would take the concept of the Patternator to the next level. After this I was very interested in the progress, but after release of the Generator I didn’t find a tutorial or demo, which explained, where the particular strengths of the Generator are.

Now I see. This makes much sense for live playing and doing variations of pattern in a “different way”. Generator is definitely on the shopping list now.

I use the Generator all the time, even as a modulation sources it’s brilliant.

Gate knob demo!

Thank you to point me to this excellent video. It explains much to me. It seems that I missed this.

The video on the Analogue Solutions web-site shows off that we can do fancy things with the Generator, but I had no idea, if this would be something for me. Tom Carpenter should have links to your videos and pay you some credit :+1:

Put this one together this afternoon and just finished it.

Took a loop with 2 Polymaths sequenced by Generators and played about with the mixer.

Pretty damned groovy. Where’s the album? This is the kinda music I am always hoping to find.

Ta Scot.

It’s something I’ve always thought about doing, but just have to sit down and focus on.

I’ve always tons of ideas so i guess coming up with stuff would be straight forward. But I also get side tracked easily trying different stuff out, so having the patience to sit down and “properly” finish something is the tricky part :slight_smile:

Got up early this morning (again!) as I wanted to change about some sounds as i wasn’t happy with my kick drum.

So I switched the Nyborg to hats and the Telemark to kick :slight_smile:

Here’s a quick play of it, I still might make a few more tweaks to give it a bit more presence but I’m happier now with the sound :slight_smile:

This is a strange little tune but a lot of thought went into the note structure. I wanted as much as possible to not have notes overlap so made careful gate choice, on top of this I used the intensity feature of the generator along with a a slow lfo that I timed to trigger the second generator roughly every other 16 steps making a change to the gate pattern and causing the speeding up of the arp sound of the second polymath.

The Polymaths are playing paraphonic chords, the first one designed to sound almost like a voice.

The Fuse box is playing an Arp again designed to complement the other gates and overlap as little as possible.

So whilst its a weird song it was planned out to some degree! :smile:

4 Knob turns, 4 Basslines

A gate knob demo of the Analogue Solutions Generator :slight_smile: